SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P225A1 First Impressions

6K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  animalhd1 
#1 ·
Second day shooting this new pistol. I'm very happy with it. The accuracy is superb. I had zero issues through 300 rounds. The trigger, grip and overall balance and feel is fantastic. Not really an issue but I will mention that the right side grip screws worked lose. Cleaned thoroughly and blue locktighted all the screws. This gun has a handy feel to it that I really like.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to drift the thread, but my experience this week with my 225 A-1 is like the OP's.

I looked in the safe and decided I needed to part with some items for space. My 229 SAS and the 225 both are smaller than my 226 and full size 320 and can fill the same role. I thought maybe one of those should go.

Went to the range to put a couple of hundred rounds downrange with each in order to decide which one I liked the best. I came away still in love with both. The 225 is just dead accurate.

Maybe the answer is simple: get another safe!

#5 ·
Another safe would be my answer. I really like my P229 SAS 9mm and would never part with it. Fully loaded the P225A1 is noticeably lighter (7 less rounds) and is also slightly smaller and slimmer. I usually carry a G19 and wanted a Sig that would be similar in comfort level for carry. I do believe I've found that gun. I prefer the DA/SA trigger system. The G19 always seemed handier than the P229 with a simple IWB holster that I can clip on and off as needled or throw in my briefcase. I got the High Noon "Upper Cut" for it and it works great. For me the P229 requires an OWB rig.

#6 ·
What mainspring are you running? If you're running the original red mainspring, change that out and your P225A1 will be a totally different animal.

Mine has the smoothest lightest DA trigger of any DA sig I've shot (and I own a bunch). It literally feels like a knife through butter and now all my other sigs feel gritty. I don't know why, maybe I just got lucky.

#11 ·
What mainspring are you running? If you're running the original red mainspring, change that out and your P225A1 will be a totally different animal.

Mine has the smoothest lightest DA trigger of any DA sig I've shot (and I own a bunch). It literally feels like a knife through butter and now all my other sigs feel gritty. I don't know why, maybe I just got lucky.

What lb. spring to you out in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Hodge, did yours come with the red mainspring? Just curious as mine did not. I'm thinking Sig must have used the red during earlier production to make it more like the original P6 but have since changed to a normal weight spring.

#9 ·
I got one on a GB auction a few weeks ago and have not shot it yet. Mine had th contrast sights so I have swapped those out for XRays already. It's like a mini Legion now. Reading this scroll makes me want to get it out really bad.

Reactions: animalhd1
#10 ·
Get that bad boy out! What are you waiting on? Mine came with Sig night sights and I've always liked them. I've heard the term "mini legion" used before to describe this gun. I don't own a legion so I don't have a comparison on that. I know I'd be interested in a set of those grips for my P229SAS! Hogue really did a great job on these P225 grips.

#15 ·
My 225 A-1 went to Robert Burke and came back with a flat wire spring. I do not know the weight of it.

#23 ·
I got one a few weeks back. I have about 100 rounds through it so far. It has been nothing but great in all aspects. I still have some more practice and training to do before I am comfortable rolling it into an EDC role. That said - I can see where my P239 SAS may be retired from EDC.

#24 ·
I have changed out several hammer springs in P225A1's and they all were red DAK springs. The standard SHORT P228-P229 hammer spring makes a world of difference in the gun. I've been running one in mine since the second week I bought it and with over a year plus over 8,000 rds on it.....its still going strong. Honestly its the cheapest and only needed upgrade the P225A1 needs.

#30 ·
Thanks a lot for the status report, now I want one even more LOL! :D

In regards to your comment about the grip screws, I've found that G10 is such a hard material that the grip screws just don't get any bite. I've had the same problem on all of my guns with G10 grips not just the Sigs.

I just thought I would share a solution that I like better than applying Locktite. I put a tiny rubber O-ring on the screw before installing so that when you tighten it down against the G10, it compresses the rubber under the screw head and gets a good bite/friction contact. The screws never work loose with the O-rings and there is no chance of messing anything up with the Locktite.

Here is a link to what I use:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9262K441

#32 · (Edited)
I just thought I would share a solution that I like better than applying Locktite. I put a tiny rubber O-ring on the screw before installing so that when you tighten it down against the G10, it compresses the rubber under the screw head and gets a good bite/friction contact. The screws never work loose with the O-rings and there is no chance of messing anything up with the Locktite.

Here is a link to what I use:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9262K441

Do the o-rings make the screw heads protrude from the grip? They are already borderline on my P225-A1 without anything under the head.

#36 ·
I think the only change I would make to the p225a1 would be the magazine-its such a nicely designed gun and the magazine looks like a complete after thought. It could easily be a 9 or 10 round mag, but its just a p239 mag with a stupid plastic spacer base plate. For carry I prefer no beavertail or front cocking serrations.

#38 ·
This is where I'm at^. Sig unfortunately has a history of not worrying about squeezing all possible capacity into any of their guns. P228/229=13rnds/ mec-gar does 15 reliable and still flush. P226 9mm Sig= 15/ mec-gar says up to "18" rounds and still flush. P226 .40/357 Sig =12 / mec-gar = 13. I'm sure Sig could have just said "Hey Mec-Gar build us a magazine here's the new gun and some cash". I'm betting 9 rounds could have been done without changing the follower. Oh well it's what Sig does. I'm sure the new checkmate mags that Sig is switching to will be great as well! < sarcasm

#44 ·
Glad to see they are changing the hammer springs to realistic ones.

I have one with the wood grips and I agree that the grips would get best up carrying them. My poor P225A1 has many miles and many rounds fired, yet it still keeps coming back for more.

Now if only they would bring back the P220 in 9mm like they did with the P225......

#52 · (Edited)
Spent a little more range time with this gun yesterday, along with my P229SAS 9mm. I went back and forth a few times. My P229SAS is still a favorite but know longer "the favorite". Every time I picked up the 225 after shooting the 229 the 225 just felt better. As far as shoot ability goes, I would say they are equal, accuracy equal, fastest "accurate" follow up shots- pretty much equal with maybe a slight edge to the 229, felt recoil - equal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.