SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I think SIG marketing is asleep on the 225-A1. A 10 round variant of the magazine would make the pistol much more popular in all the states that limit magazines to 10 rounds. The magazines would sell well in all 50 states.

I suspect that the mold cost for the base plate on a 10 round magazine is the stumbling block.

Bill

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mec-Gar doesn't even offer P239 mags and look how long it's been on the market. It appears to me that SIG is making sure that they remain the sole supplier of P239, P225-A1, P227, et al, magazines and Mec-Gar is most likely the OEM supplier.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I've been on the TGS mailing list for a couple of weeks, waiting. Otherwise, Sig seems to be the only retailer that has any in stock.
Remember, 225A1 mags are unique, and not interchangeable with the original 225 or the 239.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been on the TGS mailing list for a couple of weeks, waiting. Otherwise, Sig seems to be the only retailer that has any in stock.
Remember, 225A1 mags are unique, and not interchangeable with the original 225 or the 239.
The p225A1 baseplates are unique but 225A1 magazines are identical to 9mm P239 magazines. I still cant believe that nobody has tried making a 9 round baseplate to retrofit existing 239 or 225a1 mags. I agree that a 10 round magazine would make this pistol more desirable in restrictive states, but it will never be available in CA (glad I have one).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are the mag body dimensions the same? (Will the mag fit in the mag well?) I am thinking these are going to be raw material for some "frankenmag" experiments. If the notch is just in a different location, that's easily fudged.
I'll find out on wednesday.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I tried to seat one of the older mags and it wouldn't lock in. The front of the old mag is rounded and the new one is squared, so the mag catch isn't long enough to reach. Also, the top of the notch on the new mag is right about where the bottom of the notch on old mag is.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I tried to seat one of the older mags and it wouldn't lock in. The front of the old mag is rounded and the new one is squared, so the mag catch isn't long enough to reach. Also, the top of the notch on the new mag is right about where the bottom of the notch on old mag is.
Ok, that's actually pretty promising as long as the mag can fit in the mag well.
Getting it to catch would just be a matter of adding some material or tabs and filing new notches.

FRANKENMAG COMETH! :lol:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Mec-Gar doesn't even offer P239 mags and look how long it's been on the market. It appears to me that SIG is making sure that they remain the sole supplier of P239, P225-A1, P227, et al, magazines and Mec-Gar is most likely the OEM supplier.
I spoke with Sig today. They couldn't tell me if the P225A1 mags they have for purchase are mec-gar or not. I called the Sig academy pro shop and was told the ones they have are made in USA and they didn't think they would get anymore Italian mags. Luckily my new P225A1 came with 2 mags made in Italy. My gun was born on Sept. 28th 2016. Here we go again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.