SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I’ve got a line on an older P225, a W. German gun. It only has one factory mag. I’ve searched the web and found all kinds of inconclusive information about other magazines that may or may not work in the gun. It seems that P38 mags might work, with some modification. I’ve read about S&W 39 mags working, maybe. Then there is the Promags...:eek:
I had sworn off pro mags a loooong time ago. But surprise, surprise, I found more good reports of the pro mags working, than all of the other maybes and what if’s, for the other two. For under $20, I may have to try one.
And of course, if anyone has a line on original/factory mags for the p6, without need to refinance the farm, I’d appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,264 Posts
There used to be a few dealers on GB selling P6 mags. I haven't checked lately, but I'd imagine those sources have dried up. The P225 is a fantastic gun. I definitely enjoy shooting mine. Don't let a lack of magazines prevent you from enjoying the SIG with the BEST ergonomics. Just be persistent, and I'm sure you'll eventually find some.

FYI, it took me a year of checking GB almost daily to find a P225 short trigger, but I finally got one.

·
Registered
18,264 Posts
Just an FYI, if the mags say SIG Sauer on the side, they are P225 mags. Otherwise, they are P6 mags. The P6 mags have more defined dovetail construction, and the spot-welds are visible. Often the baseplates are swapped out, so that doesn't always help to identify which magazines they are.

Here's the eBay seller's pic, P6 on the left, P225 on the right.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,788 Posts
As a "longshot", contact member "partsmaster", he is in Europe, and recently posted about P230 magazines he had for sale on Gunbroker. In a PM with him found he, and a friend had purchased a large "lot" of parts. His "friend" purchased a large number of P225 parts, and it may be some of what was found on eBay, but he may be able to point you to the right direction. He had asked a couple of years back, about what may be desired here in the states, on discontinued models.

Reactions: DuchessX

·
10,788 Posts
Is there any functional difference between the P6 mags and p225 mags?
No, basically just the "branding", as the P6 was just a "Government Contract". Much as bblr showed above with the differences with the back spines of the magazines, here are the 2 biggest differences... the markings. Commercial P225 magzines are marked Sig Sauer, with the triskelion stamp on the back spine, and the P6 only marked on the floorplate. Remember the Germans during the same period also used the P5 Walther, and P7 H&K, using similar 9mm magazines, but both were "heel" release.

DSCN2101.JPG DSCN2104.JPG DSCN2105.JPG

·
Registered
18,264 Posts
Is there any functional difference between the P6 mags and p225 mags?
As Willard said, they are functionally the same, just with different branding. The P6 mags will obviously be used, whereas it is still possible to find NIW P225 mags. P225 mags usually cost just a little bit more.

I primarily use P6 mags in my P225, even though I've got more P225 mags. I've got a bunch that are NIW, but for some reason I just can't force myself to use them.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Never mind. Spaced out that you were discussing mags and not the pistols themselves. :rolleyes:

To me the biggest difference can’t be seen. It is the mainspring. The P6 has a 28 lb mainspring, I seem to recall, while the P225 has a 24 lb one, making for a much heavier DA trigger on the P6.

·
Registered
18,264 Posts
Off topic: To anyone with a P225/P6, if you ever have the opportunity to buy billet baseplates for your magazines, definitely do it. They make a huge difference in the gun. I bought some years ago from member NVFirefighter, and they are awesome. Here's the original thread from way back when with pictures: For Sale: - P6/225 Billet Mag Base Pad

I don't think he's posted here in a long time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Interesting. Mine are both P6 marked on the foorplate... though I want to say the each has a slightly different finish? Spot welds visible on both.

I never knew aftermarket floorpates were even an option. They look really cool. Though, strange as it may seem, I sort of like the "lip" on old-school metal floorplates. Gives my pinky something to index against.

My next P6 upgrade is probably gonna be the E2 hammer strut so I can get the DA pull down a little.

·
10,788 Posts
Interesting. Mine are both P6 marked on the foorplate... though I want to say the each has a slightly different finish? Spot welds visible on both.

I never knew aftermarket floorpates were even an option. They look really cool. Though, strange as it may seem, I sort of like the "lip" on old-school metal floorplates. Gives my pinky something to index against.

My next P6 upgrade is probably gonna be the E2 hammer strut so I can get the DA pull down a little.
Not a hassle if you are going to "upgrade" the grips. Not a "lot" of modification needed either to the OEM grips for a good fit, just lower the reinforcement ribs outlined in orange about 1/8".

DSCN0143_LI.jpg
DSCN0586_LI.jpg

Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I bought it...probably paid just a bit too much ($755) but I really like the W. German Sigs.
It came with only one mag and replacement night sights which have gone completely dark. I blacked out the rear sight and will check POA vs POI with them. But I will most likely install a set of originals, as I have complete sets in both sizes 7 & 8. I prefer these (the Von Stavenhagen sights) to almost all others for general plinking/target shooting.
I modified one of my aftermarket S&W 39 mags and it fits nicely, though the body is .010” thicker and does not drop free. But it feeds snap caps very well. I will need to see about live fire. But if it works well, I will not need other originals, as it is strictly a range gun.

·
10,788 Posts
You know, I wonder if anyone has compared a P210 Legend magazine to the P6/P225? They look awful similar except for the floorplate... :unsure:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a chance to shoot the new P225 over the weekend and I’ve got to say it’s one of the smoothest shooting small guns that I have. I was very surprised at how little recoil there was from this gun, and I have a newer P225 A1 to compare it to. This west German gun has noticeably less recoil than the new model. The sites were off for me, shooting pretty far to the right. Of course I noticed before I shot it that the previous owner had adjusted the rear sight to the right. I took off those dead night sights and put on the originals in size 8 to start with. If those don’t work for me, I have a few others, both front and rear, in different sizes to switch to.

·
10,788 Posts
I had a chance to shoot the new P225 over the weekend and I’ve got to say it’s one of the smoothest shooting small guns that I have. I was very surprised at how little recoil there was from this gun, and I have a newer P225 A1 to compare it to. This west German gun has noticeably less recoil than the new model. The sites were off for me, shooting pretty far to the right. Of course I noticed before I shot it that the previous owner had adjusted the rear sight to the right. I took off those dead night sights and put on the originals in size 8 to start with. If those don’t work for me, I have a few others, both front and rear, in different sizes to switch to.
The majority, I believe of P6/P225s were set up #8 Front, and #7 Rear which would essentially be the same as #6 Front, and #8 Rear...
Sig Sights.jpg

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The majority, I believe of P6/P225s were set up #8 Front, and #7 Rear which would essentially be the same as #6 Front, and #8 Rear...
View attachment 370965
Excellent!
I’ve seen a lot of Sig sight charts, but not that one. Thanks! I have a complete set of size 7 sights and a couple of other fronts...forget the sizes right now, but I know one is another 7. But for sure, I have a no. 7 rear to go with my 8 front. I’ll try out the 8s and see what my next move will be.
Thanks again(y)
Edit:
In addition to shooting far right for me, my groups averaged about 2 1/4” low. The dead night sights that were on it were only .010” different in height, the front being a bit lower than the front. If I remember correctly, the #8 set has a front sight about .028” lower than the rear. That might be perfect for my “normal” shooting distance of 10 to 15yd.
We’ll see...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts