SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to hear from anyone who uses the P225-A1 as their primary EDC. Pros and cons.

I just recently decided to switch from M&P striker fires to Sig DA/SA's. I purchased my first SIG (P226 Legion) about 8 months ago and have decided that the SIG P22X series is the best platform for me. Thus my M&P Pro is gone and a new P226 Extreme will take it's place. My current EDC is a S&W Performance center Shield which I do like to shoot and is very easy to carry. It is however striker fire and I would like to have a consistent platform for my handguns in active use. It is also ported and that has been a bit bothersome since I took a Close Quarters Pistol class (firing from retention).

The P225 A1 is larger than the shield but I have large hands and always use the extended mag or pinky extensions on the shield. I think I would be happy carrying the P225 but I may simply be making excuse to buy another SIG.
Who is happy with the P225 as an EDC and who is not? Thank you.

·
P228 Sherpa
7,434 Posts
The P225-A1 is an excellent gun, but my EDC is either the P228 or G19. I'm a small guy but have no problem conceal carrying either one. No reasons to protect yourself with 9 when you can with 16. In other words, better to have and not need them than to need them and don't have. Yes, I'm in that camp. YMMV.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana. I don't have the "A1" version, but it's ancestors, the P6 and P225. I have been carrying it for close to 20 years. I also have a M11A1, which normally only sees duty during colder weather with heavier overgarments to help hide it! I have recently obtained a P239 in .40S&W, as a caliber upgrade. I haven't shot it a lot yet, as it's still getting broken in!

I don't have large hands, so I can't comment on your dilemma needing extended magazines or pinky extensions...

I believe it all boils down to what you fell most comfortable with, and can control effectively, should be determining factors in your choice. Good Luck!

·
Registered
680 Posts
The 225-A1 is a great gun but I havent found it to be any smaller or thinner than the 224 which as a double stack has near double the capacity. With the 224 (in 9mm) you have the ability of using the small 12 round mags or when wanting a full sized handle switching the 15 round mags.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I carry one daily and have been since March of last year. I have to say that it is one of, if not my favorite 9mm pistol I own and use. On paper it says its the same dimensions as a Glock 19 but in the hand it does feel thinner/slimmer. I like that there is less bulk with the P225A1 and when carrying IWB it is much easier to carry your reload (reloads in my case) as they are a thinner profile. I have no issue carrying 9 in the gun and 2 reloads of 8 each. I carried a 1911 for years so single stack is kind of a way of life for me. Its up to each person to evaluate their needs and pick what works best for them.

I can tell you that I shoot my P225A1 in IDPA matches and I hold my own against the higher capacity guns, even though they are running 10 rds to my 8, I still have an extra reload on each stage compared to them. When I shot the qualifier, I ranked as an Expert with the P225A1, which is one ranking below Master.

If you want one, buy one, and shoot the **** out of it. This will sound crazy but you will have to reteach yourself to shoot when you start with it. It is too easy to try to rotate the gun in your hand while shooting as its thinner than double stack Sig pistols. Once you get past that, its smooth sailing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just purchased one and started carrying it recently. In past years I carried a 4" 1911, then went to HK's carrying a 45C or P2000SK (both LEM trigger). Before buying the 225A1 I was either carrying a P229 Legion or a Springfield XD-S 3.3" 9mm. The XD-S is a great carry gun and the only striker fired gun I would carry due to the grip safety. The 225 replaced the XD-S.

I work p/t at a LGS and open carry there, typically my 229 or a Sig 1911, but I only carry concealed when not working. The 225A1 is a great pistol and carries fine. I was pleased that the DA trigger was as smooth as it was, actually able to hit my target shooting DA. The SA trigger is excellent, SRT very good. No complaints on the performance of the pistol

Based on my limited experience carrying the 225 I am very pleased and plan on making it my primary CCW pistol. I also plan on shooting it a lot as it is very enjoyable to shoot. Likely will become my favorite Sig pistol.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Welcome from PA!

I also have the 225-A1 and an M&P 9 Shield.

I carry the Shield, due to its smaller dimensions. But I also use a P238 and a Walther PPK/S for CCW.

I got the Two Tone P225-A1 just because it's a gorgeous gun and fits my hand better than any other SIG. Try one on for size, you will buy it!

It shoots as accurately as any SIG. I suppose I could carry, but have smaller alternatives.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My P225-A1 is my EDC. I am more accurate with this than any handgun I have fired. It seems to shoot where I think I am aiming. Since I do not live in a free state, 8 + 1 and an extra mag (s) will serve nicely. This weapon is carried or is bedside 24 - 7. Although the P225-A1 is a bit much for my wife to EDC, it is a range favorite and also her most most accurate shooter with amazingly small groups at any distance to 50 feet.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm going to pick up a P225 A1 and give it a run. I may pick up a M11-A1 as we get closer to the winter months. Thank you again.
You get those two Sig's and you are pretty much set IMHO.

I came close the other day to ordering one, but my P229c is essentially the same size and weight and carries 15.

If you want one size fits all, look at the P229c. However, the P225 is a fine, fine pistol. Baby Legion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My P225-A1 see's time as my EDC...however, its kind of an in between one for me. I usually gravitate to my P232 or P228 depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm headed. But still a nice EDC that I shot well and fits my hand extremely well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a bit more info ... I have been carrying my P225-A1 since January and I really think there is no better EDC choice for me. As previously stated, since I do not live in a free state, 8+1 serves nicely with a spare mag or so (sad but true, NY reloads are also an option). It conceals well (IWB, OWB, belly-band, or pouch) and it is carried every legal waking hour (driving, weddings, funerals, jogging, cycling, mowing, etc) and I find the grip of double stacks and 1911s harder to conceal. This gun ate everything it has been fed for about 1500 rounds. This Sig feels amazing in my hand and I think my LGS got aroused dry-firing this handgun behind the counter during my visits waiting for license amendments. This is probably the most accurate handgun I have fired and these have a combat sight picture for me. This is not a pocket gun (by most reasonable standards) and it is just too big and heavy for my wife to carry / conceal as a 9mm EDC (it seems she likes her grip width under one inch wide and her 9mm empty carry weights under 25 oz but over 20 oz if polymer grips for faster follow ups). On the range she is scary accurate with the P225-A1 and she loves shooting it. In fact I am trying to convince myself she needs a two-tone P225-A1 she can call her own. Full disclosure ….. I likely made myself love this choice as my EDC since it felt so good in my hand, I shoot it well, it has good sights, I can conceal it, I live or travel in restricted states, I really like the trigger, the grips are great, and it is well made but …. it may have been easier to fall in love with a smaller and lighter EDC handgun if it was otherwise as good as the P225-A1.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Full disclosure ….. I likely made myself love this choice as my EDC since it felt so good in my hand, I shoot it well, it has good sights, I can conceal it, I live or travel in restricted states, I really like the trigger, the grips are great, and it is well made but …. it may have been easier to fall in love with a smaller and lighter EDC handgun if it was otherwise as good as the P225-A1.
.... nail on the head.... :thumbsu:

Could not agree more

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.