SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P225 A1 and it had by far the heaviest DA trigger pull of any DA/SA sig I own. The trigger is very smooth, but very heavy.

I've been running a 17lb hammer spring in my P226SSE for about 2 years now and over the course of several thousand rounds I've had 2 light strikes and they were both with cheap reloads (and both fired with a second strike). I figure that the 19lb is a nice compromise between pull weight and reliability so I bought a 10 pack to change out some of my other pistols.

When I removed the hammer spring from my 225A1 I noticed that it was slightly longer and much heavier than any of my others. When I installed a 19lb Wolff spring the gun was transformed. The trigger is now comparable to my other sigs and very smooth. My question is why did my p225a1 have such a heavy hammer spring installed? Is there something about this pistol that is different and requires this (awful) spring? When I get home tonight I'll take a side by side photo. You can see the difference.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
Could it have anything to do with California? Getting on the "Approved" list? You stated longer... as long as the older metal seat type springs?

Pictures could help us understand...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it have anything to do with California? Getting on the "Approved" list? You stated longer... as long as the older metal seat type springs?

Pictures could help us understand...
Thats a good thought but the p225a1 isnt on the California roster. I moved to the state with the gun so it is a standard 225a1-I dont own any 'CA guns'. The spring is a hair longer ( the thickness of a coil) but the spring seems to be heavier than the stock springs on all my other p series pistols. I'll take some pictures this evening for comparison.

·
Registered
821 Posts
SIG is using the red mainspring that's also used in the DAK models for some reason. The red spring is a lot heavier than the standard spring.

It works for a DAK trigger because it's linkage has more more of a mechanical advantage than a standard DA/SA trigger, which gives it a lighter pull.

Here's my P225-A1 without the grips:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SIG is using the red mainspring that's also used in the DAK models for some reason. The red spring is a lot heavier than the standard spring.

It works for a DAK trigger because it's linkage has more more of a mechanical advantage than a standard DA/SA trigger, which gives it a lighter pull.

Here's my P225-A1 without the grips:
Thanks winterwar, my spring is red and very, very heavy. Any ideas why they used that spring? Obviously I'll test the 19lb for reliability at the range, but is there any reason I shouldn't run a lighter spring than the red one? Everything inside the p225a1 seems to be the same as my p239 and that came from the factory with a much lighter spring.

With the 19lb spring, this 225a1 has the nicest trigger of my stock p series pistols.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Same P225-A1 experience here. My 225 arrived last June 3rd, and got her 19# mainspring in early June too. She was quickly off to Exeter for SIG's AEP service later that same month. You see, SIG runs a custom shop work Fathers Day promotion every year.

Her DA/SA pulls are now very nice at 8lbs, 13ozs and 3lbs, 11ozs - 225's a fav summer carry here. Enjoy your pistol!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The only mod I have done to my P225A1 was dumping that heavy hammer spring and putting lighter one in. Made all the difference in the world. I called Sig and asked if changing the spring would cause any rearward slide velocity issues (1911 background here) and they said it would be fine. The gentleman then went on to tell me that replacing the spring is one of the first things they do to them at the factory when one comes in for a trigger job. Replace that spring then shoot the **** out of it.....replace the recoil spring and shoot it some more.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great replies-I am confident the 19lb wolff spring will be as reliable in my 225a1 as it is in all my other sigs. For those of you who were looking for a picture, here is the red spring next some a variety of different factory short mainsprings.

Attachments

·
14,048 Posts
If you have a way of measuring the spring wires diameter, it would be interesting between your "red " one, and the others. From the picture they almost look to be the same diameter. In winterwar's photo, it looks to almost be coil bound with the hammer at full cock! That in itself could cause problems as you would be trying to compress the plastic seat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have a way of measuring the spring wires diameter, it would be interesting between your "red " one, and the others. From the picture they almost look to be the same diameter. In winterwar's photo, it looks to almost be coil bound with the hammer at full cock! That in itself could cause problems as you would be trying to compress the plastic seat.
I will put a caliper on the different springs when I get a chance. Whats interesting is the variation in stock spring weights, and the appearance vs actual weight. The spring opposite to the red spring is a 19lb wolff-it has more of a gold color than grey. The Wolff spring looks heavier than some of the others but its the softest. I think its made of a different/softer material. I'm not an engineer, but to me, some of the heavier springs don't appear to be thicker. Also what is interesting is the variation in spring weights between my pistols. I have been running a 17lb wolff spring in my 226SSE for the last 2 or so years, but I've left the factory spring in all my others. This week I swapped out springs in 2 other 226's, a 227, M11, 229, 225A1, and a 224 and they all seemed different. One of the 226 springs was very heavy and one was nearly as light as 19lb (all guns are similar age/round count). A couple of them are CPO's and I wonder if Sig has different mainsprings for different applications (maybe some agencies require a certain weight DA trigger pull?) and they just throw whatever new springs they have laying around in the CPO guns.

Anyway, there was noticeable variation in trigger weight and feel between the above mentioned guns and now that they all have 19lb Wolff's, they all feel pretty similar. I'm hoping that the 19lb spring is a good weight to retain reliability. I've heard others refer to leaving things stock for reliability but this made me question what stock is because I don't see much consistency-and that red spring is awful.

·
14,048 Posts
I will put a caliper on the different springs when I get a chance. Whats interesting is the variation in stock spring weights, and the appearance vs actual weight. The spring opposite to the red spring is a 19lb wolff-it has more of a gold color than grey. The Wolff spring looks heavier than some of the others but its the softest. I think its made of a different/softer material. I'm not an engineer, but to me, some of the heavier springs don't appear to be thicker. Also what is interesting is the variation in spring weights between my pistols. I have been running a 17lb wolff spring in my 226SSE for the last 2 or so years, but I've left the factory spring in all my others. This week I swapped out springs in 2 other 226's, a 227, M11, 229, 225A1, and a 224 and they all seemed different. One of the 226 springs was very heavy and one was nearly as light as 19lb (all guns are similar age/round count). A couple of them are CPO's and I wonder if Sig has different mainsprings for different applications (maybe some agencies require a certain weight DA trigger pull?) and they just throw whatever new springs they have laying around in the CPO guns.

Anyway, there was noticeable variation in trigger weight and feel between the above mentioned guns and now that they all have 19lb Wolff's, they all feel pretty similar. I'm hoping that the 19lb spring is a good weight to retain reliability. I've heard others refer to leaving things stock for reliability but this made me question what stock is because I don't see much consistency-and that red spring is awful.
Springs are an enigma in some cases. You're right, different alloys, heat treatment, and drawing can have an effect on a springs tension. In other cases, it could be spring fatigue, on a older used pistol. Even CPOs may not have their mainsprings replaced, if they are still within specification. You are also probably right on some larger law enforcement agencies requiring possibly a different pull weight, determined by a legal department, and not the rank and file... that use them!

Reactions: kansascity45

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
NYC is that way with their duty weapons. The lawyers decide what is good for the guys on the street instead of listening to what they actually want/need.

Local PD will only allow their officers to carry a certain M&P9 on duty as it is the only approved SKU (standard model with factory night sights) God forbid that an officer buy a different SKU M&P9 and put a different set of sights on it, as that would be a break in department policy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.