SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing my mind about my next pistol. I went from Legion, flirted with the idea of a 229 Elite and thought about an old German. But now I am beginning to love this one on looks alone. It was recommended to me on a few of my inquiry threads. I'm looking for any comments, feedback from experience with one, pros, cons, etc. I'd also appreciate any deals that folks have run across for this firearm.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I bought one to see what all the fuss was about. I really couldn't justify buying one to carry because I would rather pack my 239. It is a good shooter and just like all the other Sigs I own....feels like a natural extension of the hand.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Solid choice and good looker. What's it intended purpose... carry gun, range gun? If it's for carry I'd offer that you can find a smaller gun with the same capacity for less money, little extra width and you can carry a dbl stack 228/9. If it's for a range gun and looks...STOP LOOKING AND GET IT LOL. just my opinions brother. I carry a P228 and have tried on the P225, IMO...I'd rather have the extra 6/7 rounds in the mag.

·
P228 Sherpa
7,434 Posts
Fantastic single stack compact 9mm SIG.

Pros:
-It's almost like it was made for your hand.
-It's a great looking gun.
-It balances perfectly.

Cons:
-All variants, except the Classic Carry, are pricey.
-Rather large for its limited capacity.
-Mags are expensive and hard to find, most of the time.
-Mag could have been designed to hold 9, or even 10, rounds. But, due to SIG's cheapness, they used the mag body of the P239 and just put that useless black spacer at the bottom.
-No aftermarket extended mags available at this time.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Yeah, as 12131 describes, on paper P225-A1 is difficult to justify - Until she's in your hands. I couldn't resist this sexy little lady either!

In spite of her limited capacity, excessive weight, high cost for an 8+1rd 9mm pistol - and a pretty bad out-of-the-box trigger - I had to have 225.

An immediate trip to Exeter for SIG's AEP job, and she's a regular summer carry here. Luv shooting 225. She replaced P224 in my carry rotation with HK P30SK and P229 in 357SIG.

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have one, it's schweeet. Initial operation was VERY rough during break-in (I think first 10 rounds every single round stovepiped or something similar, zero malfunctions post round 200).

Everything everyone else said is true, but one carry-related consideration is that if you carry a 226 or 229, the 225 provides a single stack alternative for when you want to travel to states that have reciprocity carry agreements with yours, but don't allow standard capacity magazines (Colorado, for example, if you own 17 round mags).

·
Registered
946 Posts
Despite the extra little heft and lower capacity it's still my favorite carry. There is just something about it. I felt the trigger was fine but opted for a lighter main spring... looks/feels/shoots great. I can rest easy knowing it is realible (approx 750 rounds)... you won't be disappointed

Reactions: rmak

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello from another Sig guy in Ohio. I just picked one up for my primary carry pistol and think it is an outstanding choice for carry. The DA trigger is smooth, the SA is typical Sig with SRT. Accuracy is excellent. It is a bigger carry gun, but not that big. Grip fits great.

IMO Sig has done a great job with their triggers, and the 225A1 is a good example. I remember picking up a Sig with the DAK trigger at the NRA convention and thinking how bad it was. This was before I got the "Signess" and discovered SRT, best trigger out of the box in the market. Combine it with a straight trigger ala Legion 226 SAO, 4.4 # pull and it is hands down the best. If the 225A1 didn't have SRT, it would be just another pistol.

Grab one, they're worth it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fantastic single stack compact 9mm SIG.

Cons:
-All variants, except the Classic Carry, are pricey.
I agree with everything 12313 said except the comment about the cost. I picked up a NIB 225A1 on gunbroker for $700 shipped. That doesn't make it inexpensive, but for a new sig with G10 grips and short reset trigger I think its pretty reasonable (mine came with contrast sites).

People criticize the 225 and 239 for being heavy and large for their capacity but then compliment them for how good they feel. To me, the 225 is large enough so its a great shooter and its small enough that its comfortable to carry. There are lots of guns that are higher capacity, smaller, and lighter. I haven't found one nicer to carry and shoot than the 225

Personally, I dont find the P229 to be a comfortable gun to carry all day and I prefer the 226 for a range gun.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Love mine.

Fits my hand better than most other guns. About the size of a P229 but thinner and less weight with a fully loaded magazine, as long as you are fine with the single stack. I think it is great.

I had found a factory CPO for $700 that included the threaded barrel and taller suppressor sights, which was what I probably would have added had I bought a new one. Turns out it was a SIG marketing department gun that had never left their hands. Other than factory rounds it probably was never shot.

Great choice.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Out of the pistols you listed, I would go with the Legion. For some reason, I am just not in sync with my P225-A1. I have put about 150 rounds into it without an issues, but I am not as accurate as I am with my P229 Legion. You wouldn't think the difference in grip would make a difference, but I guess I need more time with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Out of the pistols you listed, I would go with the Legion. For some reason, I am just not in sync with my P225-A1. I have put about 150 rounds into it without an issues, but I am not as accurate as I am with my P229 Legion. You wouldn't think the difference in grip would make a difference, but I guess I need more time with it.
Well...to add to my indecisiveness, someone just posted that the 220 Legions are out. Now I just feel like borrowing $3000 and getting everything I want at once. (Of course, I'm not going to:()

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Well...to add to my indecisiveness, someone just posted that the 220 Legions are out. Now I just feel like borrowing $3000 and getting everything I want at once. (Of course, I'm not going to:()
I think the 225 is a fantastic gun, but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would pay that much money for one when you can buy a P320 compact for almost half the cost, and have twice the capacity in a gun that is virtually the same size, but lighter. I'd be more inclined to get a P220 Legion myself.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I know I sound like a broken record singing this guns praises but you won't be disappointed. If I may suggest-get the G10 grips instead of the wooded ones as for me it is harder to work the slide release on the wooden grip model. That and my grips feel slick compared to the G10.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
When P6s were cheap I didn't really get the point when you could have the real thing and get it refinished if you wanted.. Now that P6s have shot up in price and p225a1s are hitting the used market, the A1 makes sense because of the updated features and the p239-like design, and the p239 by now is a proven pistol.

Everyone put it perfectly, the p225/P6 feels like it was made for your hand, the p225a1 retains this same feel and balance, though slightly heavier and so on.

As someone who has carried basically every model Sig, old and new, the big downside to the p229 is the weight and thickness when compared to almost everything else. It's my least favorite classic Sig. The original ones in .40/.357 Sig are pretty good, but the p228 blows it away, the p226 blows it away, the p220 blows it away....The p225, p239, p224 all carry easier. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The 225 is heavier than others, holds less than others, and costs more than others. All of that said, it just feels great in hand and mine is dead on accurate.

I have a 226 Legion, 229 SAS, 320RX and a 225. I thought I would sell the 225 as it did not fill a specific need that the others could not fill. I took them all to the range and the choice was easy: I kept it.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I think the 225 is a fantastic gun, but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would pay that much money for one when you can buy a P320 compact for almost half the cost, and have twice the capacity in a gun that is virtually the same size, but lighter. I'd be more inclined to get a P220 Legion myself.
I'm willing to pay more for a pistol that I enjoy the ergonomics of. I briefly owned a P320 and sold it because it felt like a Glock. On paper it is great, and it's certainly a capable weapon. But the P320 just doesn't feel like a SIG to me. I don't buy SIGs, like the P226 and P229, because they have better stats than a Glock...I buy them because I like the feel and the ergonomics better. I'm willing to pay far more for a gun I like than a gun I'm "OK with".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.