SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly acquired P224 in 40 SW.

Love the resources on this form and have a few questions.

But first, I am a real fan of the genuinely metal weapons. The only safety is the brain and there is a long history of sigs having great accuracy out of the box with shooter training. I have carried and used glock but don't see a real benefit other than corrosion. Both come out of battery pretty easily if you're going hands on.

I have over a 100k rounds through the P229 as I used it overseas and domestically for years. The 229 seemed a perfect way to use my muscle memory with a EDC platform such as the P224. I have fairly large hands and this brings me to a few questions.
1) What magazines will work in the P224 (40 SW), there is elusive info in the form but specifically will the 229 (40) mags work?....with the standard floor plate and if so does one only need a sleeve?
2) While I think the pink plate (if that is what it is called) is likely not a good option during combat reloads I would like to at least check it out and evaluate. Does it require a replacement of the standard floorplate?
3) From reviewing the threads it seems like OEM, novak and MecGar are the best magazine options...could anyone one care to advise as all the above seem unavailable.

Thanks for any help. No if I could find a P227.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The 229 mags work in the 224, in fact the extended mags for 224 are 229 mags with a sleeve/base but they will work without it. If you want to use 229 mags why not just carry a 229 or (I forgot what they called it) like a compact 229 that was basically a 224 with a 229 grip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Newly acquired P224 in 40 SW.

Love the resources on this form and have a few questions.

But first, I am a real fan of the genuinely metal weapons. The only safety is the brain and there is a long history of sigs having great accuracy out of the box with shooter training. I have carried and used glock but don't see a real benefit other than corrosion. Both come out of battery pretty easily if you're going hands on.

I have over a 100k rounds through the P229 as I used it overseas and domestically for years. The 229 seemed a perfect way to use my muscle memory with a EDC platform such as the P224. I have fairly large hands and this brings me to a few questions.
1) What magazines will work in the P224 (40 SW), there is elusive info in the form but specifically will the 229 (40) mags work?....with the standard floor plate and if so does one only need a sleeve?
2) While I think the pink plate (if that is what it is called) is likely not a good option during combat reloads I would like to at least check it out and evaluate. Does it require a replacement of the standard floorplate?
3) From reviewing the threads it seems like OEM, novak and MecGar are the best magazine options...could anyone one care to advise as all the above seem unavailable.

Thanks for any help. No if I could find a P227.....
I use 226 mags for extended capacity. Stock mags I added pierce grip on them, they help a lot because I have big mitts too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks, I found the best fit for pinky grip is the pachmyr Springfield. 45 xd extended base plate.
pearce PG-XD work well also. Have them on my 224 mags

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,722 Posts
I owned a P224 a few years ago. Very nice gun. Congrats.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had to trim a little off the back of the Pearce PG-XD

·
Registered
183 Posts
The 229 mags work in the 224, in fact the extended mags for 224 are 229 mags with a sleeve/base but they will work without it. If you want to use 229 mags why not just carry a 229 or (I forgot what they called it) like a compact 229 that was basically a 224 with a 229 grip.
P229C. But they don't make it anymore either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts