SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a hankering to get one of the all-stainless Sigs for a bit now but living in California and these guns being out of production makes it easier said than done even before the gun market was flipped on its head this year, it wasn't at all unusual for the Stainless Steel Elite variants of the P220/226/229 to reach $2000 when they did show up. The Stainless P220 (220-45-SSS-CA) would be ideal, seeing as how I've been wanting a heavy .45 anyway and it is on the CA approved gun list and lacks some of the more obnoxious features of the CA approved Sigs, but it was hard to even find one in stock before the pandemic insanity. Does anyone know when production of these models (as well as the SSE guns) was discontinued and if it it'd still even be possible to find one NIB or LNIB?

Registered
IIRC, there was one that sold on this forum about 2 months. They do pop-up on occasion on here, GB, and GI.

If you're really into heavy all-steel .45's, a good alternative is the CZ 97BD. IMHO, they're more accurate than the P220 ST's, and the glossy ones are much classier.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
I've picked up a couple, in the past couple of years, one that came from California that I picked up at a local Gun Show,
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

The other, an actual "ST" model, I picked up off of Gun Broker...

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver

That wasn't in too bad of shape, just needed to be "bead blasted" to bring it back to "As New", but I "Upgraded" instead...

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

The SSE were made, up to about 2 years ago, I believe, and as I mentioned earlier, Sig will "bead blast" both stainless slides and frames, to bring them back to looking like "NEW"!

Keep an eye on Gun Broker, there are always a couple popping up on there, currently the prices can go pretty high if more than a couple people want the one up for bid!

馃帠USA Veteran
I acquired this one back on February 24, 2012 as a LEO trade-in from the Scottsboro, Alabama Police Dept. I paid $556.00 in nice used condition. Along with the additional weight, as already mentioned, it ejects spent brass a country mile. It is a 2004 production year pistol. The grips pictured are replacement, but I saved the original ugly black plastic ones.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIRC, there was one that sold on this forum about 2 months. They do pop-up on occasion on here, GB, and GI.

If you're really into heavy all-steel .45's, a good alternative is the CZ 97BD. IMHO, they're more accurate than the P220 ST's, and the glossy ones are much classier.
I had my heart set on something all-stainless, I really like the black on stainless aesthetic the all-stainless Sigs have. I'd like either an S&W 4506/4566 (out of production even longer and not on the CA approved list so finding one is sheer luck), a 1911 (I'd prefer to wait until I can drop a lot more money on something like an Ed Brown) or the P220 and since I already wanted an all-stainless sig, a P220, and a .45 anyway and they have all the Sig aftermarket available to them as well it's my top choice.
I've picked up a couple, in the past couple of years, one that came from California that I picked up at a local Gun Show,
View attachment 371845

The other, an actual "ST" model, I picked up off of Gun Broker...

View attachment 371846

That wasn't in too bad of shape, just needed to be "bead blasted" to bring it back to "As New", but I "Upgraded" instead...

View attachment 371847

The SSE were made, up to about 2 years ago, I believe, and as I mentioned earlier, Sig will "bead blast" both stainless slides and frames, to bring them back to looking like "NEW"!

Keep an eye on Gun Broker, there are always a couple popping up on there, currently the prices can go pretty high if more than a couple people want the one up for bid!
Definitely still on the CA list. I got mine about 6 years ago on Gunbroker. The hardest part is finding a dealer willing to deal with us CA folks.
The annoying part is having to make sure the exact SKU matches up. There's one on GB right now but because the SKU is missing the -CA at the end it's not roster compliant even if its functionally the same gun. I just hope Sig doesn't decide to remove it from the roster since it's a model they no longer produce before I can find one.

Registered
The annoying part is having to make sure the exact SKU matches up. There's one on GB right now but because the SKU is missing the -CA at the end it's not roster compliant even if its functionally the same gun. I just hope Sig doesn't decide to remove it from the roster since it's a model they no longer produce before I can find one.
The older guns on the roster don't have a sku because the roster was more generic back in the day. The P220ST and P239 are examples of the generic guns. I believe the -CA guns are newer additions with the LCI and mag disco. The P220ST and P239 don't have the stupid CA safety features.

Premium Member
Hmm. I think I'd have to shoot a CZ 97BD to change my mind about them, that it might be more accurate than my P220ST.

Though I don't own any CZ's, I've shot a number of them over the years and can tell you - in my hands - I've never shot any CZ more accurately than my ST.

The most accurate handgun I own is my 2011 production X-Five [9mm] - verified by a number of folks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The older guns on the roster don't have a sku because the roster was more generic back in the day. The P220ST and P239 are examples of the generic guns. I believe the -CA guns are newer additions with the LCI and mag disco. The P220ST and P239 don't have the stupid CA safety features.
The stainless P220 I'm looking at looks to be one of the later ones unfortunately, it's SKU is 220-45-SSS-CA. It at least doesn't seem to have the LCI or mag disco while every other CA P220 does I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.