SIG Talk banner

P220 vs P220 Carry Equinox Which one? Recoil?

8882 12
Hey Guys,

After picking up my first Sig P226 I already caught my eye on the P220R Equinox and then I found a P220R Carry. I have been wanting to add another .45acp to my collection and now I want to add SIGS!

I cant get the 227 in California and I saw a sign that some of the P220 Equinox are discontinued so want to buy it fast.

Having the full size P226 I was kinda thinking about the P220 Carry but wanted some opinions on the recoil, snap of the slightly shorter barreled carry model? Is it that much noticeable or not really? Also, the wood grips that come on the equinox models are comfortable but I did hold a few other P220s that had other grips that felt had a little more grippyness to them. I could add some stiffling to the wood grips in the back area but not sure.

Just looking for opinions on the P220s. All are welcome and all are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reactions: sigsrok
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
784 Posts
I have a P220R Equinox and P220R Carry Nitron with NS. From my experience I can't tell the difference in recoil. The wood grips are nice and comfortable but not grippy. They do fit my hand perfectly because of the single stack design.

For range use, I prefer the Hogue rubber grips because they absorb recoil better. My honest advice is after the P226, you should probably want to get a P229 (Legacy slide) first in .40. There are good deals to be had at the moment. Then an good ole West German or German P220 without rail.

I ended up selling the Equinox. I also have the Carry listed in the forum classifieds to help fund my other project.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input. I think I am going to skip the .40 cal as I am trying to not add another round to pick up, I already have 9mm, 10mm, .357 & .45acp for pistols. I do like the P229 if it came in .45 and was legal in CA?

There are various P220s at my LGS including a SS with hogue grip. It was heavier but that would help with recoil and had some hogue runner grips that felt really nice. The color of the equinox is what caught my eye and then I saw the shorter one.

I was offered an original West German P226 with 6 mags for 800 bucks. It looks to be in excellent condition as well, am i stupid not to buy for collectors value?

Sent using Tapatalk

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a P220R Equinox and P220R Carry Nitron with NS. From my experience I can't tell the difference in recoil in both. The wood grips are nice and comfortable but not grippy. They do fit me perfectly because of the single stack design.

For range use, I prefer the Hogue rubber grips better because they absorb recoil better. My honest advice is after the P226, you should probably want to get a P229 (Legacy slide) first in .40. There are good deals to be had at the moment. Then an good ole West German or German P220 without rail.

I ended up selling the Equinox. I also have the Carry listed in the forum classifieds to help fund my other project.
Also may I ask why you sold the equinox?

Sent using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,985 Posts
I've got a 2010 vintage P220 Carry Equinox that I like a lot and carry daily; it has excellent balance IMO and points very well.

Recoil?

Both the 3.9" P220 Carry and the regular 4.4" P220 weigh exactly the same, because the 4.4" P220 top end weighs the same as the 3.9" P220 Carry top end due to its heavier slide contour; and the frames are the same.

Reactions: sigsrok

· Registered
11,371 Posts
Will pick up a new P220 Equinox, full sized, next week. On lay a way since early January. Last one I know of in SW PA!

Probably will flip wood Blackwood grips. Too fat, too slick. Had Rosewoods on an older, traded P220. Sweaty hands in summer were hard to grip the .45 very well.

Will get SIG 2 piece polymer grips or Hogue Black Checkered G10s.

I love the unique appearance of the Equinox, polished slide slabs, nickel controls, TruGlo front sight. Nice looking 220. Priced much lower the the SSE or upcoming Legion.

· Registered
17,388 Posts
I purchased a P 220 Carry Equinox by mistake back in January. Thought I Was getting a Full Size one. Have not been able to shoot it or the P 226 Equinox I purchased in November/
I Dislocated the Pinky finger on My Right Hand the Day I got the P220. I have a Springfield XDs in 45 Caliber that I have shot. The Recoil on it is not bad So I figure with the Sig being bigger and heavier the recoil will be less.

· Registered
784 Posts
Also may I ask why you sold the equinox?

Sent using Tapatalk
A couple of reasons:

1. I bought it to "complete" my SIG collection but I didn't shoot it a lot. It became safe queen.
2. I realize that I like the Carry size better than the full size
3. My friend offered to buy it from me. At the same time, I started to get into CZs so I sold it since I already had a P220 Carry.

An excellent condition WG P220 with 6 mags for $800 is an OK deal. But since you are in CA, I've heard it's hard to come across nice guns. So $800 might be a good deal for you :lol:

Also you don't have to shoot .40 with the P229. You can convert it into 357SIG or 9mm pretty easily. I also think the P229 is the one SIG that every SIG lover should own at least one.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will pick up a new P220 Equinox, full sized, next week. On lay a way since early January. Last one I know of in SW PA!

Probably will flip wood Blackwood grips. Too fat, too slick. Had Rosewoods on an older, traded P220. Sweaty hands in summer were hard to grip the .45 very well.

Will get SIG 2 piece polymer grips or Hogue Black Checkered G10s.

I love the unique appearance of the Equinox, polished slide slabs, nickel controls, TruGlo front sight. Nice looking 220. Priced much lower the the SSE or upcoming Legion.
Ya I agree the grips on the equinox are a bit slippery but I was thinking if adding my own stiffling to the backstrap/heel area as I have the tools to do so. That is really the only reason that held be from putting it on layaway (i have a new gun DROS'd and another PPT). I could always change the grips to the other E2 or SIG grips from what I understand but I really like the look of the wood ones.

Sent using Tapatalk

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Equinox lacks the SRT as an FYI. Recoil of 4.3 vs 3.9 is moot. The shorter barrel might have less snap in rapid fire actually (less weight on top). I'd add G10 pirhana regardless. P220 is a soft shooting 45
I have extra G10 piranha grips already a buddy gave me and some for my P226. I wish I could get the 10mm in CA if the .45 is soft than the 10mm cant be much more.

Sent using Tapatalk

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A couple of reasons:

1. I bought it to "complete" my SIG collection but I didn't shoot it a lot. It became safe queen.
2. I realize that I like the Carry size better than the full size
3. My friend offered to buy it from me. At the same time, I started to get into CZs so I sold it since I already had a P220 Carry.

An excellent condition WG P220 with 6 mags for $800 is an OK deal. But since you are in CA, I've heard it's hard to come across nice guns. So $800 might be a good deal for you [emoji38]

Also you don't have to shoot .40 with the P229. You can convert it into 357SIG or 9mm pretty easily. I also think the P229 is the one SIG that every SIG lover should own at least one.
Thanks for the info, I feel like some people get offended when I ask why they sold which I guess I can understand but it really is more of why did you get rid of a firearm I am about to purchase and want yohr opinion, so much appreciated. I think I am leaning towards the carry model as I can get it for $950 for the equinox which seems good to me. I might ask this particular store if they will give me a deal if I buy that and an M1A scout or socom at the same time!

Sent using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.