SIG Talk banner

Which is the “must have”?

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am debating on which pistol to get. It’s not really meant for any specific role, as I have a P365XL, PDP 4.5 and a Q5 Match to fill various roles. I want a steel frame, hammer fire pistol to have something outside of polymer striker fire pistols. I plan on settling down on buying so this is my “last buy” (which I know it’s not). Of the 3, which is really the “must own”?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
I see that you settled on the P226 and believe that it's good choice. I have large hands and the P226 points naturally for me. I've never owned nor shot the P229, but the several that I've handled, the sights do not naturally align for me. The P220 .45 acp is my favorite of the lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well coming from someone who currently owns p226e legion, p220 nightmare, original 320 compact medium, and a 1911 compact, my 1st preference for carry is the 1911, 2nd is equal between the other 3. i literally carry according to my clothing options. all of mine are dead accurate. im not concerned with having "x" amount of rounds. i judge by concealabilty and comfort of carrying all day long. that said the 320 is the lighter

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say flip a coin on a P226 in 9mm or the P220. Then buy which ever lost the coin toss. Then the P229 in 9mm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own all three and in various calibers. The P226 is easily the most versatile of the three. It can easily be 4 different calibers. It can be a 22LR, 9mm, 40SW, or Sig 357 with a slide swap or barrel change depending on the slide. And magazine change. Parts are more readily available and if you want to do the additional slides there are more 226 slides than any.

P229 is similar to the 226 and is a very close second place IMHO. However since Sig made some changes to the frame it can get confusing as to which parts are compatible and not regarding slide and magazine swapping. However for a 9mm gun it’s a great gun.

The P220 is a 45acp or 10mm beast. While I am pretty sure you can’t do a slide and mag swap to do caliber xchanges it’s a great big bore gun. I liked my P220 so much I dumped my 1911s.

Many internal parts are interchangeable between the guns however the 220 has less interchangeability.

Once you get one, odds are you’ll want another.
All the above, and if you do happen to check out Sig's website, they have some pretty fancy slides available as well now, for the P226! Also, the Sig website does offer (at least right now) 20 round extended 9mm mags for the P226, if you live in one of the states that do not limit magazine capacity to 10!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am debating on which pistol to get. It’s not really meant for any specific role, as I have a P365XL, PDP 4.5 and a Q5 Match to fill various roles. I want a steel frame, hammer fire pistol to have something outside of polymer striker fire pistols. I plan on settling down on buying so this is my “last buy” (which I know it’s not). Of the 3, which is really the “must own”?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
In 2017 my first was the P226 MK25, in Dec I bought the M11-1A, (P229,) in between I grabbed a P365XL which I keep switching frames between the 365 & the XL. I've shot all of these great, and all of them bad. It's not the gun it's me. I carry a VP9sk which I always shoot great with. I love all of these guns all for different reasons. Ive never shot anything that has a trigger as good as those two hammer fired Sigs. I added the SRT to the P226 and that's just the sweetest thing, & the M11which had it already is just as good. They are heavy, and wide. I carry them OWB, have IWB holsters but for me it's alot of gun. But what fine weapons they are, you can't go wrong with any of them, buy the first one at the best deal you can find and you'll be on your way...

61 - 65 of 65 Posts