SIG Talk banner

Which is the “must have”?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
22,185 Posts
File a warranty claim with Sig! I would love to hear their reaction. Did it come off after a lot of carry or as a safe queen? I bought mine a few months ago and haven’t even fired it yet so label still in tact but wouldn’t expect it to hold up under ongoing use.
One dried out and fell off one of my MK25s in the safe before I even shot it. I found it under the rack the pistol was on. :)

Reactions: ProofMark

·
Registered
346 Posts
One dried out and fell off one of my MK25s in the safe before I even shot it. I found it under the rack the pistol was on. :)
Kind of funny how they have these cheap stickers that fall off to begin with! I still love the MK. For some reason, don’t ask me why, I just bought another new one last week and I’ve never fired my 1st one yet. Good price at my LGS and just said what the hell and snagged it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am debating on which pistol to get. It’s not really meant for any specific role, as I have a P365XL, PDP 4.5 and a Q5 Match to fill various roles. I want a steel frame, hammer fire pistol to have something outside of polymer striker fire pistols. I plan on settling down on buying so this is my “last buy” (which I know it’s not). Of the 3, which is really the “must own”?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Did Sig make a P229 in a steel frame?

Dunno but the P226 and P220 were available in steel, and the 226st is available in .40, from there it's a caliber choice. Given only one, I'd take both :)

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
File a warranty claim with Sig! I would love to hear their reaction. Did it come off after a lot of carry or as a safe queen? I bought mine a few months ago and haven’t even fired it yet so label still in tact but wouldn’t expect it to hold up under ongoing use.
I bought an aluminum replacement in case I ever sell the gun. 😎

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went with the P226 MK25. It seems like it can fill all roles since I don’t need for any specific one and the engineering to make it more moisture resistant and durable was appealing since I live in Atlanta, which is incredibly humid.
Great choice.

For me, the decision is between the 220 and 226; I have 2 of each but have never been interested in the 228/229. It‘s hard to argue against the 226, it checks all the boxes. But the 220 has an irresistible appeal.

I voted for the 226 but I enjoy shooting the 220 more. Given that 99.99999999999% (at least) of my use of either pistol is ultimately for enjoyment, that fact should carry more weight than we typically allow for ourselves.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,600 Posts

Dunno but the P226 and P220 were available in steel, and the 226st is available in .40, from there it's a caliber choice. Given only one, I'd take both :)
There were some stainless framed P229s, the SSEs just the latest, earlier the "Sport" which was compensated with an adjustable rear with .357 Sig being popular, and a short run of stainless Legacy models in the earlier 2000s I believe. You need to watch as there were also some nickeled P229s that some vendors apparently confuse as being stainless, as the stainless slides are also nickeled giving the slide and frame the same color/hue.

Reactions: Te7as

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am debating on which pistol to get. It’s not really meant for any specific role, as I have a P365XL, PDP 4.5 and a Q5 Match to fill various roles. I want a steel frame, hammer fire pistol to have something outside of polymer striker fire pistols. I plan on settling down on buying so this is my “last buy” (which I know it’s not). Of the 3, which is really the “must own”?

I carried a 229 tor 25 years as a State Trooper. Go with the 229. Flat out awesome firearm.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got two P220s the full size and carry, I've up graded to the Sig SRT kits, Grayguns adjustable straight trigger on one and an Armory Craft on the other. The SRT kit made a big difference in the reset. But for something with a little more capacity I just got a FN FNX45 tactical which holds 15 rds of .45. But to get more then 11 rds in the magazine its a bear, guess over time it will get easier.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I cannot speak for the other pistols but I have a P226 Legion with the red dot and the short reset trigger. I also have a p365xl with a red dot sight. The P226 is really nice to shoot. It handles the recoil well. Its like riding in a fine automobile. The grip is full and with a 15 round magazine, fairly heavy. It seems to be pretty accurate too. The safety for the hammer is large and easy to quickly move. The slide lock on the left side seems a bit small. The trigger, I believe, was made by Gray Guns and is superb. It is crisp and short. My p365xl trigger has a little creep in it but is okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I own several different "Wonder Nine's", Glock, Walther, S&W, but only shoot the Sig's accurately. I have a P220 Carry, P227, and a P229. I was at the range last month and was amazed at how accurate the P229 in 9mm was. Maybe it is the added weight, or being hammer fired, or a combination of both. The Sig's and my old S&W M59 are the ones I would keep if I was going to cull my semi- autos.

·
Registered
6 Posts

229 but get it in 40. It's more robustly built and recoil is light. To this day am I regretting selling it some 20 years ago...

·
Registered
68 Posts

Wow! That's a tough one. I have a West German P220 that will shoot 45 auto, 45 Super, and 450SMC which I customized to shoot all three plus other upgrades which I love and a Sigarms P226 357Sig I customized which I also love. I shoot both, I carry both, but a P229 in 357Sig would be ideal for concealed carry.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree with heavyduty5160 on the bullet. The 357 Sig is the the way to go. Your accuracy an bullet energy are going to be greatly increase over the 9MM and even the 40 cal. I was very lucky to get a complete upper in 357 Sig before the world turned upside down and my 9MM is in storage. What ever you do you won't go wrong with any of the SIG's.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If it's not intended for any particular role, get a pretty one. I was unaware that the 226 was offered in anything but a steel frame. It (Equinox in 40/357SIG/22LR) was my first semi auto handgun. Now, 15+ handguns later, I would still agree that it has everything you would want, though a little fat for concealed carry. The DA/SA no safety battery of arms offers both fast draw, point, and shoot option along with SA precision. Picatinny rail, night sights rear True glo front, 12+ capacity (in 40) and a full grip that I replaced with a Crimson Trace. This thing is bada** day or night.

Yea, the 226 SSEs are gorgeous and I bet they shoot 9mm like you're shooting a .22LR.

Thinking outside the box a little, if you are remotely considering a 1911, the Sigs are great too. And as decent as the 226/229 SA trigger is in SA mode, the 1911s are even better. They just came out with an Equinox version but they also offer many other good lookers.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Before I lost mine in a boating accident I had a real cheap previously well loved p220 that was probably an Leo trade in. A ton of holster wear and finish looked like it may have at one time been used as a hammer. Also an early P226 Navy (not MK25 nor an NSW. Both were fantastic shooters. I hear the P229 is better than both so that is my vote for you as your order. However if you don’t have a 45 go with the P227 or P220. I hear essentially same gun but double stack versus single stack respectively. You can’t go wrong with either IMHO.

·
Registered
1 Posts

9mm 229 with the conversion kits: 40, .357 sig, .22

·
Registered
P320 Carry 9mm, P229 .40 Railed German frame
137 Posts

I had a steel frame made in germany Sig P229 in .40cal I just sold. Back from when Sig was Sig Industries (probably around 2004). Shot great. But I didn't want to carry it and found glock 21 so I sold it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

P229, unless you're OK with a striker fired, then a P320 AXG.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts