SIG Talk banner

Which is the “must have”?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I love my W. German P220. I use it whenever I have to qualify for my CCL. Everyone else was "plinking" w/9mm & .38.
It's more accurate than I am.
I also own a P229 w/a 40, 357, and a 9mm slide. Just got some G10's for it when I found a set under $93.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I own all three and in various calibers. The P226 is easily the most versatile of the three. It can easily be 4 different calibers. It can be a 22LR, 9mm, 40SW, or Sig 357 with a slide swap or barrel change depending on the slide. And magazine change. Parts are more readily available and if you want to do the additional slides there are more 226 slides than any.

P229 is similar to the 226 and is a very close second place IMHO. However since Sig made some changes to the frame it can get confusing as to which parts are compatible and not regarding slide and magazine swapping. However for a 9mm gun it’s a great gun.

The P220 is a 45acp or 10mm beast. While I am pretty sure you can’t do a slide and mag swap to do caliber xchanges it’s a great big bore gun. I liked my P220 so much I dumped my 1911s.

Many internal parts are interchangeable between the guns however the 220 has less interchangeability.

Once you get one, odds are you’ll want another.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I voted for the P229 but would have picked all 3 if it were an option.

Reason why I picked the P229 is because in my opinion it can do everything the P226 can do but is a slightly smaller package which helps for concealed carry. The P220 is also a great pistol but I have several single stack 1911’s that fit that spot better but not willing to part with my P220 Carry.

Don't worry about making the wrong choice because once you try one you’ll buy another one and then another one and…

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Since you modified your initial statement, as to mean "alloy" frame, instead of steel, it makes a large difference, since the whole diverse line of Sigs are available.

Since this isn't for any particular purpose, other than to get familiar with the "system", I guess my suggestion would be to pick up a CPO, to whet your whistle. It will be affordable, and have a 1 year warranty, to boot. All DA/SA Sigs have the same manual of arms, so learning one, seta up up for the rest. While the P226 and P229 come in a wider variety of chamberings, which are fairly easy to locate. As you can see by scanning the many posts, many here, have their favorite set up to accept 3 calibers, just by changing barrels, in some cases.

So choose your own method of acquiring the "Signess", as most here are quite capable of "feeding" your future habit!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went with the P226 MK25. It seems like it can fill all roles since I don’t need for any specific one and the engineering to make it more moisture resistant and durable was appealing since I live in Atlanta, which is incredibly humid.

·
Registered
22,185 Posts
Reactions: hauki and sobertito

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went with the P226 MK25. It seems like it can fill all roles since I don’t need for any specific one and the engineering to make it more moisture resistant and durable was appealing since I live in Atlanta, which is incredibly humid.
I have that one. My little,UID Label slipped off after a couple cleanings. I saved it, but I like it better without the label. ;)

Reactions: hauki and sobertito

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
They all are must owns. I think a better way to look at it is the order you work toward getting them. P226, followed by p229, followed by p220. That would be my pick. I personally think the p226 is the perfect firearm.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
I started . . P229 . . then P220 . . . Then P266 . .my vote on Poll . P229 Of Course I remember the 224 (?) good OR bad . . I've got two ..40 cal with Belly Pack for carry ! Fat old Man , , white sock and tennis shoes . . . Shoots fine for me after Sig fixed both of them . . Got to have Extended 12 rd Grip !!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I started . . P229 . . then P220 . . . Then P266 . .my vote on Poll . P22. Of Course I remember the 224 (?) good OR bad . . I've got two ..40 cal with Belly Pack for carry ! Fat old Man , , white sock and tennis shoes . . . Shoots fine for me after Sig fixed both of them . . Got to have Extended 12 rd Grip !!!!
I carry a P224 357sig in the summer with an extended mag in the pocket. The Signess does not stop with the 3 the OP mentioned lol.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
I also have all three. But, a P220 (45 ACP) hits a soft spot with me. Steel frame or alloy, full size or carry, I think they’re great pistols!
Same here. I also find that the P220 carries better than the P226 and P229. Although a big gun, it’s slim and feels good carrying. Although on paper the P229 seems like the better carry gun, I can’t wait to take it off after a full day of carry. It’s a chunky monkey. Not so the P220. The P226 is a great gun also but always seemed to me to be overbuilt for a 9mm. I found a .357 top end for it and now it seems just right.

My current favorite pistol of all time is the P220 Combat. I just love this pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
P320 Carry 9mm, P229 .40 Railed German frame
137 Posts
I would say that my P229 carried as good as my P320 if not better. Felt like same length and just a tad slimmer. Decocker makes it pretty safe but if you use it you can easily cock it back before your first shot.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am debating on which pistol to get. It’s not really meant for any specific role, as I have a P365XL, PDP 4.5 and a Q5 Match to fill various roles. I want a steel frame, hammer fire pistol to have something outside of polymer striker fire pistols. I plan on settling down on buying so this is my “last buy” (which I know it’s not). Of the 3, which is really the “must own”?
There are steel-framed variants for the P229 and P226 in 9/40/357, and P220 in 45/10, but they're very hard to come by these days. Therefore, snag the first one you see if you feel right about it. They're all great shooters. As for the metal alloy frames, I'd get the classic P226 in 9mm (my pick is the Mk25).

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have that one. My little,UID Label slipped off after a couple cleanings. I saved it, but I like it better without the label. ;)
File a warranty claim with Sig! I would love to hear their reaction. Did it come off after a lot of carry or as a safe queen? I bought mine a few months ago and haven’t even fired it yet so label still in tact but wouldn’t expect it to hold up under ongoing use.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts