SIG Talk banner

Which is the “must have”?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating on which pistol to get. It’s not really meant for any specific role, as I have a P365XL, PDP 4.5 and a Q5 Match to fill various roles. I want a steel frame, hammer fire pistol to have something outside of polymer striker fire pistols. I plan on settling down on buying so this is my “last buy” (which I know it’s not). Of the 3, which is really the “must own”?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
403 Posts
They all are must owns. I think a better way to look at it is the order you work toward getting them. P226, followed by p229, followed by p220. That would be my pick. I personally think the p226 is the perfect firearm.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
If you want a different caliber the P220 is a great pistol (P227SAS is an even better 45 IMO)
But sticking with 9MM the P229 and P226 are equal to me in every way but one.
The P229 can be carried more easily.
Plus the P229 can use P229 mags, P228 mags and even P226 mags
The P226 can only use P226 mags

·
Registered
897 Posts
I am debating on which pistol to get. It’s not really meant for any specific role, as I have a P365XL, PDP 4.5 and a Q5 Match to fill various roles. I want a steel frame, hammer fire pistol to have something outside of polymer striker fire pistols. I plan on settling down on buying so this is my “last buy” (which I know it’s not). Of the 3, which is really the “must own”?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
All three are excellent firearms (I have them all). it all depends on your needs/wants. The 220 .45 ACP is a great firearm but a single stack so limited in capacity. The 226 in 9MM is another fantastic piece and with MecGar 18 round mags you have lots of firepower. I have a 229 in 357 Sig and the size is nice for concealed carry and uses a phenomenal cartridge altho’ it is very expensive unless you reload. None8 of them are steel framed unless you want true stainless.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I have all three (and a W. German P225). They’re all superb quality and extremely accurate. Each has its purpose.
In order of immediacy:
  1. P226 or Mk25 - if you can only have one, get this
  2. P229 or M11-A1 - if your express purpose is year-around carry, consider this
  3. P220-45 Full-Size because this one started the whole Sig reputation (note P220 Nitron is no longer in the retail catalog)
    1. P220 Carry if that is your purpose

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Seeing how you mentioned "steel" frame, suggest you look for one of the discontinued Stainless Steel Elites available in each of the models you suggested, or go for one of the Master Shop X- Series which were mostly made in Germany.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seeing how you mentioned "steel" frame, suggest you look for one of the discontinued Stainless Steel Elites available in each of the models you suggested, or go for one of the Master Shop X- Series which were mostly made in Germany.
That was a misstatement on my part. I meant metal/alloy frame really; something that isn't polymer.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have a P226 ASE and had a P229 so the obvious choice is the P220.

Reactions: sobertito

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
What caliber?

They all come in different flavors.

Reactions: sobertito

·
Registered
471 Posts
That was a misstatement on my part. I meant metal/alloy frame really; something that isn't polymer.
Don't let that stop you from getting all stainless as well. :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts