SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only suppressor is a Silencer Co. Sparrow for my Ruger Rimfire Precision rifle.

I’m trying to decide for my next on whether to get one for my Sig P220 Legion in .45 ACP or my Beretta 92x, which is 9mm. Purpose is home defense gun and range fun. Either pistol would require getting a threaded barrel. (Potential ringer is LGS has used Glock G21 4th gen that I might purchase. I’d still need to get threaded barrel.)

The pro of .45 ACP is it’s a subsonic round, already. The con is ammo price compared to 9mm. Haven’t priced 9mm subsonic ammo so it may make ammo cost a wash. The pro of 9mm can is I also have a Sig P229 Nitron which is just a threaded barrel purchase away from joining the fun.

Thoughts? Suggestions for cans for either caliber? Thanks.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228, MPX K 4.5”
985 Posts
Kind of two different issues…

First, what do you want for home defense…10 rounds of .45 of 15 rounds of 9mm? Decide that, then you have your answer. I don’t think the can makes a difference. Decide on your HD weapon, then get the right can.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Huge SIG fan. Own lots of cans. Generally speaking, the 92, which is not tilting barrel, is a better host.

·
🎖USAF Retired
343 Posts
As said above, you can run a .45 suppressor on either one. When using low velocity .45 ACP rounds (less than 800 fps) with a suppressor, the noise levels are very low, and with the wider frontal area of the round, you don't have to worry about expansion, which you won't get due to the lower velocity. I would use SWC target loads (200 grain LSWC @ approx. 800 fps) with a suppressor.
I don't think the noise levels would be as low with a 9mm round as most are significantly higher than 800 fps and of course, there is the issue of little to no expansion if using HP ammo at velocities less than 1,000 fps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts