SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still stumbling around this forum so please bear with me.
New to the forum and looking for some help. I have a new P220 carry I bought yesterday, and an older P220 (at least 10 years old). The mags that came with the new weapon are crimped in front more than the older mags. As a result the new mags won't load Hornady 230 grain XTP's or Remington 230 grain JHP's. the noses of these rounds contact the crimps on the mags. They will load Federal HST's and ball ammo. My 10 year old mags will load anything I put in them. Has anyone heard of a redesign? All are marked P220-1 made in Italy
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have the same problem with the later P220 mags too. They don't work with Hornady 200 gr or 185 gr XTPs either. Even the SIG 200 gr V-Crown JHPs are cutting it real close.

I'm thinking about widening the crimp just a little to see if that works, but I haven't decided how yet.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
There were reports of some of the 10mm magazines that were having the same problem with some bullet profiles, due to the dimples in the magazines.
When they interfere with Sig produced ammunition, a call to Sig CS is in order!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking the same thing. It wouldn't take much to get the clearance I am looking for. These mags are stout though...

·
14,048 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. It wouldn't take much to get the clearance I am looking for. These mags are stout though...
If you are going to try this, may I recommend using "round nose pliers" to prevent the possibility of creasing the metal

Reactions: Devereaux

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
There were reports of some of the 10mm magazines that were having the same problem with some bullet profiles, due to the dimples in the magazines.
When they interfere with Sig produced ammunition, a call to Sig CS is in order!
No. Some people were bitching because the 10mm mags do NOT have dimples - or at least did not for a long time - and it makes it harder to insert the magazine. It took a stronger slap to get it by the magazine catch.
The folds on the front corners were left of specifically because SIG and Bruce Gray, who consulted on the project, wanted to give added clearance for really big hunting rounds and wad-cutter style target loads.

I have a P220 10mm.

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
I hope this pic loads. New mag is on the right
Bad batch of magazines.

Someone at Mec-Gar screwed up and put a greater fold in the corners. I see no reasonable reason for SIG to willfully change the specs because of reports of the original P220 mags having issues with some of the newer, larger-profile bullets.

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
...When they interfere with Sig produced ammunition, a call to Sig CS is in order!
Proof positive that they are a bad production run of magazines.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The SIG V-Crown JHP's fit and feed, but they are close.

All of the Hornady XTP ammo hangs in my newer SIG mags. The small radius on the XTP bullets hit the crimp on both sides of the mag going in and hangs on the way out. I also have the problem with ACT mags that I have purchased recently.

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
I don't own any ACT mags.

But Mec-Gar has increased the bend on the factory magazines and they should not have. None of my SIG factory mags have any issues.
If the more tapered XTPs have issues, a LOT of ammo will have issues.
SIG needs to know about the problem with the new magazines!!

Call SIG, send them the comparison pics and tell them you want your mags replaced!!

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
I'm still stumbling around this forum so please bear with me.
New to the forum and looking for some help. I have a new P220 carry I bought yesterday, and an older P220 (at least 10 years old). The mags that came with the new weapon are crimped in front more than the older mags. As a result the new mags won't load Hornady 230 grain XTP's or Remington 230 grain JHP's. the noses of these rounds contact the crimps on the mags. They will load Federal HST's and ball ammo. My 10 year old mags will load anything I put in them. Has anyone heard of a redesign? All are marked P220-1 made in Italy
Thanks for the input!
I picked up my new P220 SAS Gen 2 Carry today.
Build Date: 11 February 2017.

It came with two standard 8-round magazines.
They did have the detent. On that issue, I am convinced that the ones you purchases a while back were new-old stock of the original P220 mags.

But these two mags do indeed have the more severe crimp on the front-right corner that pushes the magazine catch aside. I compared them to the stash of SIG factory standard-capacity 8-roung mags I have in the safe. These two that came with the SAS are crimped much more just like those from the other thread. Which means that they are COMPLETELY unsatisfactory to me. Especially if they have any hint of an issue with my Federal 230 gr HST JHPs which have a fairly wide mouth.

I didn't bother getting the container of my SIG factory 10-round extended mags out. I know that they are properly crimped like my standard 8-round mags.

I am going to contact SIG and send them the photo of the top of the two mags borrowed from the other thread. Or I may take my own pics. See if I can convince them that they have bad mags from Mec-Gar.

I'm glad I have plenty of good mags stocked up.

If SIG sends me replacements and they are screwed up too, then I'll re-shape the corner. :(

But I love that gun! Almost the same size as my P239 SAS Gen 2 9mm, the same number of rounds, but a much bigger bore. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but this was very interesting information and thought I’d add.

I had 4 factory mags (3 in 8rd, 1 in 10rd) and 2 ACT-MAG 8 rd. All have the dimples and never caused issues with the 230gr ball ammo I use (typically Winchester and Federal) or Sig V-Crown 200 gr holllow points.

A few months back I bought a box of Hornady Custom XTP 230gr +P. Before trying it out I looked up reviews of this ammo in P220s and came across this issue. Other threads talked about ammo specs and that Sig made their mags in the low (too low) end of 45 ACP specs and that was it. I tired loading the Hornady ammo and sure enough, would not feed into the magazine. So I just stored away my Hornady ammo.

This thread is the first I’ve read that there seem to be differences in these “dimples” based on manufacturer or batches.

Well, over Christmas I received another factory 10rd mag (in Sig Sauer factory plastic bag). When trying it out at the range the first time I noticed it wouldn’t seat unless I really slammed it in. Looking closer I realized it had almost NO dimples at all, almost a straight wall. It functioned fine otherwise but I didn’t try out the Hornady ammo (didn’t even take it as I figured it wouldn’t work.)

Upon reading this thread today I tried placing the Hornady ammo in this “new” 10rd mag and surprisingly, IT FITS.
Now it does look extremely close to the inside wall of the magazine, almost touching. Next range trip I’ll try it out to see how it functions.

Either way I plan to contact Sig customer service and get their take on it.
I’ll post a pic of the mag that works in the next couple days or so...and sorry for the long post.

·
🎖USMC Retired Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Never realized 220 mags were so picky. I have close to a dozen. The ACT blue ones (2) have a lock-back issue (1); the Sig stainless ones seem to function great, but I’ve only shot 230 ball through it. Maybe I should try some 185 +P Cor Bon and see if that works well.

·
14,048 Posts
How "old" are the ACT magazines? The OPs magazine photo's, show as I've noted by the orange arrows the "taper" used to push the "catch" aside. The one on the right has "too much" of a taper, which can limit nose profiles of some ammunition. The one on the left, has about the right amount, and there are some with little to no taper, which requires the catch to be depressed, for the magazine to seat!

In the case with your ACT magazines, the parts are almost identical to the Sig (Mec-Gar/Italian) magazines, so Wolff replacement 8 round springs should work. If your ACT magazine follower has a "problem", contact their US Distributor, which should have replacement parts... "New Distributor" - Contact Us
Technology Games Electronic device Electronic component Switch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I've had similar problems with the original mags (8 rounds, .45 ACP) of my P220 X-Six II. I was not able to load more than 3 rounds of WM Bullets SWC ammo without a mag loader. Sadly Sig Sauer did not seem to care and now they are closed (in Eckernförde).
Someone from "caliber" (German gun magazine) gave me the advice to try "old" 7 round mags from the "normal" P220. The do not have a fancy aluminum bottom but THEY WORK well.

·
14,048 Posts
Hi, I've had similar problems with the original mags (8 rounds, .45 ACP) of my P220 X-Six II. I was not able to load more than 3 rounds of WM Bullets SWC ammo without a mag loader. Sadly Sig Sauer did not seem to care and now they are closed (in Eckernförde).
Someone from "caliber" (German gun magazine) gave me the advice to try "old" 7 round mags from the "normal" P220. The do not have a fancy aluminum bottom but THEY WORK well.
Even the earlier 8 round magazines, before the introduction of the "detent" (purple arrow, above), there did not appear to be any apparent problems. Another possibility, and I do not know about their availability in Europe, would be the other Italian magazine manufacture ACT-Mag, which is essentially a clone of the MEC-Gar magazines, only blued steel, or nickel plated bodies, but do not have the "detent".
String instrument accessory
String instrument accessory Metal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.