SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that you guys can help me out.

Yesterday at the range, firing a P220 .45, we had an issue.

The gun would cycle and the last round in the mag would feed in to the chamber. Hammer was back/cocked, and the trigger was pulled. It would click, but the hammer would not fall and the gun would not fire. Trigger was pulled again and nothing. If the magazine was removed, it would fire without a problem.

This exact issue happened 4 times in a row, with different magazines. We were using Winchester white box range ammo that we have used 10's of thousands of times before.

The gun was taken out of service at that time and the officer was issued another P220 until this one can be diagnosed and repaired.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Exactly the same problem I just had with a new P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 .45ACP. The trigger bar was bent and the tab on the trigger bar that contacts the tab on the sear was slipping past the end of the sear tab. I would happen in single-action fire with the magazine inserted. The magazine just pushes on the trigger bar enough to allow the tab to slip by the sear's tab.

I've heard of a couple of other recent .45s from SIG having the same issue.
I could have repaired it but I sent it to SIG to see if there was something else wrong.
SIG replaced the trigger bar and it seems fine now. Haven't taken it to the range but I cannot replicate the problem now.

I thought maybe I somehow bent the trigger bar removing the one-piece ergo grip but I'm thinking SIG has some bad trigger bars or had someone installing them that kept bending them. Who knows? I'm glad it appears to be fixed.

EDIT TO ADD: Remove right grip panel, insert empty mag, cock the hammer and watch the trigger bar-sear tab engagement to see if the trigger bar is slipping by the sear tab.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
I am hoping that you guys can help me out.

Yesterday at the range, firing a P220 .45, we had an issue.

The gun would cycle and the last round in the mag would feed in to the chamber. Hammer was back/cocked, and the trigger was pulled. It would click, but the hammer would not fall and the gun would not fire. Trigger was pulled again and nothing. If the magazine was removed, it would fire without a problem.

This exact issue happened 4 times in a row, with different magazines. We were using Winchester white box range ammo that we have used 10's of thousands of times before.

The gun was taken out of service at that time and the officer was issued another P220 until this one can be diagnosed and repaired.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DK24, GBIAs pictures will be a good start for you, for comparison, and his diagnosis may be correct about the trigger bar being bent. But there could also be other causes.
Questions I have include, is this a new firearm?
Another question, does this pistol have the SRT? GBIAs picture shows the trigger bars tab missing the extended tab of the sear, which is on the SRT sear only.
Another possibility "could" be the hammer pin shifting to far to the left... remove the left grip, and if the pin extends past the frame on the left, move it to the right flush with the frame.
Also check the Trigger Bar Spring for proper position! If it is an older pistol, it may be time for replacement.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
...Another question, does this pistol have the SRT? GBIAs picture shows the trigger bars tab missing the extended tab of the sear, which is on the SRT sear only.....
Close but wrong. :)
This pistol actually DOES have the SRT.

It is the P220 SAS Gen 2 Carry, 220R3-45-SAS2B.

The trigger bar was bent and would pass the end of the sear's tab. New trigger bar; no problems.
The thickness of the tab on the sear is the visual clue.

The P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 features a melt treatment on frame and slide, SRT Trigger System, short trigger, SIGLITE Night Sights, and one-piece ergonomic grips. The slide features an engraved SIG SAUER Custom Shop logo. The Generation 2 SAS is available in a Nitron or Two-Tone version. This P220 Carry pistol from the SIG SAUER Custom Shop has gone through a radical dehorning process resulting in an ultra smooth, snag free profile that's ideal for concealed carry.
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p220-sas-gen2-carry.html

·
Registered
552 Posts
Exactly the same problem I just had with a new P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 .45ACP. The trigger bar was bent and the tab on the trigger bar that contacts the tab on the sear was slipping past the end of the sear tab. I would happen in single-action fire with the magazine inserted. The magazine just pushes on the trigger bar enough to allow the tab to slip by the sear's tab.

I've heard of a couple of other recent .45s from SIG having the same issue.
I could have repaired it but I sent it to SIG to see if there was something else wrong.
SIG replaced the trigger bar and it seems fine now. Haven't taken it to the range but I cannot replicate the problem now.

I thought maybe I somehow bent the trigger bar removing the one-piece ergo grip but I'm thinking SIG has some bad trigger bars or had someone installing them that kept bending them. Who knows? I'm glad it appears to be fixed.

EDIT TO ADD: Remove right grip panel, insert empty mag, cock the hammer and watch the trigger bar-sear tab engagement to see if the trigger bar is slipping by the sear tab.
Seems very likely this might be the OP's problem. But why would the trigger bar only slip past the sear on the last round?

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Don't know unless something changes about the amount of pressure being applied by the magazine on the trigger bar.

When I was diagnosing mine I found that it didn't occur 100% of the time with every magazine. But it did occur 100% of the time with some magazines. When I say 100% of the time with some magazines, I mean a failure to drop the hammer on each and every round I tried to fire after chambering a round.

I found that with some magazines if I just applied a tiny bit of pressure to one side of the magazine base pad or the other, I could affect whether or not the trigger bar would slip over the end of the sear's tab.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,048 Posts
GBIA, I wasn't talking about your pistol, but the OPs, as it was only described as a P220, in his "complaint". Nothing was said, about it being new, or older weapon, that is why I was asking pointing out about other conditions that could effect the pistols performance.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
Just a Theory...

Some SIGs have “innies” and some have “outies”.

Talking about the trigger bar disconnector tab. Some disconnector tabs, like on the P220 and P239, run on the outside of the frame while those on the P226 and 229 run on the inside of the frame. Those on the outside of the frame have the potential to be pushed further out by the mag and then the TB sear tab missed the sear.

When the last round in the mag is chambered, the mag follower starts pushing up on the slide catch lever. That pressure on the left side of the mag could push the mag to the right and up against the trigger bar more than normal. Differences in mag springs and followers could account for why the failure happens more with particular mags.

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
word.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.