SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the sig forum but I am a long time sig owner. If own a p220 built in 1993. I am the original owner and I've put only about 4k rounds through this. I purchased some cheep ammo recently and has issues with FTE. Since it was due to have a rebuild and pro cleaning anyway, I just sent to to Sig. When it arrived they informed me that the frame is cracked. (See enclosed picture, crack is in front of the slide release). Since it was hidden by the grips, its hard to say when this occurred. Anyway, sig refused to clean it and add new springs because it is unsafe. My questions are. Since I likely damaged it more then 20 years ago when I carried it on the job and since shot thousands of rounds, how unsafe is it? It has sentimental value so I have no interest in selling it. Also, is it likely that this would cause an FTE? Are there reputable gun smiths, other than sig, that would clean and change all the springs?

I've barged about the quality of Sig for years, but after dropping nearly 1k on a pistol that only made it 4k rounds, I'm very upset. If I have to replace it, I can't say I'd buy another one right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
A very disturbing development.

How unsafe is it? If the manufacturer says the cracked frame makes it "unsafe", it wouldn't make any difference to me what anyone here says (no offense); it's unsafe. But then I'm a noob and don't know much about handguns.

·
Registered
22,075 Posts
I'm new to the sig forum but I am a long time sig owner. If own a p220 built in 1993. I am the original owner and I've put only about 4k rounds through this. I purchased some cheep ammo recently and has issues with FTE. Since it was due to have a rebuild and pro cleaning anyway, I just sent to to Sig. When it arrived they informed me that the frame is cracked. (See enclosed picture, crack is in front of the slide release). Since it was hidden by the grips, its hard to say when this occurred. Anyway, sig refused to clean it and add new springs because it is unsafe. My questions are. Since I likely damaged it more then 20 years ago when I carried it on the job and since shot thousands of rounds, how unsafe is it? It has sentimental value so I have no interest in selling it. Also, is it likely that this would cause an FTE? Are there reputable gun smiths, other than sig, that would clean and change all the springs?

I've barged about the quality of Sig for years, but after dropping nearly 1k on a pistol that only made it 4k rounds, I'm very upset. If I have to replace it, I can't say I'd buy another one right now.
Sounds like you don't really know when the crack happened. Must have not been removing the grips during cleaning or just didn't notice it. It could have happened very recently. There is always a possibility of flaws in any metal that go unseen until it causes a failure. It could have happened very recently. If I am looking at the correct area on the picture, that is fairly bright alloy showing. Which suggests to me that it could be a very recent failure. I would have expected some darkening from crude collecting over time, especially being right at the slide rails on the frame, or darkening from oxidation. Maybe could stay bright if you did remove the grips and clean and lube thoroughly on a regular basis. But I would think you would have noticed the problem during a cleaning.

I guess Sig's lifetime warranty doesn't cover such failures?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Good question Ballistic. I think the warranty should cover frame damage. To the OP, yes, that is not safe. Super not safe in fact. That is nearly directly underneath the breach, where the largest forces are created in a gun. The potential for catastrophic disaster is enough that you should never fire that gun. I believe you should ask Sig about what their warranty can do for you, but wouldn't hold out hope. I do not know that there is a way to properly fix that. Replacement may be a possibility? Hope Sig gets this one right for you.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Give Bruce Gray @ Gray Guns a call. Grayguns by Bruce Gray

He may be able to repair the frame if you are intent on keeping the original.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great point Alabama. I didn't think about it looking newish. I just can't figure out where I could have cracked it. It sits in a safe, in a hard plastic container except when I head the the range maybe 4times a year. I already got it back from Sig and it will not be covered under warrantee. They offered me a discount on a used Sig, but I must say, I've lost my faith. I've never even considered owning anything other than a Sig, obviously I have some soul searching to to before I consider a replacement.

·
Registered
22,075 Posts
Great point Alabama. I didn't think about it looking newish. I just can't figure out where I could have cracked it. It sits in a safe, in a hard plastic container except when I head the the range maybe 4times a year. I already got it back from Sig and it will not be covered under warrantee. They offered me a discount on a used Sig, but I must say, I've lost my faith. I've never even considered owning anything other than a Sig, obviously I have some soul searching to to before I consider a replacement.
Who knows, it could have happened the last time it was fired. A flaw inside a metal part can easily go undetected, slowly expanding, until the right day and the right conditions just cause it to fail in a visible manner.

You said you "carried it on the job" at one point. Was it a department issue or something that you were able to keep? If they know it was a duty weapon, it may not be covered under warranty due to expected heavier than average use. I don't know how that is handled by Sig.

But I certainly would not let that turn you away from Sig. That could happen to any brand of firearm. Indeed, it can happen to any metal part on any mechanical device that is subjected to any type of repetitive forces, especially strong repetitive forces. If it is mechanical, it can fail. No matter what you are talking about. Sigs are excellent weapons and I would consider this a rare fluke.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Wow, I'm really surprised! How is that not covered under warranty? Did they give you a reason/excuse? What could a shooter possibly have done to create that kind of failure?

:mad:

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
The crack may be a result of firing impulses transmitted to the frame rather than some accidental impact. Though 4k rounds wouldn't be an excessive round count. Had you made a practice of firing +P or +P+ ammo?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'll give Gray Guns a call before I give in to what sounds like may be the inevitable. It's funny, I keep reading hoping to see what I want to see. My hope was that someone has experienced this before and had a solution. My thought was to see if a gunsmith would be willing to drill a micro hole at the termination on the crack and see if it might stop it from spreading. Then inspecting it after every 100 rounds, never using +p ammo, and watch to see if it grows. Again, that's what I WANT to hear but I'm becoming resigned to the fact that it may have fired its last rounds.

I know it may be a bad analogy but I'll give my two cents anyway. If I buy a pair of boots from LL Bean and wear them every day to anywhere, I can bring them back a get a new pair every time when they break even 20 years later. Yes, you pay a premium price at LL Bean but I thought a paid a premium for my P220. I do realize that it IS 20 years old so I have mixed feelings about how mad I have a right to be. One thing is for sure, before I make my next purchase, I'm going to browse the forums to see how other gun manufactures treat customers and their warranties. Sig may still end up on top, who knows?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry to hear about your P220. Why did Sig not honored their Limited Lifetime Warrenty? From what I saw it didn't look like you negleted the firearm...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts