SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a P220 Compact. While I'm waiting on it to be delivered, my mind is exploring the possibility of mating the frame with a full size P220 upper. I'm a huge fan of the CCO style 1911s. In addition to a Sig C3, i have a few other brands with the same configuration. A full P220 slide on the compact frame might be just what I'm craving. Barrel length has never been a problem for me when concealing, including a 6" N-Frame. Has anyone done this before? Pictures? It looks like I can pick up a caliber X-Change kit for $299.

Thanks

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts
I recently purchased a P220 Compact. While I'm waiting on it to be delivered, my mind is exploring the possibility of mating the frame with a full size P220 upper. I'm a huge fan of the CCO style 1911s. In addition to a Sig C3, i have a few other brands with the same configuration. A full P220 slide on the compact frame might be just what I'm craving. Barrel length has never been a problem for me when concealing, including a 6" N-Frame. Has anyone done this before? Pictures? It looks like I can pick up a caliber X-Change kit for $299.

Thanks
First off, let me welcome you to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana!
As for your question, it could be possible, the length of the frame I believe is the same. The compact is just basically 1/2" shorter barrel and slide. The only problem I could see, is possibly the Barrels lower lugs/Locking Insert compatibility. On a 1911 type you have different length barrel links, and lower lug profiles for the barrel to lock into the slide. The Classic P series Sigs
use different locking inserts, and barrel bottom lug locations to perform the same task.

No doubt someone here has attempted this, hopefully you will get an answer before too long.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think it should work. From what I've seen, the "compact" has both a shorter barrel and a shorter grip (6-round mag, I think). The "carry" has a full-sized grip, and also the shorter barrel. I have used my full-sized 220 slide on my Elite Carry frame with no issues; so I think you could put the full-sized slide on the compact frame as well.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk. Congrats on your 220 acquisition and good luck with your project. I have a C3 and love that configuration as well. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

From what I've read, the full size slide should be compatible with the compact frame. I've just got to decide if the extra .5 inch is worth $300. Once I get the weapon in hand, I'll see if I can find someone local with a P220 that is willing to let me try the slide on the compact frame. I'm a little worried that it might throw the balance off too much, although I can't see that it would make that much difference.

If I do it, I'll make sure to take some pics and post my opinions.

Thanks again

·
Registered
279 Posts
It would not work on my 245. I could get the 245 slide to fit on my German folded slide 220 frame, but the 220 slide would not fit on the German 245 frame. This leads me to believe that the problem(for my guns) has to do with the barrel/ locking block fit. My 245 locking block is marked "45C", while the 220 is marked "45".

But if Sig would make the compact frame with the full-size slide, several would join the stable! I also prefer the shorter grip and longer slide for CCW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the P220 Compact came home today. I'll have to put some rounds through it before I decide on a full length upper. Honestly, I kind of like the feel of it as is. I already had a set of Hogue G-10 grips waiting on it. They improved the feel even more.
I am a little disappointed in myself when it comes to holster compatibility, though. I've read so many times that a P220 Carry size upper will fit in a P229 holster, I took it for granted that I'd have my pick from my accumulation over the years. The only one that comes close to working is my Bullard Bodyguard and it's still off enough that I won't use it for the P220 Compact. Square trigger guard guns just don't fit well in round trigger guard holsters.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Buy a 220 holster and all the 220s will fit in it, plus the 239.

OTOH, the 220s won't fit in a 239 holster because of the square trigger guard on the 239, same as what you're seeing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OTOH, the 220s won't fit in a 239 holster because of the square trigger guard on the 239, same as what you're seeing.
It's the same difference, but my problem is just the opposite. The 229 has the round trigger guard. The 220 compact has the square one.

I didn't even think about trying it in my 239 holsters, but my 239 has a round trigger guard, too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If I remember correctly, the milled P220 compact slide and the folded P220 full length slide use the same locking block insert, but the full length milled slide uses a different locking insert. One was 5 dots and the other was a six dot I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.