SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
P220 9mm | Advice | Value

Hello Sigtalk,

I put up a WTB post in my local gun trader forum and someone just contacted me saying he has a older P220 9mm that he wants to trade or sell. Just wondering if there is any advice you guys could give me on this pistol. I know these are difficult to find and would go nicely in my collection of W. German Sigs but only if the price is right and the gun is in good shape.

My question is what is the value on one of these things now? He says its a nice shooter and says its not in excellent condition by any means. He also said the importers logo is sloppy? Not really sure who imported them as I dont have photos of the P220 yet from him but he said he purchased it from Gander Mountain. Not sure if he has the original box and papers but he did say he has about 10 magazines for this gun.

Im planning to meet with him tomorrow morning to check the P220 out and gauge the value then, after inspecting the rails and such.

Any advice would be helpful! thanks!

-Soopreme

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Hmm... I'm definitely not an expert, and I am approaching this as if I were you and I didn't get any helpful responses by tomorrow. I would think that it would be reasonably valuable if it were in pristine shape, but otherwise, I would have to determine what it's worth once seeing it and going over it. If it is rough shape but shootable, I don't think I would pay more than $250 or so for it- it wouldn't be worth more than that to me. But, I'm not searching for one, either. Because I'm not collecting, I'd only be looking for a bargain.
If it is rough, does it have any collectible value? Even if you restore it, the market isn't great for recoated guns, from what I see. So, either it is collectible in whatever condition that it is in, or it is only as valuable as you deem it for your needs.
Those are just my thoughts- I'm sure that someone much more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

Reactions: Wetncold

·
Registered
55,782 Posts
as a shooter it's probably got some mileage, check rails closely & general condition.

if original box & test target + 10 mags $600.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Just to give you a starting point, I paid $295 for my '77 9mm P220 with 1 mag in rough exterior (but fairly nice internal) condition that was a Swiss police turn in. I also paid $45 each for two additional used SIG factory 9mm mags to give you an idea how much the 10 mags are worth, probably around $35-$45 each, IF they are SIG factory mags.

Assuming the gun is not a police surplus and the gun is in nicer shape, then I could see $400-$650 with only 2 mags depending on condition and whether the original box and papers are included. If the P220 has the American button mag release instead of the usual European heel release, then the gun could be worth more, and so might the mags because they are even rarer.

Pictures of my rough 9mm P220 withe a very ugly import mark.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Hoping everything goes as planned tomorrow. Been looking for one of these for a while now.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I passed up a beautiful 9mm P220 a few months ago. It had papers, box and a sales receipt. It was going for $450.
If that gun was in as nice a condition as you say and it had all of the original papers and box, then I think $450 was a steal, if it was not a Swiss turn-in pistol. Have any idea what year that P220 was made?

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
If that gun was in as nice a condition as you say and it had all of the original papers and box, then I think $450 was a steal, if it was not a Swiss turn-in pistol. Have any idea what year that P220 was made?
At the time I had no idea what it was. I was not a SIGaholic but I do remember it being in very good shape, it was not a police trade in and it had the heel magazine release. As for the year I believe it was late 70's but I'm not sure and again I was not well versed in older SIG's. I mostly remember what I know now based on an email thread I found about said gun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I paid $300 for mine '84 P220 with Euro mag catch and a refinished slide without a box or papers with one Magazine from a private seller. Paid $50 a piece for 2 more mags from a dealer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cmoe, love the grips. Are those regular P220 .45 grips or something else?

Sent from my iPad using Outdoor Forums
No They are aftermarket Karl Nill replacement Walnut Grips with heal mag release. Mine is a 9mm, I wish it was a .45, I may replace it with a .45 some day...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks again guys for the info and quick responses! With your help I think I got a real good bargain this weekend!

The p220 didnt come with box or papers but it did come with the small blue plastic case along with 9 original zipper back magazines. He brought along his P6 as well just to see if I would be interested. The P6 came with old Marschal P6 marked grips and 3 original mags and the same blue case. They both have a good amount of holster wear but the rails and barrels were in excellent condition. Couldnt pass them up.

I ended up trading both the P220 and P6 for a used aimpoint t1 with mount ($600 value on my end). So if I were to price the magazines at a reasonable $30/mag thats almost $250 in just extra magazines. So basically I got the p220 and p6 for around $175 each. I couldnt be happier! Now added to my collection of W. Germans.

Again, I want to say thanks to everyone who chimed in!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
You did well. Nice job.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Congratulations! You got a screaming deal on a couple of classic SIGs. :thumbsu: Your new 9mm P220 looks like a cousin of my gun. It appears to have the same importer marks on the frame chin, and it looks like a Swiss Canton (police) mark on the front left side of the slide.

This is mine from the Swiss police of the Canton of Geneva.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congratulations! You got a screaming deal on a couple of classic SIGs. :thumbsu: Your new 9mm P220 looks like a cousin of my gun. It appears to have the same importer marks on the frame chin, and it looks like a Swiss Canton (police) mark on the front left side of the slide.

This is mine from the Swiss police of the Canton of Geneva.
thanks guys! yes it does have the similar markings as yours. Does yours say "MONTAGE SUISSE" on the right of the slide under P220? thanks for the info!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Quick question... I want to change out the guide rods and recoil springs on both the P220 9mm and the P6. For the p6 I know I can use the P225 parts. But not sure which ones I need for the P220 since its a 9mm and the only ones I can find are for the .45 caliber.

I also noticed that the P6 I got from him the guide rod sticks out a tad. Not sure why. Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
thanks guys! yes it does have the similar markings as yours. Does yours say "MONTAGE SUISSE" on the right of the slide under P220? thanks for the info!
No, mine does not. That would mean the gun was assembled in Switzerland and would not have German proof marks. Is yours a "Montage Suisse" because I think they are a little more desirable. Commercial versions are even rarer because not many leave Switzerland.

Quick question... I want to change out the guide rods and recoil springs on both the P220 9mm and the P6. For the p6 I know I can use the P225 parts. But not sure which ones I need for the P220 since its a 9mm and the only ones I can find are for the .45 caliber.

I also noticed that the P6 I got from him the guide rod sticks out a tad. Not sure why. Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks in advance!
I bought a recoil spring from Wolff for my 9mm P220 because the original spring that came with the gun was a single strand one, which SIG does not sell. I can't remember which weight spring It was, but it was either 14 or 15 lbs. As I recall someone in Switzerland on that other forum said that was what he used.

I don't know if the guide rod in your P220 was like mine, but the flange end on mine was slightly bent on both sides so I wanted to replace it. It turns out the regular P220 guide rod would not work because the flange would not fit between the sides of the locking insert. That made me think that the guide rod that came with my gun was not original and that the flange had been intentional bent to fit. I wound up buying a solid stainless steel guide rod from Steve Bedair because they made one specifically for the 9mm P220 that fit perfectly.
Steve Bedair Stainless Guide Rods for Handguns
Unfortunately, it appears they are currently closed due to a lightning strike that damaged their machinery.

EDIT: I see that Top Gun Supply does have the Bedair 9mm P220 guide rod in stock.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/bedair-stainless-steel-guide-rod-sig_p220-9mm-38-super.html

I wonder if the 9mm P220s with the regular "nose", like Cmoe's, have this issue with the regular P220 guide rod fitting between the locking insert? Perhaps SIG changed the locking insert in later versions of the 9mm P220.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts