SIG Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Trackrider54, based on my novice understanding, as a Sig P Series Armorer, I believe your question related to safety of holstering the striker fired vs a cocked DA/SA is appropriate. At my current level of understanding of the workings of the striker fired pistols (which Imhave several and have studied at some level) I would say your suggestion they are the same, safety-wise, is accurate. I think one of the psychological hurdles for many is seeing an external hammer cocked on a DA/SA pistol or any pistol for that matter. But in fact a “hammer” is cocked internally on a striker fired pistol. Although the “jury is out” on whether some of the P320 pistols have fired of their own accord, if they actually did it would be because of some internal failure that allowed the hammer to slip off the sear. Both the pistols have a disconnector lever that won’t allow them to fire out of battery. Both have a firing pin safety plunger level that is activated by the trigger bar. On both styles of pistols the trigger has to be pulled to activate the level that suppresses the safety plunger to allow for the firing pin to move forward.

Now, could I place a punch on the back of the firing pin and hit it hard enough with a hammer that it would break past the safely plunger and strike a primer? Maybe. But I doubt if I dropped a cocked DA/SA and it hit on the back of the hammer causing it to break from the sear, that it could move forward fast enough, hitting the firing pin and causing the firing pin to break past the safety plunger.

Don’t try this at home!

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Trackrider54, based on my novice understanding, as a Sig P Series Armorer, I believe your question related to safety of holstering the striker fired vs a cocked DA/SA is appropriate. At my current level of understanding of the workings of the striker fired pistols (which Imhave several and have studied at some level) I would say your suggestion they are the same, safety-wise, is accurate. I think one of the psychological hurdles for many is seeing an external hammer cocked on a DA/SA pistol or any pistol for that matter. But in fact a “hammer” is cocked internally on a striker fired pistol. Although the “jury is out” on whether some of the P320 pistols have fired of their own accord, if they actually did it would be because of some internal failure that allowed the hammer to slip off the sear. Both the pistols have a disconnector lever that won’t allow them to fire out of battery. Both have a firing pin safety plunger level that is activated by the trigger bar. On both styles of pistols the trigger has to be pulled to activate the level that suppresses the safety plunger to allow for the firing pin to move forward.

Now, could I place a punch on the back of the firing pin and hit it hard enough with a hammer that it would break past the safely plunger and strike a primer? Maybe. But I doubt if I dropped a cocked DA/SA and it hit on the back of the hammer causing it to break from the sear, that it could move forward fast enough, hitting the firing pin and causing the firing pin to break past the safety plunger.

Don’t try this at home!
Thanks for the knowledge.

You answered my question. Operationally, there is no difference between a P320 and a P229/226 DA/SA that is cocked. Neither have a trigger "dingus", both have firing pin blocks, and both have about the same trigger weight. I will say, the P320 has a lot more "creep" in the trigger than a DA/SA in single action which could make a difference.

So people saying, "DA/SA guns suck because of the first long trigger pull" aren't 100% correct. They could chamber a round and put it in the holster just like they do a striker fired gun and there is no operational reason why the DA/SA gun wouldn't be just as safe.

Again...I'm not suggesting anyone holster a cocked DA/SA gun. The reason I carry a DA/SA gun is for the longer trigger pull on the first shot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Trackrider54, two more points. 1) on the striker fired pistols I failed to mention or clarify that even in the case of the internally cocked hammer, if it somehow slipped off the sear there is still the redundancy of the firing pin safety plunger holding the firing pin in place in the slide. This is same for the striker or hammer fired pistols. 2) My P365 and P320 all have external manual safeties. Regarding P365 and P320 without manual safeties it just seems logical to me that they are a little less safe (due to potential operator error when holstering with round in chamber) compared to an external hammer fired DA/SA which is decocked as you can hold a thumb on the decocked hammer while you holster and with the several pound greater trigger pull if you gut a shirt tail caught in your holster it would be harder to have a negligent trigger pull, especially with your thumb on back of decocked hammer.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Trackrider54, two more points. 1) on the striker fired pistols I failed to mention or clarify that even in the case of the internally cocked hammer, if it somehow slipped off the sear there is still the redundancy of the firing pin safety plunger holding the firing pin in place in the slide. This is same for the striker or hammer fired pistols. 2) My P365 and P320 all have external manual safeties. Regarding P365 and P320 without manual safeties it just seems logical to me that they are a little less safe (due to potential operator error when holstering with round in chamber) compared to an external hammer fired DA/SA which is decocked as you can hold a thumb on the decocked hammer while you holster and with the several pound greater trigger pull if you gut a shirt tail caught in your holster it would be harder to have a negligent trigger pull, especially with your thumb on back of decocked hammer.
Correct.

And imagine this....

You decock the DA/SA gun, hold the hammer with your thumb as you holster it, then cock the hammer. Would that truly be the best of the best in regard to safety? There would be no way for the gun to go off once the trigger guard is completely enclosed by the holster and even if the hammer falls for some reason...the firing pin block would stop the firing pin.

Again, this is purely an academic discussion. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I’m looking to purchase a P220 in 10mm. I see there is a single action only model and a double action model. Other than the obvious, is there anything internally that makes one better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

-Rob
I suggest stick to the tried and true DA/SA Sig is so famous for on their P22x guns. Point and shoot weapon without having to engage or disengage the MS. Also, the MS I feel gets in the way of the thumb as it is pretty big.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I suggest stick to the tried and true DA/SA Sig is so famous for on their P22x guns. Point and shoot weapon without having to engage or disengage the MS. Also, the MS I feel gets in the way of the thumb as it is pretty big.
I have friend who uses the isreali method and when he shot my SAO he had to rest his supporting thumb on the safety since the safety is in the way of placing it on his thumb. He did really well that way but it was an annoyance to him.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts