SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a P220 in 10mm. I see there is a single action only model and a double action model. Other than the obvious, is there anything internally that makes one better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

-Rob

·
Registered
214 Posts
One of the issues I have with my single action is constantly hitting the slide release because of how the safety is positioned if you use a thumbs forward grip. If I rest on the safety the meat of my thumb prevents lock back. If I place my thumb under the safety it also hits the slide release. You also can not use the Isreali grip because the safety is in the way of where you would press down on your thumb with the support hand. It is a real disappointment and poorly designed for that stand point and basically makes it worthless as a competition gun if reloads are required unless you adapt your grip, draw and presentation.
The advantage is it made me develop an entirely new semi-auto grip system i have never seen illustrated anywhere and has allowed me to increase my draw speed substantially with the new method called straight thumb/crossed thumb and then return to a weaver type stance to use the gun which is the same stance I use for revolvers.

I demonstrate the technique here. It also provides the advantage of easy safety manipulation in the rare event the safety slide is missed on the draw and utilizes a bone on bone lock that is easily replicated.

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
3,007 Posts
There's really no one being better than the other, It really depends on what you are going to use it for and what you prefer. I'm partial to the DA/SA because I can get a shot off just by pulling the trigger, yet I can go for a more precise shot by cocking the hammer and shooting it in single action. The Single Action Only generally has a nicer trigger for those precise shots I refer to, but in my opinion, not so much better as to forgo the benefit of having the Double Action also. I don't think you can go wrong either way, it's just a matter of what you prefer. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if there were any known mechanical differences on the P220 Legion SAO vs DA. I know Sig specifies a different trigger. Is that the only difference between the two? Is the DA trigger better than the SAO or the other way around? I'm finding getting details on this is hard to find, maybe I need to call Sig.

·
Registered
P320-M18, P320XC, M400
162 Posts
I just ordered a P220 10mm Emperor Scorpion from the Pro Shop. Not currently in production but still on the books as made to order. If you want something other than a Legion it may be an option for you. These are all DA/SA. Down side is timing is unknown.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered a P220 10mm Emperor Scorpion from the Pro Shop. Not currently in production but still on the books as made to order. If you want something other than a Legion it may be an option for you. These are all DA/SA. Down side is timing is unknown.
I hadn't considered the Emperor Scorpion. How much more are they than the Legions?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, it is an FDE with the black grips (see below). Priced a little under the Legion.

View attachment 433732

I’m just hoping it materializes this year. They had one in the shop last September and it was sold before I could scrape up the funds to buy it.
Wow, that is nice. I can't seem to find them on their site..I guess a trip to the Pro Shop might be in order.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Mechanical safety vs decocker, same trigger press every time vs DA/SA.
The DA/SA can also have the same trigger pull every time too.

How is holstering a DA/SA gun, cocked, any different that holstering a striker fired gun? I'm not suggesting you carry it that way, but what would prevent you from doing it? There is still a firing pin block safety in place, so the gun can't fire without pulling the trigger. If if the hammer drops...it won't fire if the trigger isn't activating the firing pin block safety. If the trigger is protected, then it can't be pulled. My DA/SA 229 trigger pulls around 4lbs in single action mode which is actually a little heavier than my P320 Apex trigger which pulls at 3.5lbs.

Personally, I like DA/SA guns for carry as I don't mind the longer pull on the first shot. In fact, I prefer it. I like being able to thumb the hammer with I holster the weapon. Theoretically, you could hold the hammer in the cocked position if you holstered it cocked which would actually make it safer than a striker gun...even though it's "cocked and unlocked".

I do prefer SAO guns for competition where if you run a DA/SA gun, by rule it has to be decocked before it is holstered.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The DA/SA can also have the same trigger pull every time too.

How is holstering a DA/SA gun, cocked, any different that holstering a striker fired gun? I'm not suggesting you carry it that way, but what would prevent you from doing it? There is still a firing pin block safety in place, so the gun can't fire without pulling the trigger. If if the hammer drops...it won't fire if the trigger isn't activating the firing pin block safety. If the trigger is protected, then it can't be pulled. My DA/SA 229 trigger pulls around 4lbs in single action mode which is actually a little heavier than my P320 Apex trigger which pulls at 3.5lbs.

Personally, I like DA/SA guns for carry as I don't mind the longer pull on the first shot. In fact, I prefer it. I like being able to thumb the hammer with I holster the weapon. Theoretically, you could hold the hammer in the cocked position if you holstered it cocked which would actually make it safer than a striker gun...even though it's "cocked and unlocked".

I do prefer SAO guns for competition where if you run a DA/SA gun, by rule it has to be decocked before it is holstered.
They say you can do anything once. I can't think of a reputable training facility or gun range that would allow a DA/SA to be thumb cocked as a method of use from a holster. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
They say you can do anything once. I can't think of a reputable training facility or gun range that would allow a DA/SA to be thumb cocked as a method of use from a holster. Good luck.
I agree 100%. I'm not advocating that anyone carry a DA/SA cocked.

I'm more or less wanting to know what makes a striker fired pistol any more safe than carrying a DA/SA "cocked and unlocked".

People are always talking about how striker fired guns are better than DA/SA because they have the "same trigger pull". Well...a DA/SA CAN do the same thing. Why not?

·
Registered
771 Posts
When you use a gun contrary to its intended purpose, you assume all liability by foregoing the intended safeties. Other than during dry fire practice, I would never recommend thumb cocking. As to carrying a gun in an unsafe condition, that should speak for itself. Striker fired guns typically have dual trigger safeties, not a cocked and unlocked condition.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
When you use a gun contrary to its intended purpose, you assume all liability by foregoing the intended safeties. Other than during dry fire practice, I would never recommend thumb cocking. As to carrying a gun in an unsafe condition, that should speak for itself. Striker fired guns typically have dual trigger safeties, not a cocked and unlocked condition.
What trigger safeties does a P320 have that a P229 doesn't?

Not trying to be argumentative. Just wondering what the fundamental difference between holstering a P320 with a 4lb trigger and holstering a P229/226 cocked.

Again, I'm not advocating DOING it...I'm just asking for a scientific explanation as to why one is considered totally safe and the other is considered unsafe. Logically it doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm not one to argue the virtues of striker fired guns for safety or self defense as all metal hammer fired pistols are what I prefer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts