SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum, but couldn't resist sharing the joy I had today when I unpacked a box from Sig. I have been needing an extra magazine for the P220 10mm so finally ordered another. To my amazement they ever so slightly changed the mag so it inserts easily without slapping or depressing the release. Ordered 2 more hopefully they are just as good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
photo

New to forum, but couldn't resist sharing the joy I had today when I unpacked a box from Sig. I have been needing an extra magazine for the P220 10mm so finally ordered another. To my amazement they ever so slightly changed the mag so it inserts easily without slapping or depressing the release. Ordered 2 more hopefully they are just as good.

Can you make a photo of your new mag? Would be interesting to see the change.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
interesting, would like to see photos of the original and the new side by side

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I have the Lipsey model P220 SSE and neither of the mags that came with Mine have never hung up. My build date is jan 12 2017. Hopefully when I receive the extra 10 I ordered they will do the same.;

Oh and Welcome from Texas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is the DA/SA Match Elite born October 16. Went into it knowing from reviews the mags were an issue, but couldn't resist. When I called Sig they stated there was nothing wrong and I could just slap them. It did work, but felt it might be hard to the mag catch in the long term.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Am I just stupid, or do I not understand what R&D is for? How is that a significant mag issue makes it past testing? Same thing with the famous 14 rounders with the P227. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
It wasn't an "issue" that missed testing.

The magazines for the P220 10mm were intentionally designed without the fold to allow feeding very large hard-cast flat-nosed hunting rounds and SWC target rounds.

The P220 .45 ACP mags, which have significant folds in the front corners, have had issues with more modern, wide-mouthed JHPs.

Knowing that the 10mm would be used with wide, flat-nosed hunting rounds, they left those folds off, thus requiring a more firm slap to lock the magazine.

This shouldn't have been a big deal since everyone should be practicing firm tap and racks - the guns are made to take it.

And for those that are extra sensitive about spanking their P220 10mm pistols, they could have easily pressed the magazine catch while inserting the magazine.

BUT, too many people complained because they just KNEW it was a problem that the magazines wouldn't go in as easily as every other SIG.

Hopefully, the slight bend on the new magazines will not cause anyone issues with the larger bullet profiles.

·
Premium Member
39,150 Posts
While I like that Sig added the angle, I never thought for a moment that there was a problem.
Maybe I am old school, but I have had to slap plenty of mags home over the decades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.