SIG Talk banner

P210 legend target firing pin doesn't strike

2051 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Willard
I bought a P210 legend target. The first time I took it out to the range it fired flawlessly. Abut a year later I fired it again and the hammer didn't drive the pin into the primer. I took it apart once to clean it. I'm wondering if I reset the mechanism taking it apart and putting it back together again? I can't believe the firing pin is broken after so few cycles.

Paul
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Paul, what makes you think you have broken the firing pin? Without having one on hand, nor being able to find a suitable parts breakdown, I'll have to play it by ear.
By a picture found on line, it appears to possibly have a firing pin safety, noted by the white arrow pointing to its possible location.
The original P210 didn't have a firing pin safety.
With the slide removed, you will need to push up the firing pin safety from the bottom, to allow the firing pin to protrude from the breech face.
If pushing on it allows the firing pin to protrude, then there is a problem with the lever that operates it. On the Classic P220 through P229 it functions through interaction with the sear.
You will need to look for a lever in the hammer assembly that could interact with that firing pin safety.

I hope that this may help you, as it's the best I can do from here

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Willard

After moving the firing pin safety back several times I didn't notice any protrusion of the firing pin however, after doing that I noticed the dry fire moved a plastic cleaning rod ever so slightly. There is a frame mounted safety on the Legend; but it locks the hammering the trigger. It is different than my p226. It looks like there is a firing pin block that may not be synching with the mechanism on the hammer that moves it aft when firing.

Paul

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Paul, since being a newer model than the original, normally there is a firing pin safety, that required the trigger to be pulled before the firing pin will be allowed to travel far enough to strike a primer. It's part of eliminating an accidental discharge if the weapon is dropped.
With the slide off, and attempting a "function check" by cocking the hammer, and pulling the trigger, but gently releasing the hammer forward with the other hand, there should be a lever rise in the vicinity of that firing pin safety.
I know this is a single action autoloader, and not double action like a P226.
If you have any knowledge of the Colt 1911A1 Series 80 firing pin safeties operation, you will understand what I am saying. Here is a brief example of how the Colt system works, I imagine your Legend has something similar, but I cannot find any information on how it operates.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.