SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Were all P228 completely manufacture in Germany with triple serial numbers ?
Or
Were some distributed with german frames and american slides ?

EDITDisregard this post. Got my answer via e-mail. Thanks Mr. X

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
19,525 Posts
The machines to make stamped steel slides were never brought to the US. SIGArms (SIG USA) has only made milled stainless steel slides.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have one with the German slide made in Exeter, build date of 2013.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, first post here:

I have a P228 with folded slide and it says on the frame "Frame made in Germany". Does this mean the old style folded slide is made in Germany as well?

Never did understand this. It has no German proof marks so I'm assuming the parts were sent to Exeter and assembled there.

·
Registered
55,918 Posts
Hi, first post here:

I have a P228 with folded slide and it says on the frame "Frame made in Germany". Does this mean the old style folded slide is made in Germany as well?

Never did understand this. It has no German proof marks so I'm assuming the parts were sent to Exeter and assembled there.
yes, the slide was made in germany but 228 was assembled in the us.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was late to the Sig party but at least I got it.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Hi, first post here:

Correct. All 228s were manufactured in Germany, but some were assembled elsewhere, such as Switzerland or the US.

Reactions: FLASIG and bearone2

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Actually, for the P228s that were Swiss police, they were made, assembled, and proof tested in Germany. They were subsequently proofed again in Switzerland. That's why you see both German and Swiss proof marks on these P228s.

The "Montage Suisse" P225s, however, were truly assembled and proofed in Switzwerland. That what "montage" means. These have no German proof marks, only the Swiss one, the reverse "B" stuck to the "P".

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Also, I believe there may have been batches of later P228s that used U.S. made P229 frames, but 12131 can correct me on that if I am wrong. However, as mentioned before, all standard production P228 slides (with the exception of two prototypes or until SIG makes an all stainless P228 ;)) are made from stamped carbon steel, which were only made in Germany. The last P228s I have seen didn't even have "Made in Germany" on their slides even though that is where the slides were made.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Also, I believe there may have been batches of later P228s that used U.S. made P229 frames, but 12131 can correct me on that if I am wrong. However, as mentioned before, all standard production P228 slides (with the exception of two prototypes or until SIG makes an all stainless P228 ;)) are made from stamped carbon steel, which were only made in Germany. The last P228s I have seen didn't even have "Made in Germany" on their slides even though that is where the slides were made.
If you're talking about the 229-1 frame, then no. All factory original P228s use the old P228/P229 frame, whether the frame was German made or US made, with one exception.

And that exception is the stainless frame P228s that were special ordered in Germany and imported by Afton Arms in 2 batches (in 2012 and 2013). It is estimated that there are 30 (20 in the 1st batch and 10 in the second) of these floating around in the US. The frame is the "229-1" one that can actually accommodate the 229-1 mag, although the guns were shipped with the old style P228 mags.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If you're talking about the 229-1 frame, then no. All factory original P228s use the old P228/P229 frame, whether the frame was German made or US made, with one exception.

And that exception is the stainless frame P228s that were special ordered in Germany and imported by Afton Arms in 2 batches (in 2012 and 2013). It is estimated that there are 30 (20 in the 1st batch and 10 in the second) of these floating around in the US. The frame is the "229-1" one that can actually accommodate the 229-1 mag, although the guns were shipped with the old style P228 mags.
No, I was talking about the old 13rd 9mm P228/P229 frames that I guess became the pre-P229-1 9mm P229 frames after the P228 was "discontinued" or uncatalogued. I was also wondering about the P229 SAS framed P228. Were any of those P228 frames made in Exeter?

I guess there were some P228s with U.S. made frames because I forgot that the last batch of them had U.S. P229 type serial number prefixes like "AxU......"

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
No, I was talking about the old 13rd 9mm P228/P229 frames that I guess became the pre-P229-1 9mm P229 frames after the P228 was "discontinued" or uncatalogued. I was also wondering about the P229 SAS framed P228. Were any of those P228 frames made in Exeter?
Since we're not privvy to the inner working at SIG, we'll have to go by what we see on the outside.

1- Whether the old frames were P228 or P229 (9) is irrelevant, as they are identical.
2- If the frame is not marked "Frame Made In Germany", or if it doesn't have "DE", or if it's not one with the German proof mark, then it's ok, imho, to assume it was made at SIG USA.
3- The SAS frame P228s were made in Germany, assembled in SIG USA. If you look at all available online pics of the SAS frame P228, they all have "Frame Made In Germany" and "DE".

I guess there were some P228s with U.S. made frames because I forgot that the last batch of them had U.S. P229 type serial number prefixes like "AxU......"
Yes, as mentioned above.
AHU, AJU, and AKU-prefixed P228s from late 2012 to early 2013 were all Exeter frame.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine is an AHU serial# with no German markings and the German slide.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
^^^^ Yes, plenty of that floating around. And the "P228" rollmark is on the left side of the slide.

·
Registered
430 Posts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts