SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this COVID pandemic all sorts of odd (to me in So.Flo) seem to be coming out of collector safes and manufacturer's dead stock to cash in on the rising prices.

Most recently a nitron P-226 elite SAO (not legion or SS) came up for sale and other than the frame safety/SAO it seems rather unremarkable.

I've read very few reviews possibly because it was not a hot seller. Any owners (current or past) have info on them?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was recently thinking the exact same thing except I was thinking gun store safes. Brand new, in box product. My recent factory new P229 Enhanced Elite purchase just a few weeks ago. Was thinking where the heck did the gun store dig this discontinued new gun out of? Especially considering the last year was crazy for gun sales often times with gun store shelves empty. Would love to know the back story on some of these occurrences.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe you saw this one, that I recently purchased on Gun Broker? These were offered by Sig in very limited quantities and it's certainly my favorite of the traditional P2__ series pistols. The trigger is outstanding, my preferred method of carry is SAO "Condition 1" (cocked and locked). Although I love my Browning designed 1911 and P35 type pistols, the Sig P226 and P220 SAO designs offer the advantage of having an improved design that allows the user to operate the slide with the safety engaged. I've fired enough rounds through my P226R SAO Elite to feel it feeds, fires, and ejects rounds as dependably as all the other P226 pistols I own and it certainly has proven to be the most accurate one that I own. I'd rather have the Nitron finish on my Elite, than the finish offered on the SAO P226Rs in the Legion series and since my favorite sights are the Trijicon HD HRs, I've replaced the standard Sigs with those. Because of my personal preferences, I've also replaced the OEM grips with a set of Hogue "Extreme" series G10s, with checkered panels. In short, IMHO the P226R SAO Elite was/is my "Grail" gun and I'm glad I had the opportunity to find and acquire one.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yup that's it except IIRC the one I saw has the nitron finish. The price is a bit steep at just over $1200 after taxes but I'm seriously considering it. Like you I'd have different preferences most likely no rail, but the designers didn't ask my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
I've heard the these have a trigger that's a bit spongier overall than on a Legion...like with more takeup and a longer break with more creep. Can anyone shed some light on that? When I first got my Legion SAO, I was hoping I could replace the flat trigger with one from these, but then was told its was a different linkage entirely or something.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I saw was a bit on the "spongy" side, If I bought it I'd install an SRT in it, that is if the SRT will work with it. I have not handled a legion so I cannot compare but it's nothing like my X5.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
If you mean a P226 X5 then yeah, that's the cream of the crop.

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
I was recently thinking the exact same thing except I was thinking gun store safes. Brand new, in box product. My recent factory new P229 Enhanced Elite purchase just a few weeks ago. Was thinking where the heck did the gun store dig this discontinued new gun out of? Especially considering the last year was crazy for gun sales often times with gun store shelves empty. Would love to know the back story on some of these occurrences.
I purchased on off of GB back in April build date 01/2019 9MM Nice Gun.

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Thanks. Yup that's it except IIRC the one I saw has the nitron finish. The price is a bit steep at just over $1200 after taxes but I'm seriously considering it. Like you I'd have different preferences most likely no rail, but the designers didn't ask my opinion.
Kind of High MSRP was $1256.00 I paid $770.00 for mine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I’ve had a P226 Elite RX SAO for a while now, it is identical internally to the P226 Legion, has all the frame features of the legion as well (except the needless checkering on the bottom of the trigger guard), with a superior finish, and mine had a better trigger out of the box than my P229 SAO Legion.

Both have GG triggers in them now, which was a large improvement. As good as any custom 1911 in terms of trigger action.

The Elite pistols give you everything good about a Legion, without the weak finish. Shame they discontinued them.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The SRT is only effective in the DA/SA trigger mechanism, but one of these Gray Guns dual adjustable triggers would tune up P226 SAO nicely:

p-series-sao-dual-adjustable-straight-trigger
Actually there are SAO-specific SRT parts and not all SAO models have included them. With the exception of the 10mm SAO Legion P220, the other Legion SAO models have these SRT parts. I believe that the 226 Elite SAO batch that was produced in early 2019 (with G10’s) also included the parts. I’m not sure about the earlier 226 Elite SAO’s, that usually wore polymer grips.

There was a recent post from Rob Levinson herein noting that Sig was now making it easier to acquire SAO-specific parts.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually there are SAO-specific SRT parts and not all SAO models have included them. With the exception of the 10mm SAO Legion P220, the other Legion SAO models have these SRT parts. I believe that the 226 Elite SAO batch that was produced in early 2019 (with G10’s) also included the parts. I’m not sure about the earlier 226 Elite SAO’s, that usually wore polymer grips.

There was a recent post from Rob Levinson herein noting that Sig was now making it easier to acquire SAO-specific parts.
Thanks all for your replies, and Slowmo... the NIB sample in the LGS near me does not have an SRT in it. I wrote Sig about the SRT for the polymer version, as well as grip interchangeability between other SAO models and so far no reply.

I'm one that dislikes the black polymer utilitarian grips of Sig, Beretta and others, and generally replace them. I'd have steel lined rubber, or aluminum before plastic, so in that sense replacement grip unavailability is "generally" a deal breaker for me especially in this case where I already have a similarly designed but up level X5 with the OEM plastic grips replaced with wood a distant memory :)

So I don't think the 226 SAO I found is going to fly off the shelf anytime soon so I'll hold off and wait for a reply from Sig before making any decision.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Depends on your SAOs date of manufacture, I picked up 2 in 2020, the first, an E26R-9-BSE-SAO with a birthdate of 26 March 2019, and a 226BR-22-BAS-SAO from 7 January 2020 only 240 units newer. Whether the entire range of 240 units were all SAOs is of course unknown.

These do have a SAOs version of the Short Reset Trigger, which uses the same Sear as the DA/SA version, but a different Safety Lever. The OEM Trigger isn't the Legions, but I replaced both of mine, one with a Gray Guns Dual Adjustable Straight Trigger, and the other with the Armory Craft version, dually adjustable too.

By their design with the cross bolt connecting the left and right Safety levers, there has to be some take up of the trigger, due to the pivoting arc of the cross bolt into the "notch" of the Trigger Bar.

I've swapped slides, and put the RX slide on the Elite SAO, and the Elite's slide on the .22 SAOs lower...
DSCN2352_LI.jpg

DSCN2361_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
US Army Veteran
1,068 Posts
I replaced both of mine, one with a Gray Guns Dual Adjustable Straight Trigger, and the other with the Armory Craft version, dually adjustable too.
I'm wondering if you have come to any conclusions about the triggers? Have you developed a preference?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,004 Posts
I'm wondering if you have come to any conclusions about the triggers? Have you developed a preference?
Adjustability, they are on par, as well as their fit, and finish. I only dislike the serrations on the Armory Craft unit, as I initially felt the SAO short trigger travel, wouldn't create an issue, but it does, with longer range sessions.

As I've noted before, the 1911s I have with serrated triggers, have never been an issue. But from my earlier days with both revolvers, and my early experiences with German Sigs, and their serrated Triggers, irritated me to no end.

Reactions: jkallner

·
Premium Member
US Army Veteran
1,068 Posts
Adjustability, they are on par, as well as their fit, and finish. I only dislike the serrations on the Armory Craft unit, as I initially felt the SAO short trigger travel, wouldn't create an issue, but it does, with longer range sessions.

As I've noted before, the 1911s I have with serrated triggers, have never been an issue. But from my earlier days with both revolvers, and my early experiences with German Sigs, and their serrated Triggers, irritated me to no end.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your analysis. I used to favor serrated triggers, but not so much any more - go figure. I have 2 Armory Craft triggers, one for a 225a1 and one for the 365 and I prefer the smooth surfaced 365 trigger over the serrated 225a1 trigger. Perhaps our finger tips get more sensitive as we age, I don't know, but I can remember a time when I'd turn my nose up to smooth triggers that I'd pay a premium to have now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts