SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I built my own AR15 and I consider that project to be - for anybody - one of the great bargains in firearms. If you do your homework, and shop carefully, you end up with an absolutely world class semi auto carbine that can make even a middle-aged hack like me seem like a pretty good shot. For a lot less than an off the rack gun.

Next I researched the heck out of 9 mm semi auto pistols and settled on Sig SP2022 in 9mm, which I purchased for $370, shipped and FFL paid. I honestly could not ask for a sweeter shooting pistol.

So what else is out there in the way of high values in firearms? I'm not talking about rock bottom prices, because usually cheap means cheap in the worst sense. I'm also not talking about a one-time sale price bargain where someone coming to this thread 6 months from now will say "Lucky him, but that doesn't help me."

I'm talking about honest-to-gosh high quality guns that day-in, day-out, are just worth a lot more than they sell for. I'm looking for my next high glory- ratio firearm purchase.

I'm particularly interested in a .22lr auto rifle, a 12 gauge home defense shotgun and a compact (or subcompact) 9mm suitable for concealed carry. But I want to open this up to anyone who feels they've spotted a true bargain in firearms. I think this thread should even include firearms accessories, like optics or slings or magazines.

Besides a home built AR and the Sig SP2022, what's out there in terms of true firearms bargains?

·
Registered
405 Posts
So, I built my own AR15 and I consider that project to be - for anybody - one of the great bargains in firearms. If you do your homework, and shop carefully, you end up with an absolutely world class semi auto carbine that can make even a middle-aged hack like me seem like a pretty good shot. For a lot less than an off the rack gun.

Next I researched the heck out of 9 mm semi auto pistols and settled on Sig SP2022 in 9mm, which I purchased for $370, shipped and FFL paid. I honestly could not ask for a sweeter shooting pistol.

So what else is out there in the way of high values in firearms? I'm not talking about rock bottom prices, because usually cheap means cheap in the worst sense. I'm also not talking about a one-time sale price bargain where someone coming to this thread 6 months from now will say "Lucky him, but that doesn't help me."

I'm talking about honest-to-gosh high quality guns that day-in, day-out, are just worth a lot more than they sell for. I'm looking for my next high glory- ratio firearm purchase.

I'm particularly interested in a .22lr auto rifle, a 12 gauge home defense shotgun and a compact (or subcompact) 9mm suitable for concealed carry. But I want to open this up to anyone who feels they've spotted a true bargain in firearms. I think this thread should even include firearms accessories, like optics or slings or magazines.

Besides a home built AR and the Sig SP2022, what's out there in terms of true firearms bargains?
22 Rifle - Marlin 795. Can be had for around $100, and usually go on sale around Christmas. Micro-groove rifling makes it very accurate (I use my Marlin 60 in competition) and I think they have 15rd mags out for it now.

12 Gauge - H&R Pardner pump. Roughly an 870 clone made in China, but has better metallurgy. No complaints from people. If you are looking for made in the USA, look for a used Winchester 1200 or 1300.

9mm Subcompact - Bersa Thunder 9 or BP9CC.

I would also rate Mosin Nagants as a good deal firearm. I know they've always been cheap, but where else are you going to get a high-powered centerfire rifle nowadays for $100?

·
Registered
304 Posts
While I don't currently own one....
The CZ line up of pistols have got to be one of the best dollar-to-quality bargains in the world!

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
IMO the Walther PPQ fits that category easily though they are a little more expensive and harder to find these days. I got mine last fall for $489 shipped for such a high quality and performing German made and proofed pistol. If you go to Bud's you will see that the Walther PPQ has stunning ratings from everyone who has left a rating for it.

I hear in Europe that the Walther PPQ is much more expensive priced about the same as HKs.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
It may vary some among individual pistols, but my little Bersa Thunder .380 has been a flawless performer for nearly five years. Paid less than $250 for it.

'Course, the .380 has its limitations, and ammo runs high.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My little Kel Tec .380 is also surprising the heck out of me. Of course, I picked it up as a trade sweetener and did not pay retail.
Little F'er likes JHPs more than it does cheap ball. And its not at all bad at 7 yards.

I really wish S&W would get some of their compact "Shield" models in 9 and 40 on the store shelves. I've got one order ... sheesh, what's up with the delay?

·
Registered
204 Posts
like 1911's?
metro arms american classic II
less than half the price of my kimber and a tack driver
an absolute bargin imo
my brother-in-law and his daughter shot mine and went the next day and bought their own

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have two .380's both Sigs. I absolutely love the P238, shoots accurate hides easy and the ammo made now makes it a good self defense handgun. I also have a 232 which I shoot at the range and it too shoots well. Yes good ammo is expensive, I use corbon or Hornady in mine but shoot American Eagle, Winchester at the range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some time back I was looking for a disposable gun to carry while on a contract assignment in a large town. There was a Colt .38 snubbie with all the finish worn off in an LGS...off-duty holster wear, but it was cheap, and has never, ever failed to go bang. Small grip, so it is a pain to fire, but for small concealed power it can't be beat.

Also been ages since I got my Seecamp .25, but they have a strong cult following.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The S&W M&P 15-22 goes $450. I've seen it ripped for being too expensive for a .22LR.
Wrong, I say. It's a keep-running, accurate and fun little beast. Saw one at a steel challenge for kids eat up about 5,000 rounds in three days with hardly a bobble. I love mine.
And it's way less-expensive to practice a lot with than is the standard AR15. I love 5.56, but it's a bit costly to feed heartily.

·
Registered
937 Posts
22 Rifle - Marlin 795. Can be had for around $100, and usually go on sale around Christmas. Micro-groove rifling makes it very accurate (I use my Marlin 60 in competition) and I think they have 15rd mags out for it now.

12 Gauge - H&R Pardner pump. Roughly an 870 clone made in China, but has better metallurgy. No complaints from people. If you are looking for made in the USA, look for a used Winchester 1200 or 1300.

9mm Subcompact - Bersa Thunder 9 or BP9CC.

I would also rate Mosin Nagants as a good deal firearm. I know they've always been cheap, but where else are you going to get a high-powered centerfire rifle nowadays for $100?
What do you think of that Savage synthetic-stocked bolt rifle in 22LR and 22 mag? Dick's has them near me at $250, w/scope. The ones I've shot to date have been pretty dang neat for the buck. I'm thinking of getting a 22 mag. I'm a glutton for punishment ... another caliber to feed!

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you don't mind the appearance, some of the newest Sigs can be had at a real bargain. A great example is the Diamond Plate disaster guns. Sig is begging distributors/dealers to take them because....no one wants to buy them. You can buy a NIB P239DP on GB right now, from a few dealers, for $610. These guns will likely shoot and perform just as well as the others, they just won't look as good doing it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The S&W M&P 15-22 goes $450. I've seen it ripped for being too expensive for a .22LR.
Wrong, I say. It's a keep-running, accurate and fun little beast. Saw one at a steel challenge for kids eat up about 5,000 rounds in three days with hardly a bobble. I love mine.
And it's way less-expensive to practice a lot with than is the standard AR15. I love 5.56, but it's a bit costly to feed heartily.

The amazing thing is that when all is said and done, you have to spend almost that much to get a dedicated .22LR AR upper of similar quality. I got my AR with the expectation that I'd soon buy a .22LR upper for training and fun shooting.

But with the M&P 15-22 selling for $450, I just can't justify spending $300 - 400 on half a gun. :huh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.