SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Opinions of the p320 RX

I know it's a Sig forum, and opinions will be biased, but I'm interested in them.

I had a 226 which I loved, but I fell on hard times, and it had to go.

I have since gotten back into shooting, and with my old eyes I love Red Dots.

I have an M&P 9L Performance center, with an Apex trigger, and a Trijicon RM06, that I shoot very well (for me). I carry an M&P Shield 9 with a Jpoint circle dot, which I also shoot very well (for me).

I handled the P320 RX at the LGS, and it feels great and seems very well made (being a sig, I would expect nothing less). I am thinking about swapping out my M&P and going to the P320, any thoughts, opinions, or advice?

Thanks

· Registered
741 Posts
I have a full size P320RX that I installed a Grayguns PELT trigger in and I really like it. I shoot it almost as well as my P226RX SAO, some days even better. With SIG 21 round mags, the Romeo, nice trigger and simple operation I think it has the potential of being the perfect night stand gun. SIGs Romeo set up, with the co-witnessed sights and dovetailed slide is a winning combination IMHO. They did it right.

· Registered
1,524 Posts
I love my 320c RX. Had for just over 3 weeks and it's been awesome. I prefer it over the gold standard rmr because you view through the glass is larger. I guess we'll see over time how durable it is but so far it's been good. Easy to adjust if needed, motion sensor so you don't have to turn it off, and 5 brightness settings.

This past weekend shooting at 25 yards at 6 inch steel and hitting fairly consistent with just my weak hand. Never would happen with my iron sites, never, hard enough hitting two handed.

Imho sig has blown away the completion for striker fired guns. Excellent trigger, excellent Ergo's, excellent shooter, and mine has been flawlesss with over 3500 rounds. The optionality you get is just fantastic to be able to configure whatever suits your needs. I love using my rx slide on my sub compact.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I'm fresh out of the blocks with my P320 RX. It's full size but I prefer full size guns.
Mine is stock without any trigger etc changes. I'm just way happy with this gun. The take down lever is a bit on the stiff side but even it's coming around. I'm shooting better with this gun than my C3. My old eyes need all the help they can get and the red dot system seems to be helping.

This is my first red dot system on a pistol so I'm not a source for how it compares to others. I do think it's quality installed and quality made. The Romeo 1 is very easy to use and I think the 3 moa is right for me. I definitely think it's a shooting tool and I'm way happy I purchased one.

I own a number of Sigs and you won't be disappointed with the P320 quality. I have had zero failures and the trigger and reset is Sig quality. My mags hold 17 rounds but number 17 is tough to insert. I'm sure it will get easier as time passes like they all do.
The modular trigger system is a work of art and can be removed from the polymer without a tool. I love the options that presents.

To sum up.. I'd buy again without a second thought. I love this gun. I enjoy shooting it so much that I purchased me up some leather for carry. I'm trying to figure out just how I might sneak a compact version past my wife. :)

· Registered
59 Posts
I have a P226 Enhanced Elite and I loved shooting it and it shot good tight groups at ten yards. Perfect balance, great trigger. After I got rid of my Glock Gen 3 17, I said I was done with polymer frame hand guns. Then the P320 RX came along......I had been curious about a hand gun with an optic, had the chance to get my hands on one in a gun store, it just felt right. Then I read about the modularity and all that could be changed, I figured how can I lose, if I don't like it.....they way they are selling on Gun Broker, I could always get my money back. So I bought a full size in 9mm. My first range trip was eye opening once I got the Romeo 1 dialed in....the gun just shoots stupid accurate. I said in another post it almost feels like cheating. You put the red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. No focus on the front sight, blurred target, you look at the target move the red dot to the point you want to hit, and squeeze the trigger. Its almost like magic.LOL The triggers out of the box are a little stiff....about 7 lbs, I shot about 250 rounds before I changed it to a Gray Guns Trigger, which lowers the pull to around 5 lbs, that only enhances the accuracy. Don't get me wrong when I don't use good trigger control the POI isn't where I was aiming. You can miss with it. But the shots are very repeatable.
If their is a negative it would be......I am buying a lot more 9mm bullets. I have to force myself to shoot my other guns with iron sights. Its really that much fun......for me.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, please keep it coming.

I'm totally sold on Red Dots I've been shooting with them for about 6 months now, and with my eyes I am totally sold. I sent my carry Shield out and had the slide milled and won't be without.

Question on the swapping. If I go for the full size, I don't see how I could swap for different grip? Wouldn't the slide and barrel be too large for anything else? Or something I'm missing?

· Registered
3 Posts
I brought my 320Rx FS out for the first time last weekend. This is the first handgun I've owned with a red dot and it takes some getting used to. I think I need to put some more rounds down range but other than that I like it

· Registered
741 Posts

I'm totally sold on Red Dots I've been shooting with them for about 6 months now, and with my eyes I am totally sold. I sent my carry Shield out and had the slide milled and won't be without.

Question on the swapping. If I go for the full size, I don't see how I could swap for different grip? Wouldn't the slide and barrel be too large for anything else? Or something I'm missing?
The slide may hang off the grip frame and there may be a gap over the dust cover, but the pistol will work fine. Remember the FCU between SC, compact, carry and full size is all the same, and the rails are identical.

· Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Grabbed from Wiki:

A key feature of the pistol is its modular design. The main module of the P320 is an internal stainless steel frame fire control unit, which consists of the integrated fire control group (trigger, striker and all necessary linkage and springs), ambidextrous slide release (one on each side of the pistol), ejector and four slide rails. This steel receiver unit is used in every P320 grip module, top end, and chambering combination and is inserted into the grip frame module and held in place by the axis pin of the disassembly lever. The firearm's serial number is on the fire control unit instead of the grip module. The fire control unit allows the operator to interchange differently-sized slide assembly or top end modules and polymer grip frame modules and trigger shoes and (limited) chambering conversions to adapt the gun to the individual user and address different needs.

My additions: The trigger/firing module holds the serial number. It is the gun. Everything else can be purchased online or at your local dealer and you can mod up your gun yourself. No need for a FFL or anything. Nothing you will purchase is a gun.
I can buy myself a different polymer, barrel and slide online and have a compact and change it back to a full size on a whim.

I like the gun so much that I want both guns lol.

· Registered
160 Posts

I've run several mags through my full-size RX on my small sub frame with no issues

· Registered
1,524 Posts

Pulled of internet. First pic is the full size on sc frame, second is full size on compact. If you look at my original post #3, it's one fcu with compact slide RX on the compact, and then the compact slide on th sc. One fcu, 2 grip modules.

Attachments

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info and feedback.

I did some homework and I know how it works, with the FCU being the gun and the rest modular and interchangeable. I just wasn't sure how well it woked when interchanging. I was thinking the full size, and then a smaller polymer for carry, but with the guide rod exposed, that wouldn't be a good idea. I may just stay with my M&P shield for carry, and the P320 RX for range. Probably makes more sense anyway since I would like to lighten up the trigger for the range but not for carry.

I'm surprised they don't make a single stack version for carry...probably bite deep into Shield and XDS sales

· Registered
1,524 Posts
Thanks for the info and feedback.

I did some homework and I know how it works, with the FCU being the gun and the rest modular and interchangeable. I just wasn't sure how well it woked when interchanging. I was thinking the full size, and then a smaller polymer for carry, but with the guide rod exposed, that wouldn't be a good idea. I may just stay with my M&P shield for carry, and the P320 RX for range. Probably makes more sense anyway since I would like to lighten up the trigger for the range but not for carry.

I'm surprised they don't make a single stack version for carry...probably bite deep into Shield and XDS sales
The 320 compact RX will give you options to use all grip modules and different sizes. It is the perfect size to take advantage of all the modularity of the 320. Really easy to get a full size grip module if you like a full size, but can turn into a sweet subcompact as well.

If you compare the size of the shield and the 320sc at least for the grip length they are the same and you get 5 more rounds. Granted the shield is thinner and a little lighter but the sc is extremely easy to conceal. Shield is a very solid single stack option and almost got one a few times but the 320sc is a much better shooter imo and gives you a great deal of more options and flexibility, you can get pretty limited with the shield or just a single stack. But I get the utility and attraction of single stacks, just to limiting for me in general.

· Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up a P320 RX full size today. I think I was lucky o find one in stock. Put about 500 flawless rounds down range. What was going to be the last magazine, the slide failed to stay open on the last shot. I loaded 1 round ten times and couldn't duplicate, so only once, and that was after 500 rounds.

I ordered the PELT Flat Trigger kit and will install when it arrives. I have the Apex in my M&P, and got spoiled with the sub 4lb pull.

The Sig feels much tighter, and better made than my M&P. In my pistol rest bullets were going in the same hole, where the M&P would be an inch group. Standing with no rest I don't shoot the SIG as well as the M&P yet, but towards the end of the session, I was getting much closer. I was surprised that I didn't seem to have any adjustment time for the red dot with the higher bore axis, pulled it up and it was right there every time. I have the Trijicon on my M&P and the Romeo is a little larger window...I'm sure that helps.

Very nice gun. I know I shoot pretty fast, my M&P take down lever heats up quite a bit. I thought that would be gone, but the SIG does it also. I think the take down levers act like a geat sink, and being in polymer they hang on to the heat. What can I say, as soon as it's back on target I shoot again, :)

I just returned so I haven't cleaned it yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.