SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize upfront for the time investment in this, but I wanted other folks opinions on this.

So basically this guy gets some 10mm reloads from a company. The cases are all splitting. He contacts them and is not pleased with their service, etc. Eventually the send him new ammo and he makes a second video.

The thing is apparently all the first split ammo was run through his Highpoint. The second batch he runs through 5 different firearms (on of which is a P220). No splits so he's like "this ammo is better!" but all the cases from his HiPoint and Vector look terrible. The cases from his Glock look not great. Cases from his P220 beautiful (of course). I immediately thought I would have liked to have seen the first batch of ammo run through his P220. I have a sneaking suspicion it would have been fine.

Anyone else think perhaps the first batch of ammo was perhaps subpar but made worse by being run through a junk firearm that apparently warps brass under better circumstances as well?

I'm not saying all HiPoints are junk (or Vectors or whatever else he's using) what I am saying is that if a firearm is deforming brass that badly isn't it a sign something is likely not correct with the firearm itself?

·
Banned
89 Posts
It is the firearm. Looking at the second video and results is pretty much solid assessment. It appears to be junked in the HiPoint firearm and Kriss Vector.

I was just looking at LAX this morning via ammoseek.com for 10mm. Not intentionally looking for LAX but their price point was good. Looking to shoot a Springfield and Sig models.

I am very iffy and have not ordered.

mentioned in first video "the older I get the less tolerant I get of poor customer service". I could have easily quoted myself on that.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Unsupported chambers will bulge cases.
A supported chamber w/ too much pressure the case web/head would result in incipient case head separation.

To much pressure will bulge & blow/crack case webs in oversize/unsupported chambers.
Multiple use work hardened brass has the same issues.

The primer/pocket is the pressure relief valve.

P220 chamber is fully supported-
IF an over pressure round is fired(+37,500psi)
The pressure will flatten the primer radius & attempt to push the firing pin strike back into the breech face.
If the pressure is successful it will push firing pin strike to an extrusion back into the slide eventually burning the firing pin tip & depositing said extrusion in the slide locking up the firing pin.

·
Registered
21,622 Posts
The way the cases are split along their sides, in some instances all the way to the mouth, is clear evidence to me that the chamber diameter was overbored. It is too large and the barrels should be replaced.

·
Registered
21,622 Posts
I've never purchased any of LAX's in-house brand ammo, but I don't recall ever reading anything but good stuff about it. They sell both reloads and new/fresh ammo under their brand name. From what I recall, they have a great commercial loading system.

I have purchased huge quantities of name brand ammo from them over the years (just not theirs) and their service has been impeccable.

His "test methods" are questionable in this case.

·
Registered
821 Posts
LAX doesnt load them that hot any way, and the way they are cracked looks like either they had been loaded a bunch of times (not likely for that many failures) or like others said chamber being oversized allowing the brass to over-expand.

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
A LGS/indoor range a couple of miles from me has used LAX ammo for their in house range ammo for sale to their customers for around 8 to 10 years at this point. They've never had a problem with it and I think they'd mention it to me or another one of their friends and I'd have heard of it.

I'll go with oversized chamber.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Hmmm... I have an ammo box of their NEW 180gr 10mm. Paid $155 +tax back in 2017. I see it's now $250 and OOS.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mentioned in first video "the older I get the less tolerant I get of poor customer service". I could have easily quoted myself on that.
I agree with that. However, there should also be some responsibility on his part. The guy seems really reasonable, actually (he isn't just bad mouthing LAX or any such nonsense). But it doesn't seem like he ever considered his firearm(s) may be less than ideal test units.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only purchased and used 1,000 9mm and 1,000 40 S&W reloads from LAX, but none of them caused me any reason for concern. Small sample size, yes, but I agree with others, the delivery system is the issue, not the ammo.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've run probably 5/6k rounds of 9mm and 10mm from LAX, mix of new and reload, and nary an issue. Got good old Glock smiles on the 10mm until I changed barrels to one with a fully supported chamber (10mm's good to reload).

I'm in the its-the-gun-not-the-ammo-crowd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts