SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deep into my SIG addiction, having bought my first two recently. A P226 and a P938. Now I'm exploring getting a P229 Legion. I've been a confirmed Glock guy for more than a decade but it's time to expand my horizons. I'm still debating my choice of a first 10mm and I'm no closer to deciding than I was a month ago. I'm not in a rush so I'm guessing I'll wait until something in particular inspires me. Then I'll make a completely counter-intuitive and impulsive purchase. I have a yen for a S&W 500 Magnum revolver after borrowing and shooting my buddy's. Everybody should have at least one ridiculous hand canon.

I recently became intrigued with the idea of getting another .45, something with more capacity than my Cold Combat Commander. I happened upon some folks at the range shooting an FN Herstal FNX-45T and it struck me as a butt-ugly weapon. At first, that is. But the more I thought about it and looked into it the more I began to warm to the FN. I know FN makes quality rifles, particularly the FAL, so perhaps their pistols are of similar quality. Tomorrow I'm taking my P938 to the range to give it a go with new E2 grips so I'll see if they have an FN pistol to rent.

Meanwhile, any of you gents have experience with the FNX-45T? Comparisons welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Literally just bought mine last weekend. First FN I've ever owned but yeah they grow on you pretty quick. I'm leaving some rounds in the mag to condition those springs and will be taking her out next weekend sometime. Really nice package with the range bag, mags, optic plates, threaded barrel, etc. I might convert it to the 460 rowland chambering at some point. The only thing people complain about is the agressive stipling on the receiver module. Personally I'm fine with it but many just throw some talon grips over it.

Reactions: BajaJames and ras47

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Meanwhile, any of you gents have experience with the FNX-45T? Comparisons welcome.
The FNX-45T is an excellent gun and a fine suppressor host, and certainly the 15-round mag makes it a standout in the 45 world. The closest competitor is the H&K USP45 Tactical, and I prefer that because of the aggressive grip texture and the match trigger. You can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
23,652 Posts
If you want a suppressor host, or put an optic on it, the Tactical is the way to go.
I have the standard in black over "FDE". I never had to keep the mags preloaded for spring issues. Mine have easily loaded to max of 15 rounds and the gun has never even had a hiccup with any FMJ or JHP I've ever fed it, including my preferred defense load, Federal Tactical HST 230gr +P.

I bought it shortly after giving up on a double stack .45 1911, and I've been very pleased with the FNX-45's performance.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

Reactions: ras47

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm deep into my SIG addiction, having bought my first two recently. A P226 and a P938. Now I'm exploring getting a P229 Legion. I've been a confirmed Glock guy for more than a decade but it's time to expand my horizons. I'm still debating my choice of a first 10mm and I'm no closer to deciding than I was a month ago. I'm not in a rush so I'm guessing I'll wait until something in particular inspires me. Then I'll make a completely counter-intuitive and impulsive purchase. I have a yen for a S&W 500 Magnum revolver after borrowing and shooting my buddy's. Everybody should have at least one ridiculous hand canon.

I recently became intrigued with the idea of getting another .45, something with more capacity than my Cold Combat Commander. I happened upon some folks at the range shooting an FN Herstal FNX-45T and it struck me as a butt-ugly weapon. At first, that is. But the more I thought about it and looked into it the more I began to warm to the FN. I know FN makes quality rifles, particularly the FAL, so perhaps their pistols are of similar quality. Tomorrow I'm taking my P938 to the range to give it a go with new E2 grips so I'll see if they have an FN pistol to rent.

FN has the worse factory triggers even worse than Glocks. Also the magazines have a cheap feel and they are overrated and guns are over priced.

Had the FN57 loved it until slide started rusting and FNUSA told me it was not covered under warranty because environment so much for battle proven.

Yes I did keep it oiled the slide that is and still rusted

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts

The FN/ fnx45 is very accurate very reliable and low recoil. The trigger complaints are very exaggerated, sure they could use a little work, but they're not extremely awful or other hyperbolic descriptive complaints! Some people find a gun with the perfect trigger, or build a gun with a perfect trigger, and then nothing else ever lives up to that!

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Yeah, FNX-45T serves as our bedside gun, replacing G21. I tested P227T, G21 & HK45 for our hi-capacity 45 and FNX was the clear winner. Easy mount for RMR, good shooter with 15 - 25yd targets looking like my typical 10yd prints, very controllerable recoil and faster follow-on shots, great suppressor host with very little blow-back..
Air gun Road surface Machine gun Grass Trigger

FNX-45T @ 15yds
White Blue Line Font Engineering

FNX-45T @ 25yds
Revolver Air gun Kitchen utensil Trigger Machine gun

Glock G21 componentes on left, FNX-45T right
Wood Metalworking hand tool Pliers Tool Wire stripper

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Yeah, FNX-45T serves as our bedside gun, replacing G21. I tested P227T, G21 & HK45 for our hi-capacity 45 and FNX was the clear winner. Easy mount for RMR, good shooter with 15 - 25yd targets looking like my typical 10yd prints, very controllerable recoil and faster follow-on shots, great suppressor host with very little blow-back..
View attachment 468122
FNX-45T @ 15yds
View attachment 468123
FNX-45T @ 25yds
View attachment 468124
Glock G21 componentes on left, FNX-45T right
View attachment 468129

Cheers
Nice work, no complaints here either!
Blue Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Recreation

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very promising. No suppressors or 15-round magazines for me here in the great state of New Jersey. Liberalasspansies. Sounds like maybe with a little trigger work the FBX-45T can work for me. They're pricy but then quality is never cheap.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Right, FNX-45T with only 10 rounds wouldn't happen here either. SIG's P220, P227 or an HK45 are all very capable 10rd 45s..

Cheers

·
Registered
987 Posts

Unless you need an optic, or threaded barrel, go with the standard. Cost a lot less and is outstanding as well. If you want a rmr, or plan to shoot suppressed, you might as well go with the tac version. The threaded barrel and raised night sights are a great addition at the price. The pre cut slide is worth it by itself (time to find the right shop, cost to cut, shipping, etc) for the tactical in my opinion. A FNX 45 with an rmr siting on top is not something that anyone should disregard. Excellent pistols. Very accurate and soft shooting.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm avoiding optics (for now) and there is virtually no hope of getting a suppressor in NJ so the non-tactical version makes the most sense to me. Brings the price down to a more realistic number for me. (y)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm avoiding optics (for now) and there is virtually no hope of getting a suppressor in NJ so the non-tactical version makes the most sense to me. Brings the price down to a more realistic number for me. (y)
Standard 4.5" will do you just fine. Grab some trijicon HDs for it and some flat magazine baseplates from MGW to get a better right picture and shorten the overall grip length. You lose a round with the flat baseplates but it helps a little with the very long grip/magazine base that fnx 45 have. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts