SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/open-letter-to-nra

I think this qualifies as a "Gun Topic". NRA dis-invited USCCA from the Atlanta convention just a week or so before the convention with no real notice. This whole area of NRA competing in commercial ventures with established 2A companies bothers me and I wanted to share this open letter for thoughts and discussion here.

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Okay, so somehow the NRA competing with other organizations selling Insurance or similar things angers people who aren't in the business of selling insurance?

Why? Why in the world would someone who has "insurance" through someone else be mad because the NRA also sells insurance? That's like being mad about an Albertsons opening in your town because you prefer Safeway. That statement makes no sense at all.

Secondly, Marty Hayes says:

But, as far as actively recruiting members for an organization that is now competing head-to-head against my two companies, I will have to pass. In fact, on behalf of the Network, I have already pulled out of the recruiter program and will remain on the sidelines as long as the NRA continues down this path of competing directly against its very own members.

So he's saying that he can't stand competition and because of it, he's more concerned about making money off of peoples' fears of financial ruin than he is about supporting the only organization that really makes a difference in the 2A arena.

In other words, his biggest concern is making money, not living free.

I'm sorry, but he's way out of line. He's completely lost any respect I might have had for him.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To each their own. I see NRA as having fundamentally lost its way under LaPierre. They are not a 'for profit" business but a membership organization. All the advances in 2A issues in Georgia have been spearheaded by, and essentially won through the work of, our non-NRA local carry organization. But boy do I get emails from NRA crowing once we've won those battles here locally.

Add to that the fact that they treated USCCA inappropriately, and I am not affiliated with or a member of USCCA, and I will not donate to NRA until LaPierre is gone and they show they are taking a renewed interest in being a membership organization.

·
Registered
413 Posts
In a capitalist society competition is a way of life and most company's at the top of their game invite it. Sounds like the firearms academy of Seattle may be struggling just a bit so they are whining about competition.
Everything the National Rifle Association does competes with some other organization or service including police training, youth education, shooting competitions, etc...
Mr. Hayes if you're really good at a fair price you don't have anything to worry about

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I don't have or desire to have self defense insurance - - I'll continue to self insure.

As to a member "special interest" representative organization entering the commercial market so as to compete with it's members? I'd be miffed as well. On the one hand they are supported by the industry and people they represent. Such an organization typically has broad market recognition and thus a marketing advantage that has, in part, been paid for by some of the very people they would compete against. There is a "bite the hand that feeds you" element of betrayal going on here.

I have no gun in this fight. I'm not angry about it. It makes me think less, a lot less, of the NRA for doing this. They are putting their own financial interest ahead of that of some of their members. Top people at NRA are pulling down over a million a year in salaries and benefits . . . so it's not like they are hurting for money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have always thought the NRA was an advocacy group for the rights of gun owners and their main purpose was to fight for the enforcement of the 2nd amendment rights of all U. S. citizens. An advocacy group as such should not be in the business of selling anything, period. I've never been a big fan of La Pierre and this is just another nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
413 Posts
While I don't always agree with everything they do I'll always support them When almost every anti gun organization and Hollywood elite targets them specifically and by name they must be doing something right.
When Hillary was ask what enemy she was most proud of she said the NRA.so I guess I support them for the enemies they have made.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
While I don't always agree with everything they do I'll always support them When almost every anti gun organization and Hollywood elite targets them specifically and by name they must be doing something right.
When Hillary was ask what enemy she was most proud of she said the NRA.so I guess I support them for the enemies they have made.
It's a "swallow hard" and support them if that's the decision. NRA is hardly alone as an organization that goes the Jabba-the-Hutt route. AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots) has done the same. A shame that in a similar fashion, just like many politicians, those in charge so often become elitist and corrupted by money and power.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
It's a "swallow hard" and support them if that's the decision. NRA is hardly alone as an organization that goes the Jabba-the-Hutt route.
Kinda like the recent presidential election :lol:

Reactions: bumper and Bamm

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Exactly!!
Maybe not exactly - though close.

It's for sure wealth and power on one hand, and probable ego, prestige and deep seated insecurities on the other - (a typical Type A behavior often born of a perceived or actual lack of parental approval and support early on). There's some patriotism as well, certainly isn't in it for the power and wealth. Now if you were talking about the other side, patriotism isn't a factor as it's nonexistent.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Okay, so somehow the NRA competing with other organizations selling Insurance or similar things angers people who aren't in the business of selling insurance?

Why? Why in the world would someone who has "insurance" through someone else be mad because the NRA also sells insurance? That's like being mad about an Albertsons opening in your town because you prefer Safeway. That statement makes no sense at all.

Secondly, Marty Hayes says:

But, as far as actively recruiting members for an organization that is now competing head-to-head against my two companies, I will have to pass. In fact, on behalf of the Network, I have already pulled out of the recruiter program and will remain on the sidelines as long as the NRA continues down this path of competing directly against its very own members.

So he's saying that he can't stand competition and because of it, he's more concerned about making money off of peoples' fears of financial ruin than he is about supporting the only organization that really makes a difference in the 2A arena.

In other words, his biggest concern is making money, not living free.

I'm sorry, but he's way out of line. He's completely lost any respect I might have had for him.
Flash.
Your opinion of CCW insurance is very well known and I can appreciate your perspective. However, this is not the key issue.
The Key Issue here is that the NRA is offering a half baked offering with little or no liquidity behind it and is in Fear of actually having to put their money where the mouth sort of is.

NRA does NOT offer any Proactive assistance. It is all reactive to compensate After Trial. IF you are not convicted. While for independently wealthy people living in their own community who never travel, this is ideal, for other people who are not independently wealthy, but travel and don't have their lawyer's name in their wallet, this is NOT effective.

I like you, but your perspective is not applicable for all people.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
La Pierre is taking heat on this!!

A caller to John Gresham's "Gun Talk" was miffed at the NRA and Gresham agreed with him, basically saying the NRA should not be competing with it's membership, that it is wrong! I suspect a movement is afoot that will show the NRA just how much mud they are getting in the face on this one. I won't be surprised if they they are soon forced to do a reversal.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
La Pierre is taking heat on this!!

A caller to John Gresham's "Gun Talk" was miffed at the NRA and Gresham agreed with him, basically saying the NRA should not be competing with it's membership, that it is wrong! I suspect a movement is afoot that will show the NRA just how much mud they are getting in the face on this one. I won't be surprised if they they are soon forced to do a reversal.
Thanks for sharing. I've only gotten negative pushback on this topic on one of the forums I frequent. I got told that they don't tolerate any negativity toward NRA and if I want change to do so through NRA. Ha! I'm a Life Member of NRA myself and know that NRAs governing structure makes Byzantium look simple. Basically, we elect a figurehead every year to keep the plebes happy and quiet while the life-tenure bureaucrats with titles like VP actually hold the power and make the decisions, subject only to reversal by the very unwieldy board. The only time change happens in the NRA is from public backlash or change in the personnel of the key life-tenure staff.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
It's wise to read opposing viewpoints. This article is well written, an easy read, and while not anti-gun, is at the least a glancing blow to the NRA. It's from an ex-employee, so there may be some axe sharpening going on . . .and it was in the Washington Post, a decidedly left leaning rag. But please take a moment to read it . . . what do you think?

The NRA's Main Target? Its Members' Checkbooks.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
^It is worth the read. Laments points I've listened to others make for years now.

Mission creep comes to mind.

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
519 Posts
The more competition there is in the free market the better the outcome for the rest of us. Given the staggering numbers of CCW requests in the last year, I'll wager that CCW insurance will decrease across the board in the next few years.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
To each their own. I see NRA as having fundamentally lost its way under LaPierre. They are not a 'for profit" business but a membership organization. All the advances in 2A issues in Georgia have been spearheaded by, and essentially won through the work of, our non-NRA local carry organization. But boy do I get emails from NRA crowing once we've won those battles here locally.

Add to that the fact that they treated USCCA inappropriately, and I am not affiliated with or a member of USCCA, and I will not donate to NRA until LaPierre is gone and they show they are taking a renewed interest in being a membership organization.
Once the NRA stops promoting and advocating for federal gun laws I will take it more seriously, but until that time it seems to me to be working against itself. How can you promote the 2nd Amendment AND federal gun laws? The two directly oppose themselves.

Reactions: USMC6872
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.