SIG Talk banner

One of the two typical questions for my new pistol

725 9
I have saved you all the trouble of asking about a carry holster for my new P220. I ordered a Crossbreed Freedom Carry which is supposed to accommodate a heavier pistol in a number of positions. I am going to give carrying my new Sig a try even though it's heavier than my two other carry guns.

What I really wanted to ask was the second typical question. Is there any ammo that won't work well with this pistol? I usually use Winchester target ammo that my son can get at a discount where he works. I have a box of Remington Golden Saber hollow point I use for carry/defense purposes. It's so expensive that I would rather not go through very much of it at the range to see if it works. I'm assuming that it should work, but I had a gun at one time which had trouble chambering some hollow point rounds so I thought I'd check here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Each gun can have a personality of it's own, the rounds that feed through it may or may not feed successfully through another of the same model. I always recommend buying a small quantity of an ammo you think you are interested in and running it through the gun to confirm it feeds and functions properly in your weapon. Range ammo, I'm not so picky with. If I get a misfeed or misfire from time to time, no problem, good practice for clearing the issue in a non-stress environment. In choosing a defensive round, I like to run 200-300 rounds of the ammo through my gun to make certain it feeds and functions as intended. I stipulate that the ammo can not be the cause of a malfunction during this testing process. If there is an ammo caused failure, the count starts over at zero. I also like to run about a thousand total failure free rounds through the gun prior to committing to use it for defense. This does a couple of things. It helps smooth out the trigger considerably, gets me much more familiar with the function of the weapon as well as wringing out and finding any possible issues before the bacon is on the grill, so to speak. YMMV.

I do find that the Golden Eagle is a very forgiving round in regards to feeding. Due to the shape of the bullet, more of a rounded nose vs the pointed nose of an HST, Gold Dot or Ranger, they seem to have less feed issues.

Premium Member
some 220 mags do better with different ammo because of bullet shape/loading mags, here are a few.

you just have to find what works.
I have saved you all the trouble of asking about a carry holster for my new P220. I ordered a Crossbreed Freedom Carry which is supposed to accommodate a heavier pistol in a number of positions. I am going to give carrying my new Sig a try even though it's heavier than my two other carry guns.

What I really wanted to ask was the second typical question. Is there any ammo that won't work well with this pistol? I usually use Winchester target ammo that my son can get at a discount where he works. I have a box of Remington Golden Saber hollow point I use for carry/defense purposes. It's so expensive that I would rather not go through very much of it at the range to see if it works. I'm assuming that it should work, but I had a gun at one time which had trouble chambering some hollow point rounds so I thought I'd check here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
With my P220's, I had no trouble chambering various hollowpoints, but there were some that wouldn't load into the magazine because the bullet was a bit too long. Luckily, Golden Saber, Gold Dot, and Hornaday XTP's loaded fine.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
rmak, I believe there has been a couple of complaints about some of the newer 8 round magazines, on the 220. There are some dimples at the front of the magazines that appear to be a little deeper than normal, causing feeding problems with some ammunition utilizing Hornady XTP projectiles. I don't believe there has been any problems with "Ball" ammunition, and as far as I know the Remington has a good reputation for feeding. But even knowing how expensive it is, I would run 3 magazines full of them consecutively, to insure no problems.

Here's the thread, and he mentioned he had problems with the Remington, but as others have said, sometimes it can be a finicky individual weapon...
http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/160426-p220-magazines.html

Registered
I have never found ammo that won't run in my P220s.
I have seen Golden Saber cause problems catching on the front corners of the mags where they fold in just a bit to help push by the magazine catch.
But I don't use Golden Saber for other reasons.

The P220 is famously reliable and I have never had issues.

Registered
...sometimes it can be a finicky individual weapon...
Quite the contrary. The P220 is legendary for its reliability and its ability for eating anything you feed it.

There have been issues with some bullets and the folded corners of the magazines. But I have only seen photographic proof of that with Golden Saber and the pics I've seen of the problem appeared to me that there were issues with the ammo's jacketing adding to the problem.

The other thread you point to is clearly a bad production run of magazines from Mec-Gar and SIG needs to know about it.

There is no compelling reason for SIG to increase the fold of those corners, which their engineers would know would cause issues. And the very fact that they won't feed SIG's own ammo is proof that the magazines are not manufactured to spec.

Those mags in the other thread need to go back.

Registered
Even though I don't have a P220 or other .45 handgun, but for my P229 as well as my wifes P239 we use SIG V-Crown in .357SIG. Haven't had any issues with it and at a price of $16 +tax for 20 rounds at Academy it's pretty inexpensive for that caliber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.