SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you practice shooting your P938 or P239 one handed? I do not often see people practicing one handed shooting. I personally think it is very important to be comfortable and at least somewhat proficient shooting one handed. I spend about 1/2 my practice time with my P938 shooting one handed, both weak and strong, at 10 ft., point and shoot. I also do a little at 21-30 ft. one handed using sights.
Do you do anything similar?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I shot bulls eye one handed for years. When I started CCW I went two handed. I didn't give much thought to continuing to practice one handed. Funny thing, I often shot better bulls eye scores rapid fire. Got into a rhythm with the sight picture and the trigger. To me it's a question of training as you intend to shoot, or training for all the contingencies. For a non-professional such as myself I think I"ll stick primarily to two handed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Last week I practiced it for the first time. I got to thinking, if my non-dominant hand is occupied or hurt I may only have one to shoot the pistol, so I better practice.

Now that I think of it, I'll start practicing one handed with my non-dominant hand too....just in case!

Reactions: louchia

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,057 Posts
Practice with both stronghand and weakhand. Also practice loading and clearing malfunctions with one hand only.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,028 Posts
I think it was John Wayne who fired his handgun with one hand and a lever action carbine with the other.

In the big gunfight between the FBI and the two bank robbers in Miami, one agent had to resort to pumping his shotgun with one hand when he was shot in the elbow.

If you know how, it is also easy to chamber a round with one hand in most semi-auto pistols like the 1911. It is not something you want to practice with live ammunition due to safety concerns.

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Practice with both stronghand and weakhand. Also practice loading and clearing malfunctions with one hand only.
Exactly my routines. Malfunction drills/loading both strong and weak hand, one handed.

As we age, some of these drills become more and more difficult. Not at least periodically challenging yourself to the limit of your abilities - to the point of knowing your failure point - can save your life.

God willing, we never reach that point but knowing your limitations and learning how to circumvent them as we age is a necessary evil.

Reactions: Warpig1961

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Interview with a Chicago PD veteran of 14 gunfights.

If you have never heard of Bob Stasch read this short article.
There is also a 52 minute video interview on you tube.

He is the Chicago cop who as been in 14 gun fights and addresses many things including the subject of one handed shooting.
One of the reasons why I only train under people who have been in combat or in gunfights. They deal with reality, not some dreamed up fantasy drill like a lot of Instructors do.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interview with a Chicago PD veteran of 14 gunfights.

If you have never heard of Bob Stasch read this short article.
There is also a 52 minute video interview on you tube.

He is the Chicago cop who as been in 14 gun fights and addresses many things including the subject of one handed shooting.
Thanks for the info on the Stasch interview. I found it very interesting and informative. It's definitely worth watching. He makes a very good point about practicing head shots, and most encounters being at close range.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.