SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well first of all, if you shoot someone that's 30 feet away from you chances are your going to jail. Yes there's a chance, a small chance you may have to shoot like the Indiana kid at 40 yards, not likely. So let's focus on ranges that self defense happens at, and that 7yards or closer. The guns you mentioned will work fine, but the question I'd ask myself if limited to only one gun, is how comfortable is it to carry in summer with shorts and 90 degree heat lol. Luckily for me I'm not limited so I change up depending on weather etc... In simmer I carry a CM 9 kahr 8 total rounds makes a fantastic pocket pistol. Fall and winter time I move up to a sig 225, G19 with a extra mag. Also look at a revolver, love my LCR 357, like the fact that I can have it in my jacket pocket with hand in it and fire through the pocket if need be. Lots of good quality options out there, in your case you need to get one all around pistol, makes it a little bit of a challenge. Your other option to solve your gun problem is , MOVE lol good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can own them and use HPs at home, but they’re banned for carry outside the home.
That's how you know you have brainless politicians passing laws out there. They'd rather have people carrying fmj ammo possibly injuring bystanders behind the target than do a simple 2 minutes of research lol.

Reactions: Jan Whitaker

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm hoping it's just me. I can work on that. My first thought was finger placement and grip. My groups were pretty tight and vertically on the mark. Just a bit to the left. At 10 yds shooting center mass I'm confident I could stop any threat. But if a head shot was needed I'm not at all confident. With my P226, definitely. But I need that kind of accuracy with this tiny new P938.

As I just recently picked up this little gem, I'm going to send it to SIG for the SIG Service Plan, which includes new night sights and a full tear-down/inspection. Worn parts will be replaced, everything cleaned and oiled, returned in factory fresh condition.
Most accounts I've heard of the P938 and P238 have been positive. I'm sure there's something you can fix to become more accurate with the gun. This one isn't aimed at you specifically, but, seeing a few "The gun is accurate!" mentions in a few posts lately I always want to offer them the correction "I am accurate with the gun." Whether or not you want that to be your CCW is another story. I live in a state that doesn't have those kind of regulations.

Remember not to curl your finger like a hook as you pull and to only use enough pressure to move it. Bend at the middle knuckle only. I saw a video after reading this saying to pull up at the top of the trigger shoe not the bottom, but he was bending at the 3rd knuckle. Beyond that it's all of the fundamentals all of the time and developing a dryfire routine that was more focused on my stance, wrists, grips, and sight picture and maintaining all of them through an entire magazine is ultimately what solved my accuracy issues, aside from the occasional excited moment where I might yank the trigger too hard.

I can't say whether the advice applies to you personally or not. But these were the gems that got me sorted out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did I just read this correctly? I bolded the part in mind.

I’m not a police officer, are hollow points legal for me to possess?
Yes. They are legal for purchase and possess in your home or on land owned by you. They are legal to possess and use at a gun range. They are also legal to possess while traveling to and from such places. Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition. An example of this can be seen with the Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty, Cor-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.

Might be worth asking a Jersey lawyer about that, rather than me offer speculation based on a FAQ at nj.gov

If you can get away with self defense rounds with a polymer tip though, it might be worth reconsidering something like a P365. It's probably not going to be any easier to learn to be a good shot with, but if the Macro is going to actually be a thing, and with the FCU being the only serialized part of the gun, you effectively have a gun that can cover the ground of what it would take like 3 Glocks to cover. If I'm reading it right, NJ allows for up to 17 rounds?

A P365 can be pocket sized with loose fit pants and a 10 round magazine, or it can hold 12-15+1 and make a competent belt piece. I can vouch that the gun itself is extremely accurate given I'm doing things correctly.

Modular to me, sounds ever more appealing thinking in the context of being limited to one gun. One slide with irons, another with an optic. Short grip, long grip, a light on one of them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Years back I had Glaser Safety Slugs in my 1911 Colt Commander. Initially I had the blue tips but moved to silver tips for a little more penetration. When I got my wife involved in home defense I transitioned to a Glock 23 in .40 S&W for higher capacity. My wife took to shooting the Glock like a fish to water. Both gratifying and frightening at the same time. If she ever goes full Karen on me I am well and truly screwed, and it's my own fault. She now has her own range gun, a Glock 48.

For HD now I'm using my new (to me) SIG P226 with .40 Hydro-Shok. I'd love to be able to carry with Hydro-Shok ammo but perhaps the Glaser silver tips in 9mm will have to suffice.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Years back I had Glaser Safety Slugs in my 1911 Colt Commander. Initially I had the blue tips but moved to silver tips for a little more penetration. When I got my wife involved in home defense I transitioned to a Glock 23 in .40 S&W for higher capacity. My wife took to shooting the Glock like a fish to water. Both gratifying and frightening at the same time. If she ever goes full Karen on me I am well and truly screwed, and it's my own fault. She now has her own range gun, a Glock 48.

For HD now I'm using my new (to me) SIG P226 with .40 Hydro-Shok. I'd love to be able to carry with Hydro-Shok ammo but perhaps the Glaser silver tips in 9mm will have to suffice.
I'm not saying it's the best, but, these expand.
Product Rectangle Font Kitchen utensil Tool

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
NJ here too. I qualified last week with my P938, P365 and P229(M11A1) and did equally well with all three for this qual. I bought the 938 several months ago and it did take a while to get used to it but I am now very comfortable with it and appreciate the size and weight.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Amazing. You have to id a specific gun which is stamped on your permit and carry only that? And you can’t carry JHP? Just wow. Bro, move to a free state.

Also with your shooting left… If you’re allowed to bring a second gun to the shooting range (lol) shoot your left leaning gun, then another one. Same target/distance. That could tell you if it’s the sights or you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
NJ here also.....

I qualified with my P365....

as far as the laws.... still being worked out

Yes.... you do have to list the firearms that you qualify with, but it is still unclear if that is the only firearm you can carry.....

Hollow Points are illegal - expect in the home and at the range ----- Critical Defense / Duty are OK in NJ's eyes..... this what I use also

It is to be seen if many people actually get the CCW permit.... I applied 5 weeks ago, and have heard nothing yet...... and I dont think I will for awhile

·
Registered
61 Posts
NJ here also.....

I qualified with my P365....

as far as the laws.... still being worked out

Yes.... you do have to list the firearms that you qualify with, but it is still unclear if that is the only firearm you can carry.....

Hollow Points are illegal - expect in the home and at the range ----- Critical Defense / Duty are OK in NJ's eyes..... this what I use also

It is to be seen if many people actually get the CCW permit.... I applied 5 weeks ago, and have heard nothing yet...... and I dont think I will for awhile
North Carolina is a shall issue state and it took about 95 days from application to approval and picking up my CCW. With NJ being new to the process I would imagine it could take a while. Especially with the state not being very enthusiastic about it.

After 42 years of NJ I don't miss it at all now that I'm gone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm going to assume NJ still limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds.

But, do they prohibit you from carrying extra magazines?

I'm just curious. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a restriction come down the pipe soon, if one doesn't already exist.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm going to assume NJ still limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds.

But, do they prohibit you from carrying extra magazines?

I'm just curious. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a restriction come down the pipe soon, if one doesn't already exist.
I misspoke in an earlier post apparently.

14. What is a “Large capacity ammunition magazine”?
A box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. The term shall not include an attached tubular device which is capable of holding only .22 caliber rimfire ammunition. Qualified retired law enforcement officers that have registered a handgun(s) with the New Jersey State Police as part of the Retired Police Officers permit to carry program may possess a magazine with a capacity of up to 15 rounds of ammunition for that specific registered handgun(s). Active duty law enforcement officers may possess magazines with a capacity of up to 17 rounds for personal firearms and over 17 rounds for any department issued firearm.

I'm assuming that means there's a 10 round restriction for civvies. P938 it is. If it was a 17 round limit for civilians I would say get an XL, then get a standard slide later and get a short grip and the upcoming Macro grip.. but, I guess that advice only applies to active LEOS, where retired LEO gets 15rds.

MY BAD. See aren't you glad I said to check with a Jersey lawyer OP?

Faq question # 13 does say critical defense isn't considered a hollowpoint though.

Reading these laws makes me thankful I live in a free state, at least regarding knives and guns. I do need to write my state officials a piece of my mind about something but it wouldn't be on this subject.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts