SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Jersey - Ugh!

I bought a SIG P938 and am thinking of using it to qualify for a CCW Permit. Here in The Garden State you must qualify for the one pistol that will go on your CCW Permit. This is my second SIG - I bought a P226 recently and love it, but full size pistols are not great for CCW. I love the design of the P938 and thought it might be the perfect choice. I can get used to having just 7+1 capacity as long as I have a second magazine and I'm "fluent" with the gun. Well, after a couple trips to the range I've learned I am NOT fluent enough! At 30 feet I'm shooting tight groups but everything is just left of the bullseye. Normally that's finger position on the trigger ( or just plain You Suck), and adjusting my grip helped but didn't solve it. Before I have the sights adjusted I'm going to try the Hogue rubber E2 grip that came with the P938 in place of the thinner rosewood grips currently installed. Another 100 round range trip is forthcoming.

Meanwhile I'm thinking a P229 Legion Compact might be the ticket. No doubt about it, after more than a decade as a Glock user, I've been bitten by the SIG bug. Bit HARD! Love the SA/DA action. My P226 is a tack driver in .40 S&W and I love the caliber. The problem with 9mm is New Jersey. Hollow point ammunition is forbidden for anything but home defense. I know -- the mind boggles. You'd think HP ammo would be better for CCW, safer for the lesser penetration, but irrational thought seems to be the rule in this state. I'd have no qualms about carrying 9mm Hydro-Shok but I worry about effectiveness and potential over-penetration of 9mm ball. The solution seems to be to get more accurate with regular 9mm.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just depends how big you want to go.

Hellcat, 365 or 365x and the lcp max are all options. M&P shield is great too but bigger.

You have the Glock 43x but that doesn't hold many rounds.

Ton of options. All just will be based on what size you want to conceal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
After 42 years in NJ it's still strange to me to see NJ residents discussing CCW options. I'm used to those options being no option at all because of the staunch anti-gun state government.

So in that vein, congratulations on having recently garnered at least some of your constitutional rights.

I don't particularly like that they limit you to a specific pistol for CCW. Here in NC I have a CCW and I can carry whatever I like, concealed or open.

I like having the choice to carry what I want, so that I can - and do- occasionally change what I'm carrying according to my mood or the situation.

I can't really suggest any one pistol for you to carry. Everyone is different, everybody's situation is different. I personally carry a P365 and occasionally change it out for a M&P.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just depends how big you want to go.

Hellcat, 365 or 365x and the lcp max are all options. M&P shield is great too but bigger.

You have the Glock 43x but that doesn't hold many rounds.

Ton of options. All just will be based on what size you want to conceal.
I hear ya on capacity, but here in the Beautiful People's Republic of New Jersey we are limited to 10 rounds by state law. Tossers. "You can stop a violent criminal, but you have to count to 10 Mississippi before shooting back."

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
soooo many choices, and all good. personal preference. get your hands on a lot of options, and shoot as many as feasible. mine has become a P320 X Compact with Wilson Combat grips.
OR.........just buy a whole bunch and then see which one you end up liking to carry the most.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My preference is for a hammer-fired SA/DA pistol. For striker-fired guns I'm comfortable with Glocks. And while those are my preferences, my needs are reliability and accuracy. I also have a lot of trigger time with 1911s so the SIG P938 was a natural fit. My accuracy with the P938 so far is lacking. We're a work in progress. People shoot different pistols with different levels of accuracy. I'm an old dog but I'm still capable of learning new tricks. If there is a better way of doing something I'm all in.

My leading contender for a CCW weapon right now is a P229 Compact. This is based on my love for the P226 and experience with the Glock 22 (full size) and Glock 23 (compact). Easier transition going from the full to compact size than learning a new system, so I find something I like and can shoot well and I stick with the platform.

·
Registered
563 Posts
New Jersey - Ugh!

I bought a SIG P938 and am thinking of using it to qualify for a CCW Permit. Here in The Garden State you must qualify for the one pistol that will go on your CCW Permit. This is my second SIG - I bought a P226 recently and love it, but full size pistols are not great for CCW. I love the design of the P938 and thought it might be the perfect choice. I can get used to having just 7+1 capacity as long as I have a second magazine and I'm "fluent" with the gun. Well, after a couple trips to the range I've learned I am NOT fluent enough! At 30 feet I'm shooting tight groups but everything is just left of the bullseye. Normally that's finger position on the trigger ( or just plain You Suck), and adjusting my grip helped but didn't solve it. Before I have the sights adjusted I'm going to try the Hogue rubber E2 grip that came with the P938 in place of the thinner rosewood grips currently installed. Another 100 round range trip is forthcoming.

Meanwhile I'm thinking a P229 Legion Compact might be the ticket. No doubt about it, after more than a decade as a Glock user, I've been bitten by the SIG bug. Bit HARD! Love the SA/DA action. My P226 is a tack driver in .40 S&W and I love the caliber. The problem with 9mm is New Jersey. Hollow point ammunition is forbidden for anything but home defense. I know -- the mind boggles. You'd think HP ammo would be better for CCW, safer for the lesser penetration, but irrational thought seems to be the rule in this state. I'd have no qualms about carrying 9mm Hydro-Shok but I worry about effectiveness and potential over-penetration of 9mm ball. The solution seems to be to get more accurate with regular 9mm.
A small handgun is going to make any flaws in technique more apparent than a bigger and heavier handgun of the same caliber. It could be your wrists. It could be trigger control or a number of things happening all at once. It took me quite a bit of time and effort to get accurate with the P365 as my second handgun. But, the things it taught me have improved my ability with bigger guns as well.

Sometimes, just having a new an unfamiliar object your hands could take some time and practice to get used to.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A small handgun is going to make any flaws in technique more apparent than a bigger and heavier handgun of the same caliber. It could be your wrists. It could be trigger control or a number of things happening all at once. It took me quite a bit of time and effort to get accurate with the P365 as my second handgun. But, the things it taught me have improved my ability with bigger guns as well.

Sometimes, just having a new an unfamiliar object your hands could take some time and practice to get used to.
I'm hoping it's just me. I can work on that. My first thought was finger placement and grip. My groups were pretty tight and vertically on the mark. Just a bit to the left. At 10 yds shooting center mass I'm confident I could stop any threat. But if a head shot was needed I'm not at all confident. With my P226, definitely. But I need that kind of accuracy with this tiny new P938.

As I just recently picked up this little gem, I'm going to send it to SIG for the SIG Service Plan, which includes new night sights and a full tear-down/inspection. Worn parts will be replaced, everything cleaned and oiled, returned in factory fresh condition.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you're so proficient with the 226, see if you can get your hands on a 225A1. With a +1 mag extension you got your 10 rounds and you will probably love the piece and shoot it well. SA/DA, 10 rounds, G10, SRT. What's not to love?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Aren't hollow points illegal out there? Which is funny because I assume you can technically just buy underwood extreme defenders instead which I carry anyway.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts