SIG Talk banner

Older Sig P225/P6 Hard Slide Rack

1330 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  diceman3
I've noted that some of the older models seem harder to rack then later production. Was there any change in recoil spring on newer versions?
Reactions: bearone2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,082 Posts
I've noted that some of the older models seem harder to rack then later production. Was there any change in recoil spring on newer versions?
FWIW I believe they are stronger, currently, even with the use of forged/milled Stainless Steel slides, which should be heavier than the older folded Carbon Steel slide with removable Breech Block. But then again, the newer models are able to support +P ammunition.

Part of what you may be feeling is the mainspring weight if cocking the hammer also. The older units used a metal mainspring seat and longer strut and mainspring, compared to the newer models.

· Registered
5,817 Posts
As Willard suggests . . .

Try cocking the hammer before racking the slide. Obviously this will be easier to do, as you are taking mainspring compression out of the picture.

Field strip gun. Install bare slide (no barrel, guide rod, or recoil spring) on frame. Does the bare slide move easily?

On many guns, you can assemble gun without guide rod and recoil spring, this allows you to feel how things fit and work together without fighting against the recoil spring. To do this, you should keep gun upside down at all times during assembly, function check and disassembly, so as to keep barrel in proper position. This procedure also allows one to feel barrel fit, including barrel lug and in-battery lock up, so it can be useful for fitting new barrels using DyKem.

· Premium Member
13,056 Posts
FWIW I believe they are stronger, currently, even with the use of forged/milled Stainless Steel slides, which should be heavier than the older folded Carbon Steel slide with removable Breech Block. But then again, the newer models are able to support +P ammunition.
I believe he's only referring to the P225 (not A1) which does not have a stainless steel slide. I have a 1981 P225 and a 2009 P225 and both are built exactly the same--same mainspring assemblies also.

If he's comparing to the newer A1's then that's totally different. The new A1's have a P239 recoil spring which is not a multi-strand spring.

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,082 Posts
I believe he's only referring to the P225 (not A1) which does not have a stainless steel slide. I have a 1981 P225 and a 2009 P225 and both are built exactly the same--same mainspring assemblies also.

If he's comparing to the newer A1's then that's totally different. The new A1's have a P239 recoil spring which is not a multi-strand spring.
I "assumed" OP was talking about Sigs in general, and I was considering the W. German models compared to newer US manufactured models of same Model #... and we all know what assuming does...

· 🎖USA Veteran
28,330 Posts
is it a new spring??

a while back i made a recoil spring swap(old/new) on my '94'ke 226 & right away could feel the increased tension on the new spring.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For clarification, in my case actually, I found racking the slide on my P225 Montage Suisse much harder than my 1991 P6.
Both pistols were perfectly clean, to make sure of any debris.
I will follow the idea of pulling the trigger back first to see if the trigger spring is involved. I have also ordered 4, 19lb Wolfe mainsprings to see if that helps.

Thanks for all your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.