SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my birthday in April 2019 I'm going to buy a brand new P226 Legion .357 Sig pistol. My gun dealer knows this but the other day he tells me he has something I should see.

He has an older P226 .357 Sig that is in excellent condition and probably not priced to bad and I can get him lower. I have inspected this weapon twice and believe it to be in excellent condition. I'm not a professional gun man but I'm not a slouch either.

This pistol has the serial U 707 172 and on the frame (non rail) it does say frame made in Germany. It has Hogue grips but nothing really special about it. No wear marks, incredibly solid, no corrosion. Don't know how old it is. And I don't know jack about pre and post.

So my comment and question is this, I know nothing about older Sig's. NOTHING! I am going to call customer service tomorrow to see what I can find out about this particular weapon but do you guys think that if I can get this for $450 or less, install sig grips, replace sights, put it in a Sig plastic carry case, replace spring, and maybe get some extra mags that I could private party sell this in April for $650 - $750? Also if anyone knows a lot about the older two tone weapons, I'm all ears.

Thank you, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
784 Posts
For me locally, two tone p226s especially in 357 sig rarely sell, and when they do its for aroynd $550-$600 with extras. That holds true for most p229s, p239s, p224s, p226s, and p220s that are older and not in pristene condition. Leo trade ins can be had from $379-$549, and some of those are even newer railed guns. For $750+, you either need like new or a more expensive model to begin with. Private market may vary state to state, this had just been my experience over the past few years.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
No.

If you want it for you, buy it.

If you're looking to invest in upgrades/replacement parts and then flip it, you will probably lose money.

·
Registered
20,238 Posts
U707XXX is probably around 2005. I doubt you're going to get any used P226 for $450, unless it's a police trade-in--which will be beat up. The work you're talking about doing may cost upwards of $200. Seems like a lot of work to maybe make less than $100. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If it has no marks and is priced close enough for you to walk away at $450 my guess is it was a police trade in that was refinished.

Like others have said, you would be out at least $100 if you were to get it and try and flip it. Save up for the Legion if that is what you want.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
No.

If you want it for you, buy it.

If you're looking to invest in upgrades/replacement parts and then flip it, you will probably lose money.
I agree. I have a lot of guns that shoot 357 Sig which I really like. However, all of mine are part of a multi-caliber setup. I have sold several Sig 320s chambered in 357 Sig and lost money on all of them. I doubt that other Sigs in this caliber are any more marketable.

This is not a caliber that appeals to the masses so your market will be pretty small IMO.

I believe Sigs in this caliber are ones you buy because you enjoy shooting 357 Sig not for investment purposes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts