SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've heard it. There's no school like the old school. Lately I have had a certain draw on me to go back to the old school ways. I've purchased an old Winchester M94 lever action rifle. I've dug up my old Case hunter folding knife and recently purchased a couple new stockman pocket knives. I have a particular desire for an old Colt 1911 and the original Sig P226 made in Germany...you know what I'm talking about. I'm a young man (45), but I am steeped in some of the older ways having been taught by my father and some old salts in the Navy from back when the ships were made from wood and the men from iron. Let's talk about some of the old things and ways you have and love that still get it done in today's new fangled world of plastic guns. What say ye!

·
Premium Member
12,022 Posts
A great gun will never be a bad one.

Also...the feel of, say, my P220 all-stainless with wood grips, or working the bolt on an old Mauser.....that's what guns are all about. I love modern firearms too, but wood & steel just speaks to you.

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed. My ultimate safe collection will consist of some old classics that never die. Wood and steel...yeah.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
At the age of 45, you are about the age of my Son.

Here goes with a few more to add to your bucket list. You can't be old school without a few of the bygone great revolvers like the S&W Model 19, S&W Centennial, Colt Official Police, Colt Police Positive Special, and maybe a S&W Victory. In the pistols along with an M1911 you will want an M1911A1, and any of the Beretta Cheetah's. In rifles lets go after a Browning .22 Semi-Auto and a Remington 600 Mohawk. You aren't old school without a Browning Model A5 or a Winchester Model 12.

We could also get into long discussions about older pick-up trucks and the best fishing lures. With the discussion of luring, there is always a need for a good old wooden duck call and a wood box turkey call.

Been carrying a pocket knife since grade school. Probably lost more in my lifetime than you could put in a footlocker.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
I'm loving my P320s but it's still a great pleasure to take my first 9mm for spin. Purchased in 1974 or 5, my Browning Hi-Power is still one beautiful and accurate shooter.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Late 2016 I got a 1957 Winchester Model 70 30-06.

A few weeks later, a 1973 Browning Citori.

I balanced it out by buying a new P227 this month.

I admire manufacturing craftsmanship.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
You've heard it. There's no school like the old school. Lately I have had a certain draw on me to go back to the old school ways. I've purchased an old Winchester M94 lever action rifle. I've dug up my old Case hunter folding knife and recently purchased a couple new stockman pocket knives. I have a particular desire for an old Colt 1911 and the original Sig P226 made in Germany...you know what I'm talking about. I'm a young man (45), but I am steeped in some of the older ways having been taught by my father and some old salts in the Navy from back when the ships were made from wood and the men from iron. Let's talk about some of the old things and ways you have and love that still get it done in today's new fangled world of plastic guns. What say ye!
For 45, it sounds like you are indeed an "old soul". I certainly do know what your talkin about, as I still have my 1st pistol, a Colt 1911 but unfortunately sold my Smith Model 19. Still have my Belgium made Browning .22lr rifle and Lt. 12 shotgun. Wish I still had my original Daisy BB gun. Had various knives too, including a Bowie. "Iron men on wooden ships" . . . that was what we were called when I was aboard my ship, USS Inflict, MSO 456 (minesweeper/ocean). I had a great time growing up and wish that feeling was still in me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When I win Powerball :), I'm going to buy every old gun I can get my hands on, a Barrett .50 Cal for sure, a 69 Chevelle with a 396 as my everyday ride (sentimental reason), and every old MOPAR I can buy to fill the warehouse I'm going to buy. Money can't buy happiness but it buys a whole of free time fillers.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the age of 45, you are about the age of my Son.

Here goes with a few more to add to your bucket list. You can't be old school without a few of the bygone great revolvers like the S&W Model 19, S&W Centennial, Colt Official Police, Colt Police Positive Special, and maybe a S&W Victory. In the pistols along with an M1911 you will want an M1911A1, and any of the Beretta Cheetah's. In rifles lets go after a Browning .22 Semi-Auto and a Remington 600 Mohawk. You aren't old school without a Browning Model A5 or a Winchester Model 12.

We could also get into long discussions about older pick-up trucks and the best fishing lures. With the discussion of luring, there is always a need for a good old wooden duck call and a wood box turkey call.

Been carrying a pocket knife since grade school. Probably lost more in my lifetime than you could put in a footlocker.
I do have an old Colt Det. Special .38! :D It was my grandfather's pistol, and man are there some good stories behind it. I also love the Beretta Cheetah. Hadn't thought of the Browning .22 or a Remington 600, but I'll have to now. I do have an old .22lr single shot my dad gave me, though. I just gave it to my daughter along with the H&R single shot .20ga I got when I was 11. I'm definitely going to acquire a Model 10 and 19, and I want to get my hands ona clean 65. Thanks for the trip down old school road! ;)

Reactions: lamarw

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For 45, it sounds like you are indeed an "old soul". I certainly do know what your talkin about, as I still have my 1st pistol, a Colt 1911 but unfortunately sold my Smith Model 19. Still have my Belgium made Browning .22lr rifle and Lt. 12 shotgun. Wish I still had my original Daisy BB gun. Had various knives too, including a Bowie. "Iron men on wooden ships" . . . that was what we were called when I was aboard my ship, USS Inflict, MSO 456 (minesweeper/ocean). I had a great time growing up and wish that feeling was still in me.
The ship I sailed on was USS Kidd (DDG 993) from July 1991-March 1995. Departed from Haifa, Israel, which was a great port visit. Got to hang with a couple Israeli sailors and exchange some things with them. Good time. Some of the ones I've let get away was a really nice Colt 1911 Series 70, my original German made P226, and the early generation Glock 17...but the most prized gun I still dream about was the near mint, like new Belgium made Browning Hi-Power circa 1969. Beautiful piece! I am in love with the old Winchester M94 I recently bought, though, and will never part from it. At this point I'm going about acquiring some of those timeless classics, like a Model 10/19. Gotta have one.

Reactions: SHOOT

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
The ship I sailed on was USS Kidd (DDG 993) from July 1991-March 1995. Departed from Haifa, Israel, which was a great port visit. Got to hang with a couple Israeli sailors and exchange some things with them. Good time. Some of the ones I've let get away was a really nice Colt 1911 Series 70, my original German made P226, and the early generation Glock 17...but the most prized gun I still dream about was the near mint, like new Belgium made Browning Hi-Power circa 1969. Beautiful piece! I am in love with the old Winchester M94 I recently bought, though, and will never part from it. At this point I'm going about acquiring some of those timeless classics, like a Model 10/19. Gotta have one.
Thanks for your service. I was a little before you, attached to my ship from '69-'72. Seems like a long time ago. My Colt is a Series '70 National Match Gold Cup. Love my pistol.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your service. I was a little before you, attached to my ship from '69-'72. Seems like a long time ago. My Colt is a Series '70 National Match Gold Cup. Love my pistol.
Thanks for yours as well. It's hard to beat an old Colt. The 70 is a classic.

Reactions: SHOOT

·
Premium Member
12,022 Posts
My collection 20 years ago, which I sold to fund computer equipment, included a WWII-era Singer-made 191, WWII M1 Carbine, and a Korean War era M1 Garand. I didn't shoot them much, and it's not like they are rare (at least in construction, the Singer being pretty rare)...but holding that history in your hands was something special. Miss that.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My collection 20 years ago, which I sold to fund computer equipment, included a WWII-era Singer-made 191, WWII M1 Carbine, and a Korean War era M1 Garand. I didn't shoot them much, and it's not like they are rare (at least in construction, the Singer being pretty rare)...but holding that history in your hands was something special. Miss that.
Indeed, the history is rich. I want to get an M-1 Garand, M-14 and an original version of the 1st M-16 issued just for the historical aspect.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
In the 40's/50's, my dad had a German .32 which was our store pistol for protection. It was either (as I can recall) a Shull made by the Shure bros or visa versa. I can't remember exactly, but I've never been able to pull those names up anywhere???

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I love my old Winchester mod. 63 .22 semi-auto rifle and my vintage Browning Hi-Power. That old 63 has put a lot of rabbit and squirrel meat on the table.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
In the 40's/50's, my dad had a German .32 which was our store pistol for protection. It was either (as I can recall) a Shull made by the Shure bros or visa versa. I can't remember exactly, but I've never been able to pull those names up anywhere???
Could it possibly have been JP Sauer & Sohn Suhl 7.65 cal?

A predecessor or ancestor to the current Sig lineage...

Attachments

Reactions: GCBHM and SHOOT

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
I understand your draw to these older model firearms. I have accumulated a few older model military rifles over the years, I guess because I made the military a career. I don't shoot them much anymore, as the supplies of surplus ammunition has all but dried up. The new replacement ammunition is fine, but costs as much, if not more than hunting or match ammunition.
These are a few of the rifles... M1A, M1 Garand, (2) M1 Carbines, M1903A3, FN-49 Egyptian 7.92x57JS, #4Mk1 SMLE, (2) M-24/47 Yugoslavian 7.92x57JS, and M-48 Yugoslavian 7,92x57JS

Attachments

·
Banned
4,502 Posts
I like old school but new technology happens for a reason. So yes I still have my Browning A5 Humpbacks and they are cool to pull out and look at. The wood furniture and blue steel is really cool. I shoot them now and then and even take them hunting now and then but they are heavy little beasts. It's only after a day of lugging one of those monsters around that I truly appreciate my Benelli SBE.

But for old school I have an A5 born in 1958 and another A5 born in 1968. I have a Browning SXS from the 70's and a Winchester 94 30-30 I got around 1976. I still have my original Benjamin 22 cal air rifle from when I was about 11 or 12. Me and my best friend at the time used to wander all over the rural areas outside our little town "hunting" with our air rifles. We killed a lot of rabbits, squirrels and multitudes of doves and even a few greenhead mallards just with those air rifles. I also still have the first hunting knife my dad got me. Its nothing special I guess but I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a stainless steel fixed blade with a deer antler handle. My kids think its the coolest thing ever. Oh, I also have some old shotshell boxes from way back when. I would say 50's and 60's. Back when the boxes themselves were a work of art.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Could it possibly have been JP Sauer & Sohn Suhl 7.65 cal?

A predecessor or ancestor to the current Sig lineage...
Thanks Willard and it very could have been. Although I don't remember the model or exactly how it looked, I could have juggled the name, from that period of time. I do remember that my dad understood that it was a German officer's "boot gun". He later sold it and got a Beretta .380, which I still have.

Reactions: Willard
1 - 20 of 26 Posts