SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll admit it. My 1st choice is .45 ACP and my 2nd choice is .40 but I did recently buy a 9mm P320 RXP so I guess I am hedging my bet.

For me, 45 ACP and .40 are for defense and I am not sure quite where 9mm fits in. I am retired so my personal choices are not particularly important to anyone else.

What are your first, second and third choices and do you anticipate changing them over the next few years?

No rules. Answer any way that you like and feel free to add as much or as little to explain your choices and why they are important to you.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Start hoarding my .40 S&W Field brass... I reload...Other than that, no real changes "chasing the crowd"...

9mm is becoming popular because the firearms hold more rounds - and more chances to hit a target. That's the main reason agencies and military have selected them. The round is potent enough for self defense, and you have more rounds available.

I will still carry my .45acp and .40 S&W EDC firearms. I train, and the round count is less an issue - but still important.

Compact EDC firearms like the P365 have an adequate number of rounds in a very compact form factor.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Anything you can shoot accurately is enough. A bad guy will be just as dead from a .22LR between the eyes as from a 45 anywhere.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I’ll be honest. I have about 4 main edc weapons. 1 is a .45
2 are 9mm
1 is .40.
I don’t care what I carry.These 4 particular weapons are 100% reliable, I shoot them very well and are easy to carry. I honestly don’t “prefer “ one over the others. But… with that said. When I go to a more “sketchy” town or maybe the unknown… I take the .40. The bit of extra energy over the 9mm and capacity over the .45 with the fact shoot it well. There ya go.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
What am I going to do? I'm going to shoot a lot of 9mm!

I love shooting other calibers as well, but mainly just for variety. I've seen nothing that convinces me that any of the 'middle of the road' pistol calibers are more effective than another for SD - they're all mediocre, so the more you have on deck, the better.

If you want "stopping power" get a rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
I didn't really change anything ... I added. I've always shot .38, .357, .44, .45 and lots of .22. I still shoot all of these. But with the expanding choices of cool 9mm firearms and the price of the ammo I thought I would buy my first 9mm about seven years ago ... I now have six ( 5 pistols, 1 PCC). Back before 2020 you could buy 9mm ammo for $169.00 - 189.00 per/K everyday around here and have bought Blazer bulk for as low as $139.00 per/K. I did stock up and will still shoot them all in rotation. But today I shoot mostly .22 from my big back stock and buy more when I find the good prices.

I still carry my 642 Airweight .38 ... I've never found anything that is as safe and easy to carry. And with the vast improvements in .38 ammo I will continue to carry it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I've recently been moving more toward .380 acp. Technology has improved the load's efficacy, and with the Ruger LCP Max, carrying 11+1 in a lighter weight than my P365, it's got its attractions. Plus, it's cheaper and more plentiful these days.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
This not a new phenomenon. Years ago the switch was to the 40 from 9mm. Now we have come full circle. I started with the 9mm Browning HP (which I still own) and then my department went with P226 in 9mm when transitioning from the 357 (which I still own). The department then switched to the P226 in 40 and right after the Miami debacle. After testing various rounds we settled on the 40. Am I fanboy for 40? Yes, used it in real life incident and did the job perfectly. Several other OIS confirmed the 40 as a very good round for SD. I still have and carry the 40 in several weapons. Will I follow the crowd based upon the crowds desire to be in the "in crowd"? Absolutely not and never will. The 9mm is desirable for most people based upon anecdotal opinions from people that target shooters and wannabe experts. The Famous But Incompetent moved to the 9mm for training cost reasons and the newer generation of "agents":rolleyes: had difficulty handling the robustness of the 40. "it hurts my hand:sneaky:". I'm not bashing the 9mm, some people are comfortable with it and any round will kill whether 22short or H&R 32,,,lol. But I feel better knowing what I know in real world encounters. 9 is fine but 40 oh lordy. Don't fall for the spin that the rounds have equaled out and all that tripe

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ll admit it. My 1st choice is .45 ACP and my 2nd choice is .40 but I did recently buy a 9mm P320 RXP so I guess I am hedging my bet.

For me, 45 ACP and .40 are for defense and I am not sure quite where 9mm fits in. I am retired so my personal choices are not particularly important to anyone else.

What are your first, second and third choices and do you anticipate changing them over the next few years?

No rules. Answer any way that you like and feel free to add as much or as little to explain your choices and why they are important to you.
Can I take my sig p320 pellet gun an convert it to the Real Thing?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Can I take my sig p320 pellet gun an convert it to the Real Thing?
No. Don’t cheap out and just buy the real thing.

as for shooting 9mm or whatever ammo, I won’t change a thing. I’ll still shoot as much as I did, COVID or not.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My calibers of choice are .40 and 38/357. I roll my own and have a ton of brass for all three so it won't mean much to me. Plenty of ammo for practice.
When I load "SD" ammo I use new starline brass and xtp bullets and I am sure both will always be available.

I still believe that in my lifetime I will see a mag limit. I would rather have 10 rds in .40 or 6 in .357 mag than 10 in 9mm. That .. and I just like shooting those cartridges.

The day may come when I may be to weak or old to manage them but until then ..

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have 3 9mm that I carry. One is a pocket carry, one is a cz p-01 and a Sig 320. I like all 3 but my favorite is the cz P-01 although I carry my Ruger LC9S Pro pocket carry more than the others.

If I could find a way to conceal a Desert Eagle in 50 Action Express that would undoubtedly be my carry gun. My friend has one and I love shooting it. I have no problem with the recoil and rapid fire. I just can't find a way to conceal it short of wearing a jacket and that's a no go in south Florida

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 96 Posts