SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to "get rid of" a box of steel cased ammo. Didnt get very far before it jammed, failure to extract. I had never had a malfunction I could not resolve at the range but this one was stuck. The gun was locked on a fired round.
So I thought I share this video that saved me. A caution: my first attempt at this and I tore the gun out of my left hand grip only to drop it on the bench (not the concrete floor, gratefully)

I'm not gonna shoot the rest of that box.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
What brand of steel ammo? I was close to buying some steel this week but I decided not to. I was able to get some Federal Champion a few days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's a reason most ranges don't allow them as well.
Indoor ranges prevent steel case ammo due to brass harvesting issues not immediate range safety issues. Steel cases might present a safety issue if reloaded, but that is not the primary motivation. Keeping steel cases out of the brass cases they harvest saves them the time and money necessary to get out the steel cases.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That guy needs to lay off the Red Bull...^_^

Steel Cased ammo is not permitted at my Range...
Ya, he was vigorous and that's what it took to get the shell out. I liked that no tools were required and all the striking was buffed by ,, well,, human flesh. I felt like it was as benign to the gun as possible while having to exert some real effort.

The ammo was Winchester 115 grain but yeah, I'm not doing any steel again

·
Registered
886 Posts
Clamping the slide in a padded vise sounds like a better idea, but avoiding the steel **** for sure.
BTW, placing a brass range-rod down the barrel, against the bottom of the stranded case, and then giving the end of the rod a firm bump against your workbench, sounds better still. And it doesn't ask too much of the extractor.
Moon

·
Registered
466 Posts
Winchester steel is ****.

I have put a lot of wolf steel through my ar9 with zero issues.
At 13cpr shipped I bought a lot for the AR.
Steel cases can be culled easily from brass with a magnet.
Aluminum is different.
My indoor range doesnt care.
They're cool.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I understand if someone is tight on cash, shoots a lot etc. And if it is a firearm actually built to shoot steel case ammo (ie, AK, etc), I understand that too. But for me, it just isn't worth the risk, hassle to to save a few bucks (and I do not shoot a really high volume of rounds) - but that's just my personal view. I mean why worry about it and have that little thought in your head about it. Again, I understand it is a personal choice though

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
my range don't allow because it might catch the rug on fire since they came out so hot, I pointed out that the floor was tiled, he was referring to the un burn powder on the range shelf, next time I didn't said anything and went on firing the steel cased, no fire on rug, I had my hand and gun further out than usual though and did fired them on a Glock just in case the extractor will chip, it didn't, 50 more rounds to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nothing wrong with using steel case generally. There is no “risk”. If a range doesn’t want you to use it it’s because they don’t want to have to pick them out of all the rest of the brass cases they are going to sell. However, neither of my P365s like Wolf. Locked them both up with failures to extract. It seems to occur after the pistols heat up some. Roughly 7-9 rounds. The problem was solved with a strong overhand grip on the slide and a palm strike to the grip. I’ve had no issues with Tula in my P365, and if I recall correctly the I’ve run the Winchester stuff without difficulties as well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is it ever a practice to lube the case before firing?
No, the case is supposed to grip the chamber wall upon firing to prevent gases from escaping rearward and to prevent excessive bolt thrust. There should be a certain amount of springback of the case to allow ejection.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The real issue with steel case ammo, is the case itself. Steel rusts. If you don't want it to rust, you have to coat it with something.

The old com-block surplus used lacquer, which would build up a gummy residue in a hot chamber.

Newr stuff uses a polymer coating. Which is great, because there's no residue. But. In a gun with tight tolerances, heat is still an issue. In a hot pistol, with a tight chamber the polymer can still soften enough to cause sticky ejection, or worse, a stuck case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts