SIG Talk banner

Ohio ccw law March 21 2017 changes

3477 Views 49 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Raven312
I thought I would put this out to my fellow Buckeyes.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/changes-ohio-concealed-carry-law-coming-march-21-2017

Buckeye Firearms Association is pleased to announced that changes made to Ohio law via the recently-passed Senate Bill 199 will take effect on March 21, 2017.
The changes and improvements made to Ohio law for gunowners include the following:

Prohibit a business entity, property owner, or public or private employer from banning a person who has been issued a valid CHL from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when the items are locked in a person's privately-owned motor vehicle on company property.

Allow CHL-holders to keep their handgun locked in a motor vehicle on school premises.

Allow colleges and government bodies to decide for themselves if concealed-carry should be allowed.

Allow CHL-holders to carry on private aircraft, in the non-secure area of airports and in day-care centers (unless the day care posts a "no-guns" sign).

Allow active military members who have the same or greater training than that required to obtain a concealed handgun license (CHL) to carry a concealed firearm as a license-holder to carry without a license.

Allows the sale of firearms to active duty military members without regard to their age. Current law prohibits those under 21 from purchasing a handgun.

Click here https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/sit...s/publicfiles/pdf/sb199_05_EN Watermarked.pdf to read the exact language of the new law, which, to repeat, will take effect on March 21, 2017.
Chad D. Baus is the Buckeye Firearms Association Secretary, BFA PAC Vice Chairman, and an NRA-certified firearms instructor. He is the editor of BuckeyeFirearms.org, which received the Outdoor Writers of Ohio 2013 Supporting Member Award for Best Website.
Its nice to see the laws heading in this kind of direction.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Our Governor Vetoed the single bill I was interested in. It would allow Active duty and Honorably discharged Veterans under 21 to purchase and get CCW permits. It would also honor permits from Ga.

Of course, that was too good of an idea.

Registered
I thought I would put this out to my fellow Buckeyes.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/changes-ohio-concealed-carry-law-coming-march-21-2017

Its nice to see the laws heading in this kind of direction.
What sucks for me, as a buckeye, is that my employer refuses to comply with the new law. Whats really scary is that with the amount of weight they have economically, there will be no ramifications to prevent them from harassing CCW holders. It's odd enough they can have our license plates ran to see who ran the light that they changed the timing on, to make us late. So there really is nothing stopping them from doing it.

In other words- It's a law without teeth.

Registered
What sucks for me, as a buckeye, is that my employer refuses to comply with the new law. Whats really scary is that with the amount of weight they have economically, there will be no ramifications to prevent them from harassing CCW holders. It's odd enough they can have our license plates ran to see who ran the light that they changed the timing on, to make us late. So there really is nothing stopping them from doing it.

In other words- It's a law without teeth.
First off, your employer should have know way of knowing your gun is locked in your car, unless you have to use it. In that case loosing your job will be least of your worries.
Second, why in heck would your employer (if they could) have the timing on a light changed to make their employees late for work?
If one change of a light can make you late, leave earlier.
I don't want to offend anyone but really?

Registered
First off, your employer should have know way of knowing your gun is locked in your car, unless you have to use it. In that case loosing your job will be least of your worries.
I think you miss what I am saying. It helps to have knowledge of the situation, as well as how CHL's are processed in Ohio. In Ohio, when you get a CHL they put a little note on your licence in the vehicle registration database. When your plate is ran- they know you have a CHL before the officer approaches your car. So if you have an employer who is running license plates- they know. Even though that is supposed to be confidential, I would highly doubt an employer with that sort of reach is running it only on cars that run traffic lights. Also, if you work for a liberal viewed employer, and someone accuses you of having a gun- your cars probably getting searched.

Second, why in heck would your employer (if they could) have the timing on a light changed to make their employees late for work?
If one change of a light can make you late, leave earlier.
They would mess with light timing over attendance bonuses. $100 a month adds up. They "donated" the money for the lights, and "help" set timings up to "help" with traffic flowing in and out of the facilities. They get a blank check to make people sit 5-10 minutes at a stop light. If you run that light, you won't get a visit from a LEO, since they don't patrol that area. All the cameras are on company property aimed at the intersections. You get hauled into HR. Which means the employer in this case, is running license plates. My 2nd point is the law is useless, because it offers zero protections for a CHL holder, because there is a way for an employer to suspect you have it, and violate your rights just because they want to. The paperwork that lets them run our plates, was likely signed when we employees were hired in, and consented to a background check.

I leave for work with plenty of time to spare- which was not even the point.

If you don't believe me- read the law for yourself. There is NO PENALTY for an employer to fire you right on the spot, on just the suspicion. This is a law that is nothing except a suggestion. They can fire you for having a bullet in your car, they can fire you for having a gun locked in your car, they can fire you for the suspicion, they can still search your car, and there is nothing you can do about it because the law failed to give remedies.

I don't want to offend anyone but really?
Does the laws in Ohio even apply to you?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think you miss what I am saying. It helps to have knowledge of the situation, as well as how CHL's are processed in Ohio. In Ohio, when you get a CHL they put a little note on your licence in the vehicle registration database. When your plate is ran- they know you have a CHL before the officer approaches your car. So if you have an employer who is running license plates- they know. Even though that is supposed to be confidential, I would highly doubt an employer with that sort of reach is running it only on cars that run traffic lights. Also, if you work for a liberal viewed employer, and someone accuses you of having a gun- your cars probably getting searched.

They would mess with light timing over attendance bonuses. $100 a month adds up. They "donated" the money for the lights, and "help" set timings up to "help" with traffic flowing in and out of the facilities. They get a blank check to make people sit 5-10 minutes at a stop light. If you run that light, you won't get a visit from a LEO, since they don't patrol that area. All the cameras are on company property aimed at the intersections. You get hauled into HR. Which means the employer in this case, is running license plates. My 2nd point is the law is useless, because it offers zero protections for a CHL holder, because there is a way for an employer to suspect you have it, and violate your rights just because they want to. The paperwork that lets them run our plates, was likely signed when we employees were hired in, and consented to a background check.

I leave for work with plenty of time to spare- which was not even the point.

If you don't believe me- read the law for yourself. There is NO PENALTY for an employer to fire you right on the spot, on just the suspicion. This is a law that is nothing except a suggestion. They can fire you for having a bullet in your car, they can fire you for having a gun locked in your car, they can fire you for the suspicion, they can still search your car, and there is nothing you can do about it because the law failed to give remedies.

Does the laws in Ohio even apply to you?
Your employer has no right under the new law to even ask you or search your vehicle unless you are working on military type base. And for an employer to fire someone based on legally owned and carried firearm would open them up to legal action. Also running someonea plates just because is a serious overreach.

Registered
Your employer has no right under the new law to even ask you or search your vehicle unless you are working on military type base. And for an employer to fire someone based on legally owned and carried firearm would open them up to legal action. Also running someonea plates just because is a serious overreach.

I actually work at a factory. Non military. Very liberal political leanings within senior management. The problem is, how would anyone afford to sue them. The lawsuit would sit in appeals for years, just on the language of the actual law itself. Because the BSFA talks a good talk but doesn't do a lot of walk; the ex-employee goes broke, and the lawsuit drops before the company pays out more than a few bucks in legal fees.

I asked a manager, and am told the plate running comes from a "Trade Partnership Pact" with DHS, and that we consented to it when we hired in, and consented to a background check. The traffic light portion is "done for public safety". But the company I work for has the attitude of "so sue us". Since EEOC and FMLA are mere suggestions- this law will only get a laugh from them.

If this was a law that was to be taken seriously, they'd make it a misdemeanor that upgrades to a felony to harass a CHL holder, remove their lawfully possessed weapon from their persons or property, or use the state background check and/or vehicle database system to find out if an employee has a CHL. This only enables the gun grabbers to engage in their antics with civil repercussions. Now I am going to ask the county sheriff where I live, if the company runs a plate check, and I get searched, if that is something I should be filing a report over.

Registered
I actually work at a factory. Non military. Very liberal political leanings within senior management. The problem is, how would anyone afford to sue them. The lawsuit would sit in appeals for years, just on the language of the actual law itself. Because the BSFA talks a good talk but doesn't do a lot of walk; the ex-employee goes broke, and the lawsuit drops before the company pays out more than a few bucks in legal fees.

I asked a manager, and am told the plate running comes from a "Trade Partnership Pact" with DHS, and that we consented to it when we hired in, and consented to a background check. The traffic light portion is "done for public safety". But the company I work for has the attitude of "so sue us". Since EEOC and FMLA are mere suggestions- this law will only get a laugh from them.

If this was a law that was to be taken seriously, they'd make it a misdemeanor that upgrades to a felony to harass a CHL holder, remove their lawfully possessed weapon from their persons or property, or use the state background check and/or vehicle database system to find out if an employee has a CHL. This only enables the gun grabbers to engage in their antics with civil repercussions. Now I am going to ask the county sheriff where I live, if the company runs a plate check, and I get searched, if that is something I should be filing a report over.
You are wrong on so many levels. EEOC and FMLA are federal laws and agencies not suggestions. Those Federal agencies take their jobs and responsibilities VERY seriously. I deal with them on a regular basis. The BFA is a fantastic organization that has done a great job at effectively changing Ohio gun laws that don't make sense. I have been a member for years for a reason.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.