SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting to me that Sig has released OEM TiN barrels for the P320 and P365. A bit too blingy for me, though I do understand it increases lubricity as well. Perhaps they're trying to capture some of the aftermarket dollars. Thoughts?

Sig P320 TiN barrels

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Kimber 45 and a FNX 45 that both have Titanium Nitride coated barrels, neither show any wear at all with a LOT of ammo run through them.

It cost ~$50 a barrel to coat and well worth it IMO.. Gold is not the only color TiN is available in, mine are both black

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Kimber 45 and a FNX 45 that both have Titanium Nitride coated barrels, neither show any wear at all with a LOT of ammo run through them.

It cost ~$50 a barrel to coat and well worth it IMO.. Gold is not the only color TiN is available in, mine are both black
I could be totally wrong, but my understanding was that the nature of Titanium Nitride provided the gold color. DLC is supposedly the best (but black color only), with PVD offering different colors. Black nitride is yet another option, not as durable as DLC, but also obviously in black only. Each option has differences in thickness, hardness, and lubricity.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I got the email for these today. Not a fan but I’m sure there’s a market for this stuff. Hey Sig, if you’re listening, I’m still waiting for a BBL-220-45-T to get back in stock. C’MON.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is considered a higher quality barrel. Right up there with Bar-Sto only the Faxon doesn't require fitting.
Probably a separate topic, but what then makes a "higher quality" barrel? If it isn't fitted, does it provide any benefit in accuracy? I have a KKM drop-in barrel for a Glock G20, but I wanted it for the fully supported chamber to run hotter 10mm rounds. It definitely doesn't have a tight fit to the slide. But the workmanship and finish do make it seem to be "higher quality" than the OEM barrel. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

How does it compare to barrels that are DLC coated?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I could be totally wrong, but my understanding was that the nature of Titanium Nitride provided the gold color. DLC is supposedly the best (but black color only), with PVD offering different colors. Black nitride is yet another option, not as durable as DLC, but also obviously in black only. Each option has differences in thickness, hardness, and lubricity.
It can be Gold, Rose, Black or what they call rainbow. Generally gold.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It can be Gold, Rose, Black or what they call rainbow. Generally gold.
It may be that the "natural" TiN color is gold, but the introduction of other elements during application in a similar process can generate other colors. This company lists other colors under the TiN Slide Coating umbrella:
  • Available In Gold (TiN), Black (AlTiN), Copper/Rose (TiCN), And Silver/Grey (TiB2)
From this website Middle Branch Machine - TiN Slide Coating

·
Registered
163 Posts
Probably a separate topic, but what then makes a "higher quality" barrel? If it isn't fitted, does it provide any benefit in accuracy? I have a KKM drop-in barrel for a Glock G20, but I wanted it for the fully supported chamber to run hotter 10mm rounds. It definitely doesn't have a tight fit to the slide. But the workmanship and finish do make it seem to be "higher quality" than the OEM barrel. Thoughts?
I'm not an expert in barrels, but here's what I found regarding Faxon barrels. None of this guarantees that it's "better" than the OEM barrel, but reviews are very positive regarding these barrels. That said, I run OEM barrels in all of my P320s except for one that I run a Double Diamond barrel in because I wanted a silver barrel and couldn't find an OEM one. I've had no issues with any of the barrels I use. I also have a KKM in a Glock because I wanted a threaded barrel for a comp....it works fine too.

Why Faxon Pistol Barrels?
  • 4150 or 416-R Stainless - Only the best steels for durability, longevity, and accuracy.
  • 9mm SAAMI Chambers - Superior accuracy with complete SAAMI compatibility & boring reliability.
  • Tighter Tolerances - Drop-in, yet better fitment and lock-up.
  • Conventional Rifling - Fully compatible with cast bullets
  • 11 Degree Target Crown

What Recent Buyers Report
The barrel features impeccable quality of manufacturing and has tight tolerances when installed in the weapon. It shoots flawlessly, and also suits the lightweight and compact Sig P320 due to its flame-fluted design. The muzzle end of the barrel also doesn’t stick out too much from the frame. So it doesn’t create holstering, comfort or concealment issues for the user.
Why it Stands Out To Us
The major factors as to why we included it in our list are aesthetics, durability and ergonomic design. The coating over the barrel is not only attractive, but it imparts exceptional wear and corrosion resistance to the barrel. Plus the reduction in weight due to fluting also helps with convenient handling.
Who Will Use This Most
The barrel will obviously be used by EDC users with the Sig P320 compact. The design and finish of the barrel eliminate the chances of any feeding and reliability issues, whatsoever. Plus it is also good for training since the conventional rifling works very well for cast ammunition.
What Could Be Improved and Why
The barrel could be shortened just a little. By approximately 0.5 inches to be exact. So it shouldn’t create any holster issues, since the barrel is to be used with a compact weapon. Plus the chamber isn’t marked with the caliber, which can be an issue for people using conversion kits.
Bottom Line
This Sig P320 barrel has an eye-catching appearance and a durable build to withstand the test of time. The fluting helps with handling the weapon and the knurled thread cap is quick and easy to remove. A great addition for EDC and CCW users.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts