SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the the Hogue Rubber grip for my 938, which currently has the aluminum grips (nightmare model). I currently keep blue loctite on the grip screws, but I really don't like that as a permanent solution, as I like to take them off to clean regularly. Especially now that I have the two different grips, I will be swapping to the rubber for range use, and back to aluminum if carrying.

I know there were some threads, or at least posts I have come across on O-Rings, and I searched looking for the exact thread and couldn't find it.

Could someone who has started using O-Rings on their grips for the 938 chime in, and let me know exactly which size it is I'd need? Also, do they ever start to come loose from shooting? Would they work on both the rubber AND aluminum grips the same?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would be hesistant to take your grips on and off every time you clean your gun. The frame area that is threaded is very thin aluminum and with repeated use, the threads might wear out. I would limit the amount of times you take your grips off. Plus i think sig considers removing grips "armourers level maintance" so you will not be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
I'm with MC that the Hogue BRG will hold torque without the o-rings.

I prefer to practice with my carry pistol in the same configuration as I carry it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I use #60 on 1911 grips. Hogue or Pachmeyer or not needed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I know the frame is soft, because I stripped it once already haha. I dont' take the grips off every time, but when I do a full clean it makes it a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be hesistant to take your grips on and off every time you clean your gun. The frame area that is threaded is very thin aluminum and with repeated use, the threads might wear out. I would limit the amount of times you take your grips off. Plus i think sig considers removing grips "armourers level maintance" so you will not be covered by warranty.
I have to disagree here. I stripped my frame, told them I did it while removing grips for cleaning, and they retapped it for me under warranty :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
To be honest, I don't know how good O-rings actually are on a gun, other than to protect the grip from the screw head. My 1911 with what appears to be VZ factory grips has them, but they nonetheless loosen after firing about 50 rounds or so. IIRC, even with the Extremes the P938 didn't have them, but the grips never loosened, even after 135 rounds. Certainly, they don't hurt and will protect your grips, but I wouldn't rely on them to actually "lock" the screw head in place.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest, I don't know how good O-rings actually are on a gun, other than to protect the grip from the screw head. My 1911 with what appears to be VZ factory grips has them, but they nonetheless loosen after firing about 50 rounds or so. IIRC, even with the Extremes the P938 didn't have them, but the grips never loosened, even after 135 rounds. Certainly, they don't hurt and will protect your grips, but I wouldn't rely on them to actually "lock" the screw head in place.
Yeah I'm actually considering just continuing with the loctite for now, and sticking with the rubber grips for a while. ThnkFrst makes a good point saying you should practice the same way you carry.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah I'm actually considering just continuing with the loctite for now, and sticking with the rubber grips for a while. ThnkFrst makes a good point saying you should practice the same way you carry.
I agree. Mine came stock with the BRG but I didn't care for them, and replaced them with Hogue G-10 Piranhas. I didn't put the BRG's back on until I had to send the gun in to Sig.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I use the #60 O-Ring on a 220 with hogue grips that won't take the locking washers and on a 938. Haven't had a chance to shoot the 938 much but they seem to work on the 220. The o-rings were in the plumbing department.

·
Registered
35,878 Posts
I have o rings on 3 Sigs now and not once have they ever worked loose. #60 for me also.

Welcome to Sig Talk sig78257
Good to have you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I noticed something today that may apply to this thread.

My wife and I recently purchased a pair of 938 with the rosewood grips. We both decided to switch to the Hogue rubber grips. I noticed when I switched the grips that the screws, when snugged down, protruded through the frame into the mag well (actually contacts the mag when inserted). When I back them off a tad they did not feel snug and would become loose. I bought some small washers and o-rings to try in hopes of curing the issue.

Today, before cleaning the guns, I decided to do some side by side comparing. I put the rosewood grip (with just the screws) on one side of my wife's gun and the rubber grip (using screws + o-ring) on mine. I found that using the o-rings with the rubber grip sets the screw engagement about the same as the rosewood grip with just the screw (as the gun came from the factory). I think the Hogue rubber grips are thinner in the area of the top screw hole.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
I think the optimum screw length is one that ends up flush with the inner frame wall; long enough to fully engage all the threads in the frame for maximum strength while not interfering with the mag.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I noticed something today that may apply to this thread.

My wife and I recently purchased a pair of 938 with the rosewood grips. We both decided to switch to the Hogue rubber grips. I noticed when I switched the grips that the screws, when snugged down, protruded through the frame into the mag well (actually contacts the mag when inserted). When I back them off a tad they did not feel snug and would become loose. I bought some small washers and o-rings to try in hopes of curing the issue.

Today, before cleaning the guns, I decided to do some side by side comparing. I put the rosewood grip (with just the screws) on one side of my wife's gun and the rubber grip (using screws + o-ring) on mine. I found that using the o-rings with the rubber grip sets the screw engagement about the same as the rosewood grip with just the screw (as the gun came from the factory). I think the Hogue rubber grips are thinner in the area of the top screw hole.

This is because there are two different screw lengths. The wood grips are thicker than the BRG and the G10 grips. When you replace the wood grips, you need to use the standard shorter screws. the longer screws will protrude into your magwel and cause issues, and running short scews with wood grips is just as bad of an idea since you will have very little thread engagement. By putting O rings under your screws, you are limiting the amount of thread engagement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts