SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried a few searches but not come up with a definitive answer. My question is regarding 9mm 115 versus 124 grain. Do folks have an opinion on which is better in terms of accuracy for a P226?
If you prefer one over the other are there any particular reasons why.
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
No, generally speaking, one is no more accurate than the other. That is an issue that relates more to the shooter than the bullet. The P226 is a very accurate pistol, and, depending on the manufacturer, the 115 and 124 grain bullets are among the most reliable and accurate available.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
Determine what role the particular weapon is filling.
I found a defensive round that I liked/performed well, 124gr HST standard pressure, then picked range ammo that approximates that performance.

Our last big ammo purchase was a mix of Perfecta and Rem umc in 115, we also have a fair amount of 124 (forgot the brand-federal's American Eagle maybe?) thus our range time is a proportional mix of both.

Worth considering that not all ammo of a particular grain/manufacturer is going to perform equally out of the same gun nor across multiple guns. Follow?

We have a couple of guns that don't fill a defensive role thus we only shoot the 115 gr out of them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Except in cases of factory defects, brand name equipment doesn't determine accuracy anymore. You have a Sig. It's going to be as accurate as you are, no more, no less. That being said, I find 124 gr more comfortable to shoot. For my money, the increased bullet weight helps me mitigate muzzle-flip. But seriously, it's not going to effect accuracy. Just buy a few different weights and see what feels best to you.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
There are too many factors involved to make a "blanket statement", so to speak.

In most cases the heavier the projectile normally means a longer "bearing surface" in contact with the rifling. That is normally determined by the twist rate of the rifling, normally the faster twists do better with heavier projectiles, and the slower twists with the lighter ones.

More specifically, the more consistent, the velocity between shots or as seen in some charts as "Standard Deviation" means velocity differences between shots in a string.

Using factory ammunition, it's best to try several different weights and brands, to see which "groups" better. Then stock up on that brand and weight.

Normally 124 grain being in the middle of the weight spectrum will stabilize well in most handguns.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've tried a few searches but not come up with a definitive answer. My question is regarding 9mm 115 versus 124 grain. Do folks have an opinion on which is better in terms of accuracy for a P226?
If you prefer one over the other are there any particular reasons why.
Thanks in advance.
I shoot the grain size that gives me POI for my POA ..

My Tanfoglio Model TZ75 Series 88 likes 115 grain 9mm HP while my Beretta PX4 Sub Compact likes 147 grain HP for point of impact to match point of aim ..

My Sig Legion P229 in 40S&W seems to like 180 grain ..

So shoot off a rest and see which one yours likes or shoots too !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.