SIG Talk banner

Normal wear or trouble? P220

1675 21
I was cleaned my P220 after firing it and saw this circular wear on the rail next to the slide lock. The hole is where the pin that holds the hammer spring is inserted. Is this normal? It almost looks like the head of the pin was sheared off. Sorry for size of the image. If someone can minimize it I would appreciate it.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's nomal wear. That's a roll pin inside that hole so no pin head was sheared off. The wear marks comes from the slide rails mating with the frame rails. That circular area there could have some metal flakes from machining that could have been removed by the slide action removing some material and giving you that appearance.

Lube and shoot to your heart's desire. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! You all are the best. I didn't notice it the first time I cleaned it, and I shot it a lot today. That eases my mind. I was hoping I didn't screw something up. I was using the lube from the tube supplied in the case, but I didn't put anywhere near as much as in the photo from grayguns. That's some beaucoup grease!

This is such a sweet pistol. My buddy shot it today and couldn't get over how nice the trigger was. I'm saving for my next one...

·
🎖USA Veteran
12,081 Posts
I was cleaned my P220 after firing it and saw this circular wear on the rail next to the slide lock. The hole is where the pin that holds the hammer spring is inserted. Is this normal? It almost looks like the head of the pin was sheared off. Sorry for size of the image. If someone can minimize it I would appreciate it.
That's your sear spring pin. It anchors the sear spring which holds the sear against the hammer. It is a roll pin which is pressed into the frame (not removable at the "user" level).

I think that the metal around the hole is upset just a bit when the pin is press into position in the frame and then the anodizing flakes off a little during operation. Pretty normal and nothing to be concerned with IMHO.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Mrs. Flash recently got a new all stainless meat injector and I inherited her old plastic one.

I cut off around ½" of the end of the needle, where the openings were and voila, a syringe for putting lube on my guns.

Works great.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If one applies that much lube as seen in those pictures, 98% will be wiped off the first time the slide racks. Looks like a waste of grease. All that will remain is a slight film between the fitted parts which is very normal. You will have to take a rag and wipe off the excess. Does anyone here remember people working on their cars and putting that yellow weatherstrip adhesive on parts for gasket sealer? Reminds me of that. 99% was squeezed out. Neat wasn't it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If one applies that much lube as seen in those pictures, 98% will be wiped off the first time the slide racks. Looks like a waste of grease. All that will remain is a slight film between the fitted parts which is very normal. You will have to take a rag and wipe off the excess. Does anyone here remember people working on their cars and putting that yellow weatherstrip adhesive on parts for gasket sealer? Reminds me of that. 99% was squeezed out. Neat wasn't it.
Yeah. I remember. I am all for lubrication, but after a point the excess has to go somewhere. I wouldn't want it in my eyes or on my hands when I'm shooting the weapon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.