SIG Talk banner

Noob from PA with a 229 extreme that sometimes doesn't want to eat her food

767 16
Got a 9mm 229 Extreme in July and it has been getting hung up on the feed ramp with pretty much all types of ammo. That's what brought me here, I found a thread about a guy with exact same promo deal P229EXTM and exact same problem. 9miller was his name but idk how to tag people yet. Bullets would get stuck at least once every range trip, usually shooting blazer 115gr. I have to tap the slide forward then it will chamber. It was really bad when I shot TULA out of it, multiple times per magazine. I'm going to give her 2 more range trips and see what happens. Well over 1,000 rounds through her already. Thanks for having me
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Welcome from TN
I have to agree with firearms on this one. My P229 was my first gun and at first I had a few feed and ejection issues. I was advised to stay with 124 grain for awhile (break-in) and try a variety of ammo brands. I did that and now two years later, she will eat any ammo, though I still do not feed her garbage. I also do not buy 115 grain for any of my sig, but thats just my OCD. She desires a little respect in her diet. I believe every individual firearm can have its own preferences in ammo brands. Good luck and I hope the issues work out for you.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Got a 9mm 229 Extreme in July and it has been getting hung up on the feed ramp with pretty much all types of ammo. That's what brought me here, I found a thread about a guy with exact same promo deal P229EXTM and exact same problem. 9miller was his name but idk how to tag people yet. Bullets would get stuck at least once every range trip, usually shooting blazer 115gr. I have to tap the slide forward then it will chamber. It was really bad when I shot TULA out of it, multiple times per magazine. I'm going to give her 2 more range trips and see what happens. Well over 1,000 rounds through her already. Thanks for having me
Yes, that's aggravating when the pistol will not chamber the round.
A couple of things can cause this. Does this P229 have the long extractor? The extractor springs can be too stiff and give trouble loading because it causes the round to not go straight in, but cocked some.
A new recoil spring can help but I know something better. Get your hands on a P228 recoil spring and cut one coil off the big end. Also check on your recoil spring and make sure the small end of the spring is installed first.
The 9mm recoil spring for the 229 is the weakest recoil spring made. Let the recoil spring bumb the slide shut for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This same thing just happened to me today at the range. I have a German p226 that I myself have fed 1,000 rounds through and who knows how many her previous owner fed her. I use 115 grain and occasionally 124 grain but always the same brands... today however, I ran out so I used some of my friends ammo, blazer 115 grain, and she had your same exact issues. So I went to the range store, got my usual ammo, and voila, no problems... so for me, I think it was the blazer ammo. Not using that stuff again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, that's aggravating when the pistol will not chamber the round.
A couple of things can cause this. Does this P229 have the long extractor? The extractor springs can be too stiff and give trouble loading because it causes the round to not go straight in, but cocked some.
A new recoil spring can help but I know something better. Get your hands on a P228 recoil spring and cut one coil off the big end. Also check on your recoil spring and make sure the small end of the spring is installed first.
The 9mm recoil spring for the 229 is the weakest recoil spring made. Let the recoil spring bumb the slide shut for you.
Thanks everybody. I will try some better 124gr next time I shoot and see what happens. FJGIIE It does have the long extractor but it seems to move just fine. I've noticed the recoil spring does seem a little weak.
https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=1&mID=4&dID=253
^Should I try one of these springs and if so do you know which weight to pick?

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my experience, FTF is typically caused by a defect of the magazine, either sticky innards (caused by not cleaning out the anti-corrosive factory packing), a deformed follower, or deformed magazine lips.

If you've ruled-out the above typical causes yet experience FTF with only certain mags, throw out said mags and carry on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.