SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really impressed with all the online advertising from Night Fisiion and decided to replace my front night sight with one of their products. I ordered it on 7/25/2022. It arrived on 7/27/22 via UPS. I took it and my handgun to my local gun smith on 8/3/2022. This is a person who has been doing work for me for nearly 2 years. He knows what he is doing. The sight worked just fine. He took it into a dark room to make sure it worked properly.

On 8/12 I noticed that it seemed to be a bit fainter than it had been earlier. I unloaded the gun and let it sit under light for about 15 minutes and then took it into a dark room and took a picture, which I’ve included. It does not glow in the dark.

9 days and it does not work. I’ve also included the shipping package which states, “Lifetime Warranty” It also states, “Brighter by Night” and “Built to last”

I have emailed Night Fision 5 times starting 8/12/2022. I have emailed them on their website and [email protected]. I have also called at least 3 times at 313-293-7100. This is the number posted on their website. The answering machine says leave a message and their customer service reps will get back to you.

So far this is total ****.

The product is ****. The night sight went out at 9 days, and they will not return my calls or emails.

They claim lifetime warranty. In my opinion, their product is junk, and their warranty is a scam. Otherwise, they would have gotten back in touch with me to arrange a refund or replacement.

Given their “customer service” or lack or. I want a refund. Their sight went out in 9 days. I don’t trust their products.

I hope they read this and reach out to me

Attachments

·
Registered
23,791 Posts
The sight is tritium, which uses a radioactive gas inside a glass vial to interact with a phosphorescent coating inside the glass to make them glow. Installing a tritium sight using a punch and hammer is asking for the little glass vial to crack. Then the radioactive glass slowly leaks out and the sight no longer glows. If the guy used that method to install/drift the sight, it probably cracked. It is always best to use a sight pusher with tritium sights.

Another, more remote possibility, is that the glass vial was defective and just shooting it caused it to crack. But that is very unlikely. There is only one or two companies that make those tritium vials and every brand uses the same source.

·
Registered
P365x Holosun 407k X2 Gr, P320 Carry MS, Ruger LCR .357, Glock 19.5
58 Posts
I was really impressed with all the online advertising from Night Fisiion and decided to replace my front night sight with one of their products. I ordered it on 7/25/2022. It arrived on 7/27/22 via UPS. I took it and my handgun to my local gun smith on 8/3/2022. This is a person who has been doing work for me for nearly 2 years. He knows what he is doing. The sight worked just fine. He took it into a dark room to make sure it worked properly.

On 8/12 I noticed that it seemed to be a bit fainter than it had been earlier. I unloaded the gun and let it sit under light for about 15 minutes and then took it into a dark room and took a picture, which I’ve included. It does not glow in the dark.

9 days and it does not work. I’ve also included the shipping package which states, “Lifetime Warranty” It also states, “Brighter by Night” and “Built to last”

I have emailed Night Fision 5 times starting 8/12/2022. I have emailed them on their website and [email protected]. I have also called at least 3 times at 313-293-7100. This is the number posted on their website. The answering machine says leave a message and their customer service reps will get back to you.

So far this is total ****.

The product is ****. The night sight went out at 9 days, and they will not return my calls or emails.

They claim lifetime warranty. In my opinion, their product is junk, and their warranty is a scam. Otherwise, they would have gotten back in touch with me to arrange a refund or replacement.

Given their “customer service” or lack or. I want a refund. Their sight went out in 9 days. I don’t trust their products.

I hope they read this and reach out to me
I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Night Fision. I have one of their perfect dot sights on my Shield Plus and its been excellent after about year of use. I'd keep reaching out to them. Personally I have better experience when I call in for help. Something to think about!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
The sight is tritium, which uses a radioactive gas inside a glass vial to interact with a phosphorescent coating inside the glass to make them glow. Installing a tritium sight using a punch and hammer is asking for the little glass vial to crack. Then the radioactive glass slowly leaks out and the sight no longer glows. If the guy used that method to install/drift the sight, it probably cracked. It is always best to use a sight pusher with tritium sights.

Another, more remote possibility, is that the glass vial was defective and just shooting it caused it to crack. But that is very unlikely. There is only one or two companies that make those tritium vials and every brand uses the same source.
Nowhere in the Op does he mention his smith using a hammer?
But if you look at the packaging it does show a hammer and brags about bullet proof glass. 😎
Vertebrate Mammal Font Advertising Poster

·
Registered
23,791 Posts
Nowhere in the Op does he mention his smith using a hammer?
But if you look at the packaging it does show a hammer and brags about bullet proof glass. 😎
View attachment 471569
I said "if" his guy used that common technique.

And they might be talking about the material for the sight blade, and probably not the glass vial which they would have purchased from a supplier of tritium lamps that other sight manufacturers would also be using. Don't think, they could make a "bullet proof" - or "hammer proof" - wall in that tiny glass vial.

Just offering an explanation that happens quite often. And why I have an MGW Sight-Pro. So that won't happen.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I said "if" his guy used that common technique.

And they might be talking about the material for the sight blade, and probably not the glass vial which they would have purchased from a supplier of tritium lamps that other sight manufacturers would also be using. Don't think, they could make a "bullet proof" - or "hammer proof" - wall in that tiny glass vial.

Just offering an explanation that happens quite often. And why I have an MGW Sight-Pro. So that won't happen.
Eyes are tired. Missed the if.
I agree on being careful installing night sights

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
You first contacted them on Friday 8-12-22, which is two business days ago- (Monday was day 1, today is day 2)... Perhaps they came in from the weekend and were slammed with work. Maybe they are away on vacation. It's possible they're out sick.

Give them a chance to get back to you. Patience, grasshopper.

·
Registered
23,791 Posts
I just read this on their site:

Our Standard Height Sights are made to upgrade directly from your handgun manufacturer’s sights to a high quality, engineered night sight. Like all our night sights, they carry our patented domed lenses that collimate the emitted light from our substantial tritium vials. Those vials are housed in ballistic polymer that is impregnated with fluorescent or phosphorescent pigment for a multi-tasking, bright daytime ring.

They embed the glass tritium vial in the "bullet proof glass". I would think that should at least slow the leak of tritium should the glass vial break. I don't know if that material would also crack, or if it could absorb the shock and remain intact. Either way, if it truly makes their sights tougher, that points even more to the guy who installed them, as having been a bit too rough with the installation. IMHO.

Reactions: Bahn and Nilla

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts

I agree, and you can also crack a vile using a sight pusher if enough material is not removed from the sight to make it fit (been there, done that). It sounds like an installation error, but that is no excuse for the company not to return emails. This is more likely with a thinner tritium sight (like a .12 or .13 versus a .14 width sight) especially on universal sight pushers where the contact points are not perfect.

Reactions: Bahn and Nilla

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I heard from Night Fison this morning. The CSR said she had been on vacation and didn't have any emails or calls from me earlier than 8/15. Sounds like CYA to me. 1. If she had changed her answering machine much of this issue could have been avoided or if someone else in the company had covered the emails and phone calls this issue could have been covered. That's what we did when I was a CFO in a former life. She wanted me to return the sight and send me a new one. I pointed out that I did not want another one and that the warranted details allowed for a refund. They are sending me a refund.

I am done with them and I am sure they are done with me.

·
Registered
P365XL with Holosun 507K, P320C
31 Posts
Never tried Night Fision. Good experience with Ameriglo on several Glock and Sig pistols.

The only tritium failure I’ve ever had was my P365XL right out of the box. Called Sig. They sent me a box to ship my slide in. They got in the next day. Fixed and shipped back same day. I was without the pistol for 3 days total. Love SIG support.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts