SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I purchased my new Sig today, it's time for me to start planning my next purchase. I am in the market for a CC pistol, and one that I can conceal under a t-shirt would be great. My problem is my huge hands. I'm a big guy period, but my hands...good grief. There are some 2XL gloves that don't fit.

I really like the look of the 229 Legion and the M11-A1, but I wish the grip extended just another half inch or so. The bottom of my fist overlaps the bottom of the grip, and I'm not sure that will result in a pleasant shooting experience.

My 220 feels awesome, and the 229s I have held fit my hands well, but the 229s are a little large for warm weather CC. The half inch on length and height doesn't look like much on paper, but the real world result is a substantial size difference between those models.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would look for some grip extensions. I know that someone makes them but I don't know for what models. I like the 239 for CCW as it is really flat and conceals well. I will be picking up the P229C limited Edition Carry model Wednesday. It has the 229 frame and the 224 slide and barrel at 3.5 inches. Those are getting hard to find though.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Welcome from PA!

How about a 1911 Commander sized gun? Easy to carry, 4.25" barrel same grip handle as full sized 1911, fires the .45 acp

·
Premium Member
11,970 Posts
If your pinky has a good purchase on the bottom of the mag, then some fist/palm overlap at the bottom shouldn't be a big deal. Case in point...many of us who have carried a subcompact like a Glock 26 can shoot it just fine with the pinky actually off the grip and curled underneath. But then when you add a Pearce pinky extension, it becomes that much better, and the area of palm still overlapping the side/rear bottom of grip is pretty much irrelevant.

But based on the latter part of your post, you may also want to consider a P220 Carry...P220 with a shorter barrel but still full-length grip. But still kinda' big and heavy for T-shirt weather.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
T-Shirt? Agree with others to try the grips on a 225 or a 239.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Dang near! If one's hand has overlap at the bottom of a P229 grip, we are talking big hands! I wear XL glove size and the P229 with standard magazine has the pistol butt even with the lower edge of my hand. With the +2 extended mag (40 cal), all the extension is below my hand.

And here I was thinking I had big hands? Well, at least I think they are bigger than Trump's. :)

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts
With paws that big... I'd look at a P227, maybe an SAS version, if necessary with wooden grips... and additional stippling... for "good" grip!!!

Your first priority is being able to "control" what you carry! You can always wear lighter weight oversized overgarments, to conceal it!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I really like the look of the 229 Legion and the M11-A1, but I wish the grip extended just another half inch or so. The bottom of my fist overlaps the bottom of the grip, and I'm not sure that will result in a pleasant shooting experience.
Same problem here. My solution is a +2 magazine. It extends 3/4" beyond the bottom of the grips.

M11A1 with extended mag. It conceals inside the waist all day long and I live with great warm weather in Florida year long.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same problem here. My solution is a +2 magazine. It extends 3/4" beyond the bottom of the grips.

M11A1 with extended mag. It conceals inside the waist all day long and I live with great warm weather in Florida year long.

The extended mag lets you get a firm grip and doesn't hinder CC? I like that idea. I wonder if the reduced beaver tail on the 229 Legion would help keep my hand where it needs to be. The trigger job on the Legion is also attractive, but the price tag and and phosphate coating on the m11-a1 are also appealing.

Yes, I have mitts for hands. When I last went into the department store to order a watch, I of course had to order extra links. The lady behind the counter didn't believe me when I said I needed four extra links. I showed her my hands and she said "wow, you don't even need a racquet to play tennis!" *sigh* she isn't wrong.

To all: I like the 220 carry, but am looking for something in a smaller caliber. Don't get me wrong, I love my 220 SSE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,970 Posts
I usually wear XL sized gloves mainly for finger length, so I have fairly large hands but not huge meathooks. On my P228, a little bit of flesh/palm pad hangs underneath, but feel-wise it's unnoticeable...more like extra skin than actual gripping contact. Pinky purchase is fine with the magazine.

With subcompacts that are specifically for 'two-finger' grips, I'm fine and a lot of shooters find that you don't really need your pink in play, but when the pistol is supposed to be ;full-grip' and it's like half a finger too short, I can see how that can feel uncomfortable even if it doesn't mechanically hinder shooting.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I would try a P229 with Hogue wrap round rubber grips and the MecGar mags with +2 extension. The downside of the rubber grips is that cover garment will hang up on them, so you're kinda constantly pulling the shirt/vest/jacket down.
If you get the P229 in .40 or .357 you can also go multi caliber. Just drop a barrel in the caliber you want (OEM for .40 and .357, BarSto conversion for 9mm).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Dang near! If one's hand has overlap at the bottom of a P229 grip, we are talking big hands! I wear XL glove size and the P229 with standard magazine has the pistol butt even with the lower edge of my hand. With the +2 extended mag (40 cal), all the extension is below my hand.

And here I was thinking I had big hands? Well, at least I think they are bigger than Trump's. :)
Here you go. Print out this to scale pdf, and you can compare your hand to Trump's.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Meena/TrumpsHand-outline.pdf

And, here's some background on how the supposedly got his exact hand size The Best #TrumpMyHand Reactions | Hollywood Reporter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts