SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this is a couple dumb questions but I got zero info or book with my gun I bought with the romeo already mounted, So.....

I do not see the red dot I see a red haze up top or bottom depending on how I tilt the gun. (Store demo was great, clear and easy).... What am I doing wrong?

My gun was listed as a 320F on the case....

Is there a manual I can download for the Romeo?

Thanks for helping with dumb questions....

Jim

·
🎖USA Veteran
227 Posts
If you don't have an astigmatism, first thing I would do is clean the emmiter, then clean the glass inside and out.

·
🎖USA Veteran
227 Posts
Been there, tried it. SIG suppressor sights will NOT co-witness on the X-Carry with the Romeo1. Maybe on the full size but not the X-Carry. I did not research any further to see if there were other brand sights that might. Since mine is for range shooting, I finally took the front sight off. The suppressor height just got too much in the way and it was annoying seeing it along with the red dot. Factory height sight does the same, but obviously not as much.
You need to learn how to use a rds properly. You focus on the target not on your sights. Then bring your pistol up into your view till the dot appears on the target while both eyes are open while still focusing on the target and not on the sights. The dot should just superimpose on the target, but never be your focus. With this method you should be ignoring your iron sights all together. The irons really are only there if the dot fails. They should be blurry and basically disappear with this technique.

·
🎖USAF Retired
Sig MCX/MPX/516/716G2
556 Posts
Are you sure it’s turned on? If so adjust the brightness level. Sometimes if it’s set too bright you can get a haze. Like mentioned earlier clean the emitter and glass. I use a Q tip and alcohol. Ensure your sight and eye are lined up properly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do not see the red dot I see a red haze up top or bottom depending on how I tilt the gun. (Store demo was great, clear and easy).... What am I doing wrong?
/QUOTE]

Are you sure the battery is installed? It came separately with mine and had to be installed.. worth checking.

Commo

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
The dot should just superimpose on the target, but never be your focus. With this method you should be ignoring your iron sights all together. The irons really are only there if the dot fails. They should be blurry and basically disappear with this technique.
I use the red dot as backup to iron sights in low light. The iron sights are co-witnessed with supressor height tritium iron sights. When I present on target from AIWB draw cycle (one or two handed, right or left handed, ambidextrous, no difference) the irons are exactly point on target. If the red dot is turned on it exactly lines up with the irons. I found this approach greatly accelerated my draw, presentation and double tap precision for EDC CCW, which is my use case. Using the approach you described, which I once used, if the red dot fails, you loose valuable time in the gun fight to hunt for irons because of the orthogonal use of irons versus RDS. In a SD scenario you always revert to trained conditioning.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I shoot off of a rest I find the red dot is right on top of the front sight. All of my guns have the three dot sights so a lot of times I don't turn on the red dot and just use the irons.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
This linked thread is a compilation of observations, hints, advice, and videos from some experts:

·
🎖USA Veteran
227 Posts
I use the red dot as backup to iron sights in low light. The iron sights are co-witnessed with supressor height tritium iron sights. When I present on target from AIWB draw cycle (one or two handed, right or left handed, ambidextrous, no difference) the irons are exactly point on target. If the red dot is turned on it exactly lines up with the irons. I found this approach greatly accelerated my draw, presentation and double tap precision for EDC CCW, which is my use case. Using the approach you described, which I once used, if the red dot fails, you loose valuable time in the gun fight to hunt for irons because of the orthogonal use of irons versus RDS. In a SD scenario you always revert to trained conditioning.
You don't loose any time whatsoever as presenting your pistol in the way I described would also get hits on target in a self defense situation with just the window. Hell you can point shoot using the back of the slide as a refrance or your grip and thumbs if you have a proper grip. why would you have to search for your irons if your red dot went down as they are right there? Again this goes to practice and training. It's far easier in an emergency situation to revert from a single focuse on your target with both eyes open through the window then bring your sights into focus as they are right there because you already have proper presentation because you used the red dot properly.

Your method makes no sense and defeats the whole purpose of the red dot and actually slows you down whether you think it does or not. Your eyes can not focus on multiple objects. You can not focus on your sights, the target, and the red dot. In your method you have to align two sights up then align them up to the target then shift focus to the red dot. This all takes time, focus and brain power. It slows down reaction time.

It has shown in classes that using them correctly has sped up presentation and engagement of the target. We even do drills with the optic off to teach optic failure engagements.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
You don't loose any time whatsoever as presenting your pistol in the way I described would also get hits on target in a self defense situation with just the window. Hell you can point shoot using the back of the slide as a refrance or your grip and thumbs if you have a proper grip. why would you have to search for your irons if your red dot went down as they are right there? Again this goes to practice and training. It's far easier in an emergency situation to revert from a single focuse on your target with both eyes open through the window then bring your sights into focus as they are right there because you already have proper presentation because you used the red dot properly.

Your method makes no sense and defeats the whole purpose of the red dot and actually slows you down whether you think it does or not. Your eyes can not focus on multiple objects. You can not focus on your sights, the target, and the red dot. In your method you have to align two sights up then align them up to the target then shift focus to the red dot. This all takes time, focus and brain power. It slows down reaction time.

It has shown in classes that using them correctly has sped up presentation and engagement of the target. We even do drills with the optic off to teach optic failure engagements.
My approach works in real-life, try my approach before you condem it. Referring to what others teach is not a response (shows debating weakness). Technique continually evolves. Your assumptions are incorrect. In my approach you don’t focus on multiple objects, as they merge together as one. The red dot is exactly on the tritium dot of the front sight when irons are aligned, visually superposing the tritium dot. Here is a picture as best as I could take it now one handed. When irons are aligned, red dot is the tritium front dot sight. This is not a theoretical discussion; it works in real-life and its much faster than old technique you propose to support. Training for multiple sighting scenarios leads to hesitation. It is foolish to criticise this method when you never trained it. Speed and accuracy on target increase dramatically. I also measured the performance and accurracy increase using a shot timer and El Presidente drill to validate to colleagues.
Sky Cloud Automotive lighting Flash photography Gas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts