SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today is my first day carrying concealed with my new permit. What a day, lol. I have a bulls-eye holster, which looks like it's leather on the back and that newer material that moulds to the shape of the gun in the front- kyvex?- not sure what the name is. So anyway I first try wearing it with my P320C inside waistband around the appendix area. That position conceals well, I don't think anybody noticed it at the mall, but the tip of it near the end of the barrel or the barrel itself was rubbing on the top of my thigh every single step until I had to move it or have a bleeding thigh.

So next I tried 3 o'clock, which was a lot more comfortable, but imprints a lot more. I quickly switched it to about 3:30, but I think some people can still tell. Is this normal to have a slight imprint when I move certain ways, etc. even with a big t-shirt? Should I be looking for a new holster? Maybe I am doing this wrong. Maybe I should try it right at 12 o'clock?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Carry location is a very personal subject, and if you ask 10 people, you will probably get ten slightly different answers.

At the end of the day, carry where it is most comfortable. If you like the appendix carry (aiwb) than I would encourage you to look at holsters specific designed for aiwb carry. That will help with your friction issue.

When I carry outside the waistband, it's at 3 or 3:30. IWB is usually at 4. I find a 4:00 carry makes it slightly easier to conceal as the profile of the grips are slightly behind me and not sticking straight out my side.

Is it more obvious? Here's the deal. Those of us who are trained to spot weapons will do so. If you are giving concealment a valid effort, John Q. Public isn't going to notice. He's too busy on his phone. Half of the battle is overcoming the paranoia associated with being "discovered." Retain your firearm safely, and leave it alone. The constant readjustment of clothing draws more attention than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
I use to fret about printing. I'm an old fart and face it.. nobody is paying me a bit of attention. The more I carried the less I worried about it. Now I don't even think about it.
Get comfortable with your carry. I'd rather print some than have to spend five minutes getting my gun out of my shorts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nightwind Nailed it. Appendix carry needs to be in a straight draw holster (no cant). Many holster makers have a specific AIWB option. If is a hybid (Big piece of leather with a half Kydex shell attached to it) it is most likely designed to be 3:00 to 4:00 carry which is were it will be more comfortable.

I also used to be paranoid about my gun showing. But I think most people don't notice anything if its IWB and if they do, it being a pistol is not their first guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Make sure you have a nice gun belt. A gun often prints as a belt sags under the weight. I have a hybrid holster that I use to carry at 4:00. It's gathering dust. A few months ago, I purchased an appendix specific holster and now carry it exclusively. Very comfortable. Check out Vedder and T-Rex holsters. Congrats on the carry permit. Most importantly, train train train. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
If I CCW my 229 in warm weather, it's in a Bianchi 100 Professional in the center back IWB. I wear a long Tshirt, then a loose open button shirt. Between the two there is minimal printing. Since you're in Florida, you can still wear that, just make sure it's thin breathable fabric or you'll burn up.

Alternatively, you could get a smaller gun you can hide in cargo shorts like a 938. Don't be nervous, people don't pay that close attention most of the time. Acting nervous will draw attention, so just do it regularly until you want to leave it at home because it's aggravatingly uncomfortable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you I didn't know there were specific appendix carry holsters. The 3-4 o'clock seems to print mostly because of the clip edge sticking out a bit it looks like. I saw something poking, and found out that was it. So maybe since it's a webbing type of belt that comes with cargo shorts, I need to wear a regular leather belt instead? Hmm

·
Registered
552 Posts
Doesn't have to be a leather gun belt, Nylon Riggers belts are fine, but they need to be double layer and reinforced with stitching or a polymer liner.
This is what I were mostly. I have the polymer lining. Its a very stiff gun belt.

Frequent Flyer Belt

Any of the Wilderness belts are fine. I use this one because of metal detectors I frequently encounter at work. Tired of having to constantly take it off.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Doesn't have to be a leather gun belt, Nylon Riggers belts are fine, but they need to be double layer and reinforced with stitching or a polymer liner.
This is what I were mostly. I have the polymer lining. Its a very stiff gun belt.

Frequent Flyer Belt

Any of the Wilderness belts are fine. I use this one because of metal detectors I frequently encounter at work. Tired of having to constantly take it off.
I too have the FF Wildness belt, using it for daily work wear because I install glass ---they won't scratch my lites. Also have one with the metal buckle but its still hanging on a nail somewhere here in the house. :)

I've not yet carried any weapon on the belt but if my experience with its "holding power" so far it would be a very good choice.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Carry location is a very personal subject, and if you ask 10 people, you will probably get ten slightly different answers.

At the end of the day, carry where it is most comfortable. If you like the appendix carry (aiwb) than I would encourage you to look at holsters specific designed for aiwb carry. That will help with your friction issue.

When I carry outside the waistband, it's at 3 or 3:30. IWB is usually at 4. I find a 4:00 carry makes it slightly easier to conceal as the profile of the grips are slightly behind me and not sticking straight out my side.

Is it more obvious? Here's the deal. Those of us who are trained to spot weapons will do so. If you are giving concealment a valid effort, John Q. Public isn't going to notice. He's too busy on his phone. Half of the battle is overcoming the paranoia associated with being "discovered." Retain your firearm safely, and leave it alone. The constant readjustment of clothing draws more attention than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is right by my estimation. It takes a little time for most, I think, to find the right carry system. I know it did for me. I now carry AIWB in the INCOG system, but there are a number of alternatives that are built specifically for this mode of carry. Rest assured that the average person isn't even thinking of you, let alone about the fact you are carrying a gun, but if you do manage to reveal that fact you're opening yourself up to any number of scenarios with which to contend. My advice is to work diligently to find your best mode of carry, find a way to discretely adjust as needed, and keep your hand off your gun in public. You never know when some idiot progressive is going to make a scene and you don't want to put yourself in the position of being dealt. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal until it is, so just keep that in mind. Think gray man...walk btwn the rain drops...avoid confrontation if at all possible and never try to be the hero. :D

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It's about concealment.....more than "invisibility" A lot of "printing" to your eye and knowledge of what is there.....will just look like a wrinkle in the shirt to almost anyone who notices. Most aren't paying any attention at all.

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
+1000 on a good gun belt. It is the foundation of your carry system, make certain it is a solid foundation.

As to appendix carry, it is my preferred method. An appendix specific holster makes all the difference in the world. Also, tweaking the position of the holster in the appendix position can make a lot of difference in your overall comfort. Movement of as little as 1/4" in one direction or the other can make or break it for you.

A couple of my favorite appendix holsters: Archangel or Zacchaeus by Dale Fricke and the Concealment Solutions ASP 3.1 or Pit Viper with Crossbreed Modular belly band all work very well for me in this application, carrying smaller firearms such as a J-frame/G43 to larger frames, such as a P229/G19.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Welcome to the world of CC and choosing to make the decision to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Lessons learned over the years....
No one location (apendex, 300 400 ect) is perfect. Prepare to experiment where YOU decide to carry. How much time are you driving or seated?
You will probably accumulate several holsters until you settle on what works for you.
Get a good belt as that is almost as key as the holster you select.
Become aware of your clothes fitment. Don't wear overly large clothing but also don't go for the body contouring style of clothing. I'm old so fashion is not foremost in my mind.
Random patterns in the shirt fabric are helpful to reduce "printing".
And lastly the best tip I can give you is........People are oblivious to you and the fact that you are CC. Dress properly, get a good belt and holster in the most comfortable location on your body and be carful to not repeatedly touch to verify your firearm's presence, and believe or not do not change your normal stride and stance as that's how you can most likely determine who is carrying and who is not.
Now stop over thinking it and just form the habit of ALWAYS carrying.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all your suggestions on the holsters and belts, I'm looking through them. One question I have, what happens when you appendix carry and need to sit down? Makes me think maybe the 3-4 o'clock might be better.

·
Premium Member
18,517 Posts
One question I have, what happens when you appendix carry and need to sit down? Makes me think maybe the 3-4 o'clock might be better.
Part of the tweaking process. Minor adjustments until you find the right spot. Some pants have a higher or lower waist, this can have an impact when seated.

I've been known to drive 100+ miles while carrying appendix. No problems for me.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Thank you for all your suggestions on the holsters and belts, I'm looking through them. One question I have, what happens when you appendix carry and need to sit down? Makes me think maybe the 3-4 o'clock might be better.
For me, appendix carry doesn't work...way too uncomfortable. The closest I get to that is in coat weather I can carry OWB on the side.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.