SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can folks explain why we should hide the numbers when posting photos or items for sale? I don't understand the implications.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Because people could register them and or claim to own them for insurance purposes.. If reported " stolen" could cause an issue....I play bass and people never give out SNs there either.. Same issues

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
i try to cover the last 3 numbers of the s/n when put up a pic/s.

you don't have to cover any part of the s/n, many don't when they post pics.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Theoretically I guess there is some risk. Realistically I think it is extremely low.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Paranoia. I used to be like that. To each their own.
Theoretically I guess there is some risk. Realistically I think it is extremely low.
Agreed with both of the above, yet I still do it myself. What's that old saying... "Better safe than sorry"? :cool:

It takes me all of 5 seconds to use the smudge tool in PS while I have the picture open if a S/N is showing to obscure the last few digits. Would rather take those extra 5 seconds that have that one-in-a-billion chance of some legal issues regarding my gun later on.

I've had enough of unwarranted legal issues in my life, so I take extra precautions whenever and wherever I can!!! :D

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I always try to smudge it out. Theoretically possible someone could report your gun as theirs and as stolen. Also possible they could register your Legion for the free useless secret decoder ring and then you wouldn't be part of the club.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Because people could register them and or claim to own them for insurance purposes.. If reported " stolen" could cause an issue....I play bass and people never give out SNs there either.. Same issues

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
This is the misconception, but as long as you have the receipt from where you purchased the gun, there should be no issues.

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is the misconception, but as long as you have the receipt from where you purchased the gun, there should be no issues.
Yup ^

I guess if you bought it from a private party you might be a tad bit more open for a problem...but then again how do you know the guy who owned it before you never posted a pic with the Serial number exposed?

I guess it can't hurt to cover the Ser number, but probably more paranoia than anything else...of course one of those that are out to get me will probably find a way. :eek:

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Registered
981 Posts
Probably for the same vague reason it's suggested you not post photos of children/grandchildren on the internet - once they are there, they never go away.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree with being more careful, though honestly I think I have done that at least once, posting a photo witht he serial number.

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1

If you are that paranoid why would you even post pics of your pistols and especially your collection? Someone may find out where you live!

·
Registered
3 Posts
S/N hide

it comes down to the fact that you would smudge or just not take a pic and post your car's license plate, why would you show your weapons S/N to the world

·
Registered
81 Posts
probably about the same risk as advertising that you have 50 guns on here and having someone find out your address and come rob you.

·
Registered
17,781 Posts
The vast majority of my guns were private party sales and I don't have receipts for the ones I bought from stores either.

OTOH, I don't keep receipts for anything I buy, and this is no different.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just post pics of the opposite side without the SN. I keep a pic of the side with the SN for my records only. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
The vast majority of my guns were private party sales and I don't have receipts for the ones I bought from stores either.

OTOH, I don't keep receipts for anything I buy, and this is no different.
But, they are still your guns, aren't they? Why the paranoia? Saying someone seeing the gun serial numbers and reporting them being theirs and were stolen is just the most ridiculous thing I hear.

If your guns were totally legal, then who will be in hot water? The crook who report them stolen, or you? Why would anyone be dumb enough to do a false reporting. Reporting that something was stolen from you doesn't make it so. Got to have proof. I have yet to hear of a single case where the crook was able to pull one off and came out on top.

If your guns were truly stolen properties, then wouldn't it be the right thing to turn them in? I know I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Identity theft. Your serial number probably can be traced back you. Be careful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts